ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDF Lounge > Chit-Chat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1966  
Old 11-18-18, 05:06 PM
Fuzzy12's Avatar
Fuzzy12 Fuzzy12 is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,312
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32,706
Thanked 30,809 Times in 14,171 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Oh, a party? Will there be refreshments?
If there will be popcorn, just try to keep me from being there!

I'd love to bring you a hug in person.
Lots and lots of cake. Apple Cake for starters and main and chocolate cake for dessert. I love cake but I'm feeling sick already.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-18), midnightstar (11-18-18)
  #1967  
Old 11-18-18, 05:09 PM
midnightstar's Avatar
midnightstar midnightstar is offline
Purriendly feline moderator
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 19,992
Blog Entries: 10
Thanks: 19,453
Thanked 23,850 Times in 14,107 Posts
midnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond reputemidnightstar has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

We love you, Fuzzy
__________________
Beauty (12th August 2007 - 3rd November 2008 )
Dylan (4th November 2008 - 23rd March 2012)
Tom (29th August 2014 - 17th October 2014)
Ebony (1st January 2014 - 2nd March 2018)
Tigger (31st October 2014 - current)
Willow (3rd November 2018 - current)
"No human should ever hurt an animal" Jessie, Animal Farm

Reply With Quote
  #1968  
Old 11-18-18, 05:19 PM
SashaBV SashaBV is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Helotes, TX
Posts: 281
Thanks: 160
Thanked 272 Times in 155 Posts
SashaBV will become famous soon enough
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

About pm companies...I once lived in an apartment with my DD and my boyfriend. The first unit I was in flooded at bit because of a cracked foundation in the building, leaving a soggy carpet. I reported it as soon as it happened, but nothing was done for days. Then they said, to move to another unit in the complex. So we did. That winter, there was "the big snow" (for the part of Texas we lived, it was rare to have ANY snow, and any significant accumulation like this was very unusual), leaving some damage in the covered parking, with the collapse of some of the covering structure from the weight of snow, damaging cars (not ours, thankfully). The snow also eventually resulted in no heat. You see, there were gas leaks, and when the owners of the complex wouldn't fix the leaks, the utility co. turned the gas off. Of course, the owners weren't local and the manager quit, so we were left to deal with another employee who had no power to do much, but was made manager. We moved when it was obvious nothing was going to be done. Some stayed a while, but stopped paying rent because everything went downhill from there. This was back in the early stages of a financial crash in Texas, so that was probably the ultimate cause of the owners inability to come up with money. My boyfriend (now husband) found out the complex owed money to many repair companies who were unable to collect. Eventually bankruptcy was declared.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SashaBV For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-19-18)
Sponsored Links
  #1969  
Old 11-18-18, 06:46 PM
tudorose's Avatar
tudorose tudorose is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Oz
Posts: 4,343
Thanks: 5,289
Thanked 5,616 Times in 2,422 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Onthe train to work on Monday morning and I realise I've left my breakfast and lunch at home
__________________
Half human, Half alien
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tudorose For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-18)
  #1970  
Old 11-18-18, 07:06 PM
stef's Avatar
stef stef is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: west of Paris
Posts: 18,594
Thanks: 38,296
Thanked 27,523 Times in 13,324 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Onthe train to work on Monday morning and I realise I've left my breakfast and lunch at home
that really is too bad
goodness, the time difference! it's already tomorrow for you.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stef For This Useful Post:
tudorose (11-19-18)
  #1971  
Old 11-18-18, 09:36 PM
willow129's Avatar
willow129 willow129 is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 2,755
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 2,245
Thanked 4,191 Times in 2,015 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

So...let's see...5 years ago I moved with my ex to where I live now. When I was interviewing for the job out here, I brought up that I know a musician who lives out here who has had a big impact on the folk music in this corner of the world. He is also, in this musical subculture of subcultures, known all around the country and he has written tunes that are played all around the country.

I met him through my ex, playing some gigs together, and also getting to be a guest at music camps that he was teaching at. I had a great time in his classes and sessions.

The teachers who interviewed me were excited because they hire him sometimes to help out with the music at the school productions. It was just like, a little small world connection. I didn't even expect that they would know him, but I thought it was pretty sweet that they did.

