ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 07-17-18, 08:49 PM
Committee Member

euboea67 is on a distinguished road
Does ADHD cause problems building chemistry/emotional connections while on dates?

This is something Iíve noticed in the past as a problem I have, and Iím curious if anyone else has noticed something similar.

Iíve just noticed that when Iím trying to gauge feelings and such or on a date Iím never gonna have that kind of connection. Ever. Iím just constantly over analyzing myself. The best first date - in this sense - that I went on was one where instantly decided there wouldnít be a second and then had fun because I wasnít thinking about it.

Iíve only had chemistry maybe once (maybe) and that was someone with BPD (think love bombing and emotional manipulation) and even they I was still overanalyzing myself and it kind of killed the spark we had...
later as FRIENDS feelings came back for a little bit, but only then when I wasn't thinking about it
Old 07-22-18, 08:49 PM
Contributor

userguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the roughuserguide is a jewel in the rough
Re: Does ADHD cause problems building chemistry/emotional connections while on dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by euboea67 View Post
The best first date - in this sense - that I went on was one where instantly decided there wouldnít be a second and then had fun because I wasnít thinking about it.

I always thought it's anxiety, not adhd that make you cannot snap into a romantic mode.
Old 07-25-18, 10:59 AM
Committee Member

Re: Does ADHD cause problems building chemistry/emotional connections while on dates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by userguide View Post

I always thought it's anxiety, not adhd that make you cannot snap into a romantic mode.
It seems to me that they both share certain traits tbh.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-18, 06:40 PM
Committee Member

Does anyone else have this kind of anxiety on dates?

[Moderator note: Merged duplicate threads. - Namazu]

This is something I’ve noticed in the past as a problem I have, and I’m curious if anyone else has noticed something similar.

I’ve just noticed that when I’m trying to gauge feelings and such or on a date I’m never gonna have that kind of connection. Ever. I’m just constantly over analyzing myself. The best first date - in this sense - that I went on was one where instantly decided there wouldn’t be a second and then had fun because I wasn’t thinking about it.

Sometimes though I can become completely obsessive over this, in the moment, and anxious, and it ruins the experience in real time. It's why when I'm drunk I'm more or less completely normal socially. I stop minutely observing and analyzing someone else and analyzing myself, etc.

I’ve only had chemistry maybe once (maybe) and that was someone with BPD... and of course this doesn't include when I'm drunk (even if only mildly).

Last edited by namazu; 09-04-18 at 07:02 PM..
Old 09-21-18, 01:34 PM
Contributor

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold

Check out my new thread on "contextual clues". This may have some impact on your attempts to build chemistry on dates.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.