ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-09, 08:36 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute
ADHD in an Non ADHD world.

There's been a lot of posts that describe what the experience of ADD is like and today I was thinking about that, only from the perspective of what it feels like to be ADD in a non ADD world. Maybe you can share for you what your experience is like.

I started thinking about eggs today when I was reading about invisible disabilities and the spoon test. That didn't work for me, so I thought well, put an egg in that spoon.

For me, everywhere I go, every person I meet and every new encounter I'm caring an egg in a spoon. I've come to be able to look pretty non-chalant about it most of the time, but as the level of difficult in the interaction increases or level of risk that egg starts to wobble.

It becomes noticeable that I'm strained but no one can see me carrying this egg in a spoon, I might have a pasted smile on my face but inside I'm thinking "don't drop the egg, don't drop the egg, oh crap I'm gonna drop this egg" Finally the tension decreases and the conversation has come to a natural conclusion whereupon I feel incredible relief (oh you good egg).

It's time for things to become more causal, I'm offered a coffee or some other beverage, I'm confident, my egg is balanced neatly off my pinky and the egg is giving a reassuring litany of advice, ok, smile, not too much smiling they'll think you're simple, and in the midst of this stream of reassuring babble I take a drink and spill coffee on my shirt. There goes the egg (splat) and just like in that commercial the stain starts talking and I want to escape.

whew! outta there! It feels great to be rid of that egg.

Sometimes, I'm clever and I'll boil the egg before I go out, boiled eggs have a bit of bounce to them and aren't quite as bothersome but even then, there's always the possibility that I'll manage all the way thru and come home with a pristine egg. Hope springs eternal. I do drop the boiled egg and sometimes it's not too bad, I just look a bit odd to non egg burdened people since they seem to have been outfitted with titanium egg carriers that fail hardly ever so they forget about their egg.

The problem with being clever is overestimating the eggs resiliance, yeah you can drop it a few times but eventually it's not going to look to good, it's going to get awkward since it's shell is partly on the floor, partly on you and you're getting nervous and the egg is getting squashed. Some of the yolk dribbled out when you got that tear in your nylons. It's getting messy, time to leave. If you impulsively and overconfidently ignore this rule of thumb the end result is egg on your face.

In these formal settings you only have one egg, at home, around the family you have a carton, you'd rather toss it and go play a video game and relax but there's responsibilities and feelings to consider. So, you marathon the egg on a spoon.

Did i pay what bill? (splat) Oh, I'm sorry what did you say? (splat) Oh, so when you asked me to do the dishes you wanted me to wipe the kitchen down as well? (splat splat) I hope I can get thru the night cause I forgot to get eggs yesterday and I've only got three left. You sit down to watch a little tv and oops, there's the egg you had last night, a little deflection "who put that egg there? is this a trick?' (splat) Ok, FINE! it's always me! My patience is running out along with my eggs. I've only got one egg left, do you think we could just relax and enjoy the evening y'know a low risk egg night?

What do you mean we have to go to your parents tonight? In the panic my egg drops (splat) OH I GIVE UP! In a fit of rage, tears, and exhaustion I stomp off to my room trip over an egg I forgot to clean up yesterday half break my neck, and just lost the last shred of my dignity. I finally arrive in my room, survey the damage, oh not too bad, a sling and an eyepatch ought to do the trick.

Is it over? oh no no no... "I told you we were going over see my parents they want to talk to us about the family reunion, we've already put them off four times it's getting embarassing. I'd rather walk on coals. That's so immature, can't you ever take anything seriously? OK, fine, I'll go but your mother always looks at me and my eggs funny.

Oh she does not you're imagining it. The egg becomes frantic at this point praying I won't mention the word imbecile since the marraige councellor pointed out that it's not contstructive communication. I reluctangly defer to the eggs judgement but can't keep the look of disgust off my face. Alright, let's go then, I'll smile and be pleasant, and we need to pick up eggs on the way there, I have a tennis ball here but you know what I'm like when all I have are tennis balls? Danger danger!

See?, it wasn't so bad, you got thru it and you still have eight eggs left! I hear the muffled cries of the eggs from the refrigerator reminding me to be nice.

I finally get to be alone, turn on the computer and go to the ADDForums. oh yeah! look there's a philosophical egg fight, someone's asking how many cc's of egg is too much egg? That kids going for his masters? Wow! They sure are turning out a lot of egg heads these days. The inattentive section is talking about scrambled eggs again. ahhhh it's good to be home.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (11-05-09), APSJ (11-04-09), chips (11-04-09), mADD mike (11-04-09), sarek (11-05-09), stef (11-05-09), wsmac (11-05-09)
Old 11-04-09, 08:55 PM

Thanked 1,252 Times in 732 Posts
chips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of lightchips is a glorious beacon of light
Re: ADHD in an Non ADHD world.

Eggcellent

Gave a whole new meaning to my eggs I'm eating this morning!
ginniebean (11-04-09)
Old 11-04-09, 09:01 PM

Thanked 1,123 Times in 673 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

How much of ones problems can be related to adhd and other learning disablilites. Dishes not being done.If we were taught by or parents to do the dishes, make the bed, clean our rooms etc wouldn't we do them. people forget things all the time. are adhd because of that. How is related to depression? Why do we have to put lables on everything? Weren't we all created to be different from one another.
The Following User Says Thank You to excel For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (11-04-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-09, 09:05 PM

Thanked 21,938 Times in 7,993 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
How much of ones problems can be related to adhd and other learning disablilites. Dishes not being done.If we were taught by or parents to do the dishes, make the bed, clean our rooms etc wouldn't we do them. people forget things all the time. are adhd because of that. How is related to depression? Why do we have to put lables on everything? Weren't we all created to be different from one another.

You do realise that we don't have a marraige councellor? (splat) (Just teasing)

Last edited by ginniebean; 11-04-09 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: I forgot to mention I was JOKING!!!!