When my ex and I were deciding on apartments, my ex narrowed it down to 2 places, one of which was around the corner from where this musician lived at the time. I was like, it's a no brainer, obviously we need to be his neighbors!!! So my ex and I moved into the garage apartment on the property kitty-cornered with his. Our landlord lived in the house.

He has musical gatherings every Monday that he is around (though, he travels a lot) and I went to them for a bit. I've gotten busier at my school so Monday nights are hard now. But I go in the summers. I've played at his open band nights, and oh my gosh, when my ex and I broke up, they were one of the only places where I felt like I was ok.

I met my current sweetie at one of his Monday night sessions, and then again at his Halloween session, and then again at one of his open band nights.

A couple years ago, my grandpa turned 90. I really didn't know what to do for his birthday. Mr. Musician took me on a few walks that spring/summer and lunchtime dates and encouraged me that the idea that I had, which was to write him a piece of music, was a good one and that I should just do it. So I did. And it felt really good! Once I started, it all just came out of me. I played it for my grandpa and he cried! I hadn't seen him cry before. I think I would have been too shy if Mr. Musician hadn't encouraged me.

A couple years ago, Mr. Musician was having a really hard time with his housemates where he was living. He is really too old now to have these kinds of issues. All of his friends were encouraging him to find a new place to live. As luck would have it, right around then, my landlord decided he wanted to partially move out of the house here, and rent it to a couple of folks. So, he asked Mr. Musician if he would move in! So, after many trips around the corner, with help from neighbors and friends, Mr. Musician moved all of his many collected belongings to this house! Mr. Musician has been my "housemate" (though I actually live in the garage :P) for the past couple of years (along with a third musician.) So the Monday night sessions moved into the beautiful front room of this house. I can hear him jamming away with his friends when he is here. Happy sounds.

I really could not have imagined getting to be friends with him! I remember reading his tunes in my friends music books in high school, and learning some of them to perform with my band in college.

Over the summer he started to develop some odd health symptoms. Pain in his shoulders, and then his vocal cords started to seem to weaken, and he sounded like he was always losing his voice. He says he chokes easier now. He started losing weight. He was getting a lot of testing done in between traveling without a lot of answers. Since the beginning of the school year they figured out that he does not have throat cancer, didn't have a stroke, and it's not Parkinsons or multiple sclerosis.

He was going to get tested for ALS last week. I walked in to the house a couple of hours ago to do my laundry and he was in the kitchen cutting up veggies. He looked drained. I figured right away he must have gotten news, and also dreaded knowing what it was. I said "Hi! I didn't realize you were home!" He said he had just gotten in. I started to walk quickly through the kitchen. I said, "how are you doing?" extra energetically. And he said, "not too good, actually." His voice was still hoarse. He kept cutting up things for a minute and then put down his knife and said, "I should tell you..." So, about 5 days ago, he found out he has ALS.

I guess I haven't really had a friend be so sick. He will have to move to assisted living at some point, but he hopes to stay here for as long as possible. And his best friend, who lives down the street, said he can move into her spare room too when he needs to.

Anyways, we talked and cried for like an hour. I know there's so much that he still wants to do.

I asked if I could hang out by the fire here and lesson plan and I felt really good that he perked up when I said that. He is talking to his sister on the phone right now. I have to lesson plan. Ugh. I don't want to have to think about that. Sigh. The sooner I start, the sooner I can finish it up.
Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-19-18), Fuzzy12 (11-19-18), Little Missy (11-19-18), Lunacie (11-19-18), midnightstar (11-19-18), namazu (11-19-18), psychopathetic (11-18-18), stef (11-19-18)
  #1972  
Old 11-18-18, 11:12 PM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 10,817
Thanks: 30,476
Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Hi Bug!

Quote:
I walked in to the house a couple of hours ago to do my laundry and he was in the kitchen cutting up veggies. He looked drained. I figured right away he must have gotten news, and also dreaded knowing what it was. I said "Hi! I didn't realize you were home!" He said he had just gotten in. I started to walk quickly through the kitchen. I said, "how are you doing?" extra energetically. And he said, "not too good, actually." His voice was still hoarse. He kept cutting up things for a minute and then put down his knife and said, "I should tell you..." So, about 5 days ago, he found out he has ALS.
Omg this choked me up!
He seems like a really incredible guy with lots of people who love and admire him.What a tragic thing

I really love that you wrote your grandfather a song, and played it for him. It amazes me that you were able to do such a thing!!
How sweet that you brought tears to his eyes! haha omg!!! That must feel SO good!

