ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-08, 08:13 PM

red03stang will become famous soon enough
Thoughts Per Hour?

i am trying to get an idea what add menas to you as well as what "normal thinkers "are

My question is on average how many thought processes do you have in an hour?

I think i have about 500 thoughts per hour. but i just started thinking about this.
The Following User Says Thank You to red03stang For This Useful Post:
roly poly (08-07-08)
Old 08-07-08, 08:51 PM
Extradimensional Moderator

HighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant futureHighFunctioning has a brilliant future
Re: Thoughts Per Hour?

I'm not sure. How would one atomize thoughts to the point where they could be counted?
Disclaimer: none of the posts on this forum should be taken as medical advice. Optimally, always seek the opinion of multiple experienced professionals, note any discrepancies, and use your best judgment, as well as research, to determine what is true, untrue, and neither (opinion).
Old 08-07-08, 09:03 PM

i guess any thought you feel is worth counting is worth counting.

I in a given hour , I will think of grass as possible biofuel, how much sun does it take to boil water, why didnt anyone know i had add when i was a child and then the thoughts just keep streaming.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-08, 09:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,484 Times in 752 Posts
SuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant futureSuzzanneX has a brilliant future

the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

if you busted my head open...
.....thoughts would fill the room

Syd Barrett
Old 08-07-08, 09:17 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

That would be classified information if I was "NORMAL", but because I am not..I would say at least a dozen a minute if I am in the "mode", so you do the math...

Old 08-07-08, 09:33 PM
Contributor

Colin is on a distinguished road

I dont know that I can think about how many in an hour, but when Im hyperfocused writing software i maybe get upto a maximum of about 10 a second. its hard to tell, time warps when your hyperfocused. but way far more than i can posibly use, but sometimes a realy good thought comes a long wich i grab onto.

software is like that though if you change one thing in one fuction it can have so many ramificatrions. those thoughts cascade through my head like some crazy cascading thing.

Its not always I can do that and when im struggling and cant do it I get disapointed, but it was ages before I realised normal people cant do that.
Old 08-07-08, 09:36 PM
Contributor

amu_d is on a distinguished road

Around 70 000 was the worst I've experienced in one hour. It was during and after reading a religious/political debate between multiple people. I felt suicidal out of frustration and learnt my lesson.

Normally, it is much lower, probably around 10 000. The less I read/listen, the lower the amount.

During the few times I've hyperfocused (usually some exciting new activity) was the only time the number was very low.

An interesting story was when my family and I went on a camping vacation for 3-4 days. The entire time, it was mostly "relaxing" stuff (looking at trees, looking at birds, walking, eating, etc...).

So coming back from the trip, everyone was so refreshed, except me! I had been thinking about thousands of things all throughout the trip, ESPECIALLY during the hours in the car of doing nothing, as I couldn't read a book because it made me too dizzy. So by the time the vacation ended, it felt as though by brain had just gone through the mental drain of completing 500 school final exams.

Last edited by amu_d; 08-07-08 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: I did a self test and changed the numbers
The Following User Says Thank You to amu_d For This Useful Post:
qhcowgirl (08-09-08)
Old 08-10-08, 02:42 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,303 Times in 8,615 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a smallest quantum of thought? Does the law of Heisenberg apply here? When is a thought so small it is no longer a thought? Is thinking an emergent property of neuron activity?

How many thoughts does it take to write this post?
Old 08-10-08, 03:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

moo4dougie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
Is there a smallest quantum of thought? Does the law of Heisenberg apply here? When is a thought so small it is no longer a thought? Is thinking an emergent property of neuron activity?

How many thoughts does it take to write this post?
Fantastic.
Old 08-10-08, 03:14 PM

jfd19 is on a distinguished road

I don't know, i can't count that high. In addition I loose track after 1 thought...
Old 08-10-08, 03:52 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

Jeez.. thoughts/hour.... man with me it's (thoughts/ideas/fantasies/spotting shiny things)/minute.

I wouldn't know as I live so much in the present it's impossible to remember what I was thinking about 10 seconds ago unless it's REALLY REALLY interestng and I've followed that train of thought to "now"

Even writing that last sentence I've had about.... 10-15 different thoughts.. some related to expandng the concepts I started with and others entirely random triggered by the langage/ words or images involved.

and by the way... I type quickly... so's I can actually try to keep up with my brain

kilted
Old 08-10-08, 07:29 PM

thank you guys for replying all of these replies describe me identically. I was thinking if i had a clicker of some type i could get a count of conscience thoughts. That would be thoughts i am aware i am having. Some thoughts come and go so fast i wouldn't even attempt to count them all.

I think i am more interested in how many thoughts i/we/normal thinkers/slow thinkers have in an hour just as a way to help myself understand

I also realize i would have to tape the clicker in my hand as i would def set it dowmn and lose it. or forget to push the button.

I just started taking focalin and its hard to tell a difference in thoughts per hour.

Different times or activities fo me also cause differnet numbers. driving my mind is crazy every car that passes by or house i see or bird or trash changes my thought. although while i am at work concentrating it slows to half the speed of light
The Following User Says Thank You to red03stang For This Useful Post:
amu_d (08-10-08)
Old 08-10-08, 09:19 PM
Contributor

junetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nicejunetown is just really nice

wish i could answer. i don't know if i have a ton of thoughts per hour. i'm not paying attention. lol.

i'll let you know if i'm ever medicated, i'm sure i'll have a pretty good idea then.