(((((((Willow Bug)))))))
__________________


(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
midnightstar (11-19-18), stef (11-19-18), willow129 (11-19-18)
  #1973  
Old 11-18-18, 11:20 PM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 10,817
Thanks: 30,476
Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

I think I'm going to list more cards on ebay for a game I play (magic: the gathering). I've listed and sold something like $300+ in cards in the past few months already...but I'm also sitting on some lands that are worth $800+.
I haven't touched these cards in like 3 or 4 years...but the problem is, is that I LOVE this game...and even though it's not something I'm playing currently, it is a game I think I'll always go back to in my life. It's the best game I've personally ever played...
And I WILL absolutely regret selling these cards when I do eventually start playing the game again.
It'll be real sad to let these cards go. I'm super proud to own them.

That being said...I have $1 to my name. Litterally. My gas tank in my car is on E and I'm not even sure how I'm going to afford more gas for it. I'm down to 5 boxes of mac'n'cheese...though I am headed to a food bank on tuesday (you can go once a month, and I don't go often).

So I need the money. I'm going to list the cards. It sucks...I love the cards...but yeah. I over spent this month and and am really hurting.
__________________


(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-18), midnightstar (11-19-18)
  #1974  
Old 11-19-18, 03:41 AM
acdc01 acdc01 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,278
Thanks: 3,093
Thanked 4,188 Times in 2,163 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
And I WILL absolutely regret selling these cards when I do eventually start playing the game again.
It'll be real sad to let these cards go.
How come you aren't playing the game right now psycho?

Sorry you have to sell the cards. I hold on to an old game I really loved as a kid too. It was hotels. I guess I just really liked all the hotel pieces. They don't make games I've that anymore cause I think the pieces are a little more costly to make than with today's games.

I don't know anyone that wants to play the game with me so never play it anymore.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-18)
  #1975  
Old 11-19-18, 03:56 AM
acdc01 acdc01 is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 3,278
Thanks: 3,093
Thanked 4,188 Times in 2,163 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaBV View Post
About pm companies...I once lived in an apartment with my DD and my boyfriend. The first unit I was in flooded at bit because of a cracked foundation in the building, leaving a soggy carpet. I reported it as soon as it happened, but nothing was done for days. Then they said, to move to another unit in the complex. So we did. That winter, there was "the big snow" (for the part of Texas we lived, it was rare to have ANY snow, and any significant accumulation like this was very unusual), leaving some damage in the covered parking, with the collapse of some of the covering structure from the weight of snow, damaging cars (not ours, thankfully). The snow also eventually resulted in no heat. You see, there were gas leaks, and when the owners of the complex wouldn't fix the leaks, the utility co. turned the gas off. Of course, the owners weren't local and the manager quit, so we were left to deal with another employee who had no power to do much, but was made manager. We moved when it was obvious nothing was going to be done. Some stayed a while, but stopped paying rent because everything went downhill from there. This was back in the early stages of a financial crash in Texas, so that was probably the ultimate cause of the owners inability to come up with money. My boyfriend (now husband) found out the complex owed money to many repair companies who were unable to collect. Eventually bankruptcy was declared.

What a horror story. It leaves me with chills both for you and tbh for me picturing the kind of damage places can get and the costs that can arise. Insurance companies are even worse Devils than property managers.

They have a ton of things written into their contracts that they Won't cover so the owner is stuck with paying the entire bill for pretty much everything except the absolute cheapest stuff. there really needs to be insurance reform. It's actually quite a risk owning property but fortunately, my family invests together so risk is spread.
Reply With Quote
  #1976  
Old 11-19-18, 10:56 AM
TygerSan's Avatar
TygerSan TygerSan is offline
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Mid Atlantic
Posts: 7,415
Thanks: 7,457
Thanked 13,443 Times in 5,443 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Oh man, Willow. I read your post and as soon as you started describing his symptoms, I knew where things were going. ALS sucks so bad. And for it to start with his voice as a musician .
__________________
"You don't pass or fail at being a person, dear"
Neil Gaiman

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-19-18), Lunacie (11-19-18), midnightstar (11-19-18), stef (11-19-18), willow129 (11-19-18)
  #1977  
Old 11-19-18, 12:44 PM
psychopathetic's Avatar
psychopathetic psychopathetic is offline
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Wyoming, USA
Posts: 10,817
Thanks: 30,476
Thanked 16,095 Times in 7,986 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
How come you aren't playing the game right now psycho?
It's a game I pick up and get into every few years...and when I get into it, it's like it becomes my entire world lol. It's the only thing I want to focus on and do...and I take it pretty serious.
But then like almost everything...I burn out and am just completely done with the game for awhile (usually several years).
It is my favorite game though, so it's something I always go back to.

And I just sold a few of the cards...I only ended up listing about $300 worth of cards...i'm about 95% sure they'll all sell.
At least now that a few of them have sold I have some breathing room. I can put gas in my car and can eat .
__________________


(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (11-20-18), midnightstar (11-19-18)
  #1978  
Old 11-19-18, 01:56 PM
Lunacie's Avatar
Lunacie Lunacie is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: south-central Kansas
Posts: 19,971
Thanks: 21,781
Thanked 27,028 Times in 12,614 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
Lots and lots of cake. Apple Cake for starters and main and chocolate cake for dessert. I love cake but I'm feeling sick already.
I feel like I've known you for so long. We are a couple of the forums "oldies and
goodies." I'm not big on traveling, but there are so many friends from online
that I would love to visit in person.



Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
It's a game I pick up and get into every few years...and when I get into it, it's like it becomes my entire world lol. It's the only thing I want to focus on and do...and I take it pretty serious.
But then like almost everything...I burn out and am just completely done with the game for awhile (usually several years).
It is my favorite game though, so it's something I always go back to.

And I just sold a few of the cards...I only ended up listing about $300 worth of cards...i'm about 95% sure they'll all sell.
At least now that a few of them have sold I have some breathing room. I can put gas in my car and can eat .
I've thought about what to do with all my old D&D stuff that's taking up room
in my closet. I have all of the original books and over a hundred painted mini-
atures. But all the people I used to play with have dispersed, moved away, or
just moved on with their lives.

And no one now plays the old version, it's all changed so much it would be like
learning a new game entirely. Unfortunately, the books and miniatures are
likely worth zippo since no one plays the old way. I know it's heartbreaking
for you to give up a piece of your life, but at least the cash is helping.
__________________
ADD is not a problem of knowing what to do; it is a problem of doing what you know.
-RUSSELL A. BARKLEY, PH.D.


As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-19-18), midnightstar (11-19-18), psychopathetic (11-19-18), stef (11-19-18)
  #1979  
Old 11-19-18, 04:49 PM
willow129's Avatar
willow129 willow129 is offline
Moderator
 

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: New England
Posts: 2,755
Blog Entries: 5
Thanks: 2,245
Thanked 4,191 Times in 2,015 Posts
willow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond reputewillow129 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychopathetic View Post
Hi Bug!



Omg this choked me up!
He seems like a really incredible guy with lots of people who love and admire him.What a tragic thing

I really love that you wrote your grandfather a song, and played it for him. It amazes me that you were able to do such a thing!!
How sweet that you brought tears to his eyes! haha omg!!! That must feel SO good!

(((((((Willow Bug)))))))
Youíre soooo empathetic Psycho ::huugs:: thanks
Yeah it was really cool to show my Grandpa the music I wrote for him!!! He was so sweet. I miss him. He died the next year, which was sooo sad but I was glad I did take the time to do that...

My friend was in better spirits after he got off the phone with his sister (who was doing her best to convince him that he should move to her state) and his best friend came over. They are so cute, they dated at one point I know, I guess that didnít work out but they are very close. Anyways they sat together on the - Uh - really big square cushiony thing that you put your feet up on when youíre in the easy chair... big enough for two butts anyways. They sat on that in front of the fire with wine and whiskey and they were laughing about crazy things they did in their youths. It was cute.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to willow129 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (11-19-18), psychopathetic (11-19-18), stef (11-19-18)
  #1980  
Old 11-19-18, 06:30 PM
Fuzzy12's Avatar
Fuzzy12 Fuzzy12 is online now
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,312
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 32,706
Thanked 30,809 Times in 14,171 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: The what's bothering you RIGHT NOW thread Part V

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow129 View Post
So...let's see...5 years ago I moved with my ex to where I live now. When I was interviewing for the job out here, I brought up that I know a musician who lives out here who has had a big impact on the folk music in this corner of the world. He is also, in this musical subculture of subcultures, known all around the country and he has written tunes that are played all around the country.

I met him through my ex, playing some gigs together, and also getting to be a guest at music camps that he was teaching at. I had a great time in his classes and sessions.

The teachers who interviewed me were excited because they hire him sometimes to help out with the music at the school productions. It was just like, a little small world connection. I didn't even expect that they would know him, but I thought it was pretty sweet that they did.

When my ex and I were deciding on apartments, my ex narrowed it down to 2 places, one of which was around the corner from where this musician lived at the time. I was like, it's a no brainer, obviously we need to be his neighbors!!! So my ex and I moved into the garage apartment on the property kitty-cornered with his. Our landlord lived in the house.

He has musical gatherings every Monday that he is around (though, he travels a lot) and I went to them for a bit. I've gotten busier at my school so Monday nights are hard now. But I go in the summers. I've played at his open band nights, and oh my gosh, when my ex and I broke up, they were one of the only places where I felt like I was ok.

I met my current sweetie at one of his Monday night sessions, and then again at his Halloween session, and then again at one of his open band nights.

A couple years ago, my grandpa turned 90. I really didn't know what to do for his birthday. Mr. Musician took me on a few walks that spring/summer and lunchtime dates and encouraged me that the idea that I had, which was to write him a piece of music, was a good one and that I should just do it. So I did. And it felt really good! Once I started, it all just came out of me. I played it for my grandpa and he cried! I hadn't seen him cry before. I think I would have been too shy if Mr. Musician hadn't encouraged me.

A couple years ago, Mr. Musician was having a really hard time with his housemates where he was living. He is really too old now to have these kinds of issues. All of his friends were encouraging him to find a new place to live. As luck would have it, right around then, my landlord decided he wanted to partially move out of the house here, and rent it to a couple of folks. So, he asked Mr. Musician if he would move in! So, after many trips around the corner, with help from neighbors and friends, Mr. Musician moved all of his many collected belongings to this house! Mr. Musician has been my "housemate" (though I actually live in the garage :P) for the past couple of years (along with a third musician.) So the Monday night sessions moved into the beautiful front room of this house. I can hear him jamming away with his friends when he is here. Happy sounds.

I really could not have imagined getting to be friends with him! I remember reading his tunes in my friends music books in high school, and learning some of them to perform with my band in college.

Over the summer he started to develop some odd health symptoms. Pain in his shoulders, and then his vocal cords started to seem to weaken, and he sounded like he was always losing his voice. He says he chokes easier now. He started losing weight. He was getting a lot of testing done in between traveling without a lot of answers. Since the beginning of the school year they figured out that he does not have throat cancer, didn't have a stroke, and it's not Parkinsons or multiple sclerosis.

He was going to get tested for ALS last week. I walked in to the house a couple of hours ago to do my laundry and he was in the kitchen cutting up veggies. He looked drained. I figured right away he must have gotten news, and also dreaded knowing what it was. I said "Hi! I didn't realize you were home!" He said he had just gotten in. I started to walk quickly through the kitchen. I said, "how are you doing?" extra energetically. And he said, "not too good, actually." His voice was still hoarse. He kept cutting up things for a minute and then put down his knife and said, "I should tell you..." So, about 5 days ago, he found out he has ALS.

I guess I haven't really had a friend be so sick. He will have to move to assisted living at some point, but he hopes to stay here for as long as possible. And his best friend, who lives down the street, said he can move into her spare room too when he needs to.

Anyways, we talked and cried for like an hour. I know there's so much that he still wants to do.

I asked if I could hang out by the fire here and lesson plan and I felt really good that he perked up when I said that. He is talking to his sister on the phone right now. I have to lesson plan. Ugh. I don't want to have to think about that. Sigh. The sooner I start, the sooner I can finish it up.
Aw willow. I just read about als after reading your post and gosh, it's just heart breaking. It was good of you to listen and be there for him. Huge hugs.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (11-19-18)
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Combining all my poetry into one thread Nucking_Futs Poetry 0 10-13-04 02:11 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums