ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-09, 01:32 AM

SamR is on a distinguished road
How to Gain Weight While on Meds and Vegetarian Diet?

Hi guys! Earlier this year, I (a 16-year old male) was placed on 30 mg of Vyvanse for my Inattentive-Type A.D.H.D. (duh), weighing about 121 pounds and being about 5'7" tall. It's quite underweight for my height, but not at a level that would merit concern, since lankiness is quite prevalent on both sides of my family and I still eat normally.

After a month, I had lost about 3 pounds and my dosage was upped to 50 mg. At around this time, I had also convinced my parents to let me become a vegetarian (I'd been wanting to be one since I was six, but my parents kept changing their minds as to when I could become one and I finally confronted them about it). However, after another month had passed, my weight had dropped about 5 pounds, still my doctor upped my dose to 70 mg because I still wasn't really feeling any effect of the medications. During this time, I'd had dry mouth and loss of appetite, and a month later, I had lost another 8 pounds or so, bringing my weight down to 104 pounds and prompting my doctor to change my prescription to 50 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. This stopped the side effects that (I thought) had caused such a huge loss in weight, but my parents decided that I could not continue being a vegetarian if I did not bring up my weight to a level they found sufficient by the time of my next appointment in a month. At the end of that month (last Wednesday), my weight had only gone up by 3 pounds, even though my parents bought various snack foods for me in an effort to boost my weight. This means that, in addition to looking nearly emaciated, I can't be a vegetarian any longer. Neither of these facts is pleasing to me. Can anyone give me advice (ANY AT ALL) on how to bring my weight up (and keep it up) that would comply with a vegetarian diet? I don't really want to gain all the weight and lose it all once I go off the vegetarian diet again.

So basically, if you didn't really understand or just didn't feel like reading that, I've lost a ton of weight as a combined result of Vyvanse and a vegetarian diet, and I need ways to help bring it up that are vegetarian-friendly (though eggs are fine). And before you say "eat a lot of junk food;" it doesn't work. I've tried.

-Sam
Old 11-25-09, 03:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How to Gain Weight While on Meds and Vegetarian Diet?

Protein shakes. You can't gain weight without taking in more calories than you burn, basically. That's just how it works. To gain weight you need to be eating well in excess of 2000 calories a day. That's really hard to do on a vegetarian diet. Protein shakes and other supplements for protein and calories are your best bet.

Why do your parents even factor? They can't force meat down your throat. What you eat is your decision and yours alone. But you need to consider your own health when you make that decision, so finding a way to get enough calories to gain weight is important.
Old 11-25-09, 04:36 AM

SamR is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
Protein shakes. You can't gain weight without taking in more calories than you burn, basically. That's just how it works. To gain weight you need to be eating well in excess of 2000 calories a day. That's really hard to do on a vegetarian diet. Protein shakes and other supplements for protein and calories are your best bet.

Why do your parents even factor? They can't force meat down your throat. What you eat is your decision and yours alone. But you need to consider your own health when you make that decision, so finding a way to get enough calories to gain weight is important.
Yeah, I tried one of my mother's health shakes a few days ago, but upon closer discovered that they were DIET shakes.

Also, I know that they shouldn't factor into these things, but they are extremely overbearing (and have been throughout my entire life) and make my life completely miserable whenever I disobey any of their demands, effectively indirectly forcing me to do pretty much anything. For example, my mother said that if I refuse to eat meat this Thanksgiving, I'll have to stay at my father's house (which is just as bad; see below) while she goes to my grandfather's house.

Plus, my ability to argue is just terrible, and they always end up winning any arguments we have because I can never make a valid point or rebuttal at the time of the discussion, even when I know my point is valid. My brain just kind of shuts down at the sign of any sort of conflict. And when I do try to argue, they (almost always my father) go off on a tangent about how I obviously have oppositional defiant disorder/bipolar disorder/depressive issues/etc. and how I should see a therapist because I'm so "unhappy" and "argumentative" and blah, blah, blah...

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC: Thanks. I'll try to ask my mom to buy some non-diet protein shakes. I've been drinking whole milk lately, since I'd only been drinking 2% before, and it's seemed to be somewhat beneficial.
Old 11-28-09, 03:38 PM
Contributor

KDLMaj is a jewel in the roughKDLMaj is a jewel in the roughKDLMaj is a jewel in the rough

It isn't hard to gain weight on a vegetarian diet (I'm a vegan gym rat, and I do just fine for myself)- the hard part is dealing with the appetite suppression of the Vyvanse. Your best bet is to start switching to lots of snacking. Instead of eating 2-3 larger meals, try to start eating 5-6 smaller meals. It's not easy to do, but you can sneak in a bag of nuts to class, some PB&J sandwiches, and- as previously mentioned- start using protein shakes. Physical exercise can also increase your appetite- so give that a shot.

Also try adding some vegan meats to your diet:
Field Roast Vegan Sausages are awesome (try the apple sausages!), and they're 250 calories per link

Brazil nuts are GREAT- lots of calories and they're loaded with good fats

PB&J sandwiches (get unbleached whole grain bread) are easily 400 calories each. So they add up quickly.

It can totally be done! I've bulked up 25 lbs in 3 months with a combination of gym and (vegan) diet.
The Following User Says Thank You to KDLMaj For This Useful Post:
starry (01-07-13)
Old 11-28-09, 04:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,277 Times in 964 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation

Protein Shakes are the key. Eat at least 6 meals a day. Get a blender, make your own,frozen berries and fruits with a good source of protein causes me to be overweight, peanuts and almonds. Rice milk is a easyway to get lots of carbs. (although it has no protein.) I cannot overestimate the power of hemp seeds (shelled). It has almost everything a human needs.
Watch your sugar intake with the fruits, its easy to overdue it(diabetes)
Make sure you get a protein powder for weight gain. Some of them like you mentioned have synthetic sweetners and are designed for weight lose.
Black Bears are almost vegetarian. Look at the size of them.
Like Kmiller said you need more calories than you burn.
Interesting.
FunnyHead

Last edited by mildadhd; 11-28-09 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
starry (01-07-13)
Old 12-07-09, 01:30 PM
Contributor

NoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of lightNoReally is a glorious beacon of light

PB&J. Guacamole or hummus to dip your veggies into. Cream cheese spreads to dip your fruits into. Bread -- the good healthy whole grain kind of course. Cheese if you eat it. Nuts -- have a bag of almonds & walnuts in your locker and grab a few between classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamR View Post
Yeah, I tried one of my mother's health shakes a few days ago, but upon closer discovered that they were DIET shakes.
Doesn't matter. A shake becomes a diet shake if you use it to replace a meal. If you use it to supplement a meal, it helps you gain weight. The Slim-Fast in front in me is 180 calories and 6 grams of fat. If you manage to add that to your day in between meals, then it's an extra 180 calories and 6 grams of fat and will help you gain weight.
Old 01-04-10, 12:24 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

rickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nicerickymooston is just really nice

If you are not diabetic, try drinking cola to make you hungry about 1/2 hour before a meal. This should raise your insulin and make you hungry.

In terms of food, bread and protein might help. I'm not sure.

Given your degree of being underweight, you should consult a doctor or dietition for advice too.
Old 01-06-10, 11:38 PM
Jr Member

NBizzzle is on a distinguished road

my brother is a phys trainer so i know this stuff. I also understand your lack of appetite. Had it occur when i was on adderall. Eat lots of carbs(bread, etc.) and dont burn it off. bread is light and tastes good. lol. also drink milkshakes. Mix up watever you want. You'll like it and eventually you'll put on a few pounds
Old 06-05-10, 06:08 PM

sans_serif is on a distinguished road

I am a dairy-free, sugar-free vegetarian.

Eat peanut butter at least 2x a day. Put it on your apples, sandwiches. 2 servings is about 400 calories.

Nuts: Walnuts, almonds, peanuts! As many as you want!

Avocadoes=yum!
Beans= These are great for quesadillas and corn chips and salsa. You can get them canned or dry or refried in a can.

I don't know if you have tried any veggie burgers, but I highly recommend you try some. The very yummiest veggie-tasting kind are Dr Praegers, but the Boca Vegan burgers are good, too. They don't have that many calories, but they will help you add calories and make a good burger if you add a full tablespoon of mayonaise, some avocado, and maybe some cheddar or swiss cheese it will be quite good.

CLIF BARS! Ohmygod these are great! (They have sugar, so i am not eating them now). They pack 300 calories apiece and have an even balance of protein, fat, and carbs. I always kept one in my backpack so I could have something if I couldn't make myself go out and get lunch or for any other time because I was too focused. I now have Larabars or Lunabars, as these have no sugar, but they are harder to find and cost more. Have 2 of these a day.

If you do eat cheese, I suggest you eat brie. Best cheese in the world, so many calories! Have it on french bread, crackers, or by itself (I don't eat this now, but it will help you maintain/gain weight).

Oatmeal is my cereal base of choice (150 calories per half cup). I like it cold with almond slivers maple syrup, and rice milk. This is because I am no dairy no sugar vegetarian though. Otherwise, I suggest you get granola, and have it by the cup with at least %2 milk or soy/rice/almond milk if you don't like dairy.

It's not where you are going, it's how you get there.

Typefaces I love: Georgia, (one of the best web fonts ever made), Century Gothic, Book Antiqua
Old 06-05-10, 09:49 PM
Contributor

barnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nicebarnops is just really nice

I drink protein shakes. All the time!
But I also add a serving of "cream of wheat" mix into the shake while I am blending (yes, uncooked, dry mix)

Tastes great with chocolate protein powder and goes down very easily. Adds another 100 or so calories to the mix, and the carbs are a necessity with all the protein.

I also always have a few things of "Ensure" or "Boost" with me. Its like 20g of protein, and 250 calories in a half cup of stuff so even when Im not hungry, it doesn't take much to "fill up".
Old 06-22-10, 09:20 PM

Juice will become famous soon enough

lots of good advice above.
I am also a vegan (mostly raw ) gym rat . I am 5'5 and 102-107 lb female.
I eat all day long but really healthy low fat foods
In the winter I go as high as 110(:shock: ) and it is easy .
I eat more nuts and other good quality fats.
As a vegetarian you can eat all milk products you want and eggs-the yokes are high in fat and cholesterol . You can really load up on calories this way . Prior to going vegan I was an ice cream addict and could eat it by the pint ! Milk shakes too are a good option.
Your protein shakes should contain whey ( which is from cows ) and or hemp protein. Lots of great aminos and omega's in hemp so a double whammy for ADHD - brain and bulk.
You are probably still growing so your metabolism is super quick.This is a good thing for now.
There is tons of info on vegan and vegetarian "lifestyles" on the net .
As you are probably interested in the topic this stuff may hold your focus.
You will develop some really strong arguments for the rentals as to why you don't want to consume meat ,poultry and fish .
Good Luck!
Old 06-23-10, 12:57 PM

dnobles83 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I was going to give you a lot of the same advice already given. Peanut Butter is a great weight gainer. All of my coaches in school told everyone he thought needed to bulk up to eat 2 tbs of peanut butter with every meal. That will add in the neighborhood of 600 calories a day. You can also get a huge jar of protein powder for 10-15 bucks, but I have found that unless you're really into smoothies or mixing it into hot cereal, like oatmeal, it isn't as versatile as you think it would be. Flax also has a high fat "good fat" content. I am also on Vyvanse and I know what an appetite killer it can be. I haven't eaten since Monday, but I don't need to gain any weight. I'm trying to figure out something I can drink that will keep me from getting malnourished. I don't want to end up toothless like a crackhead or methhead from not eating. So, peanut butter is probably your best bet. Check around the supermarket and buy the one with the most calories per tablespoon. That way, even if you don't want to eat, you can manage to work in a good amount of calories through randomly eating a tablespoon of peanut butter. Since you said you are drinking milk, try adding something to it for added calories. Ovaltine has a lot of added vitamins, but only 80 calories in 4 tbs and lots of people don't care for it. Nesquik has 60 calories in 2 tbs. If your appetite permits you to actually eat, I'd do lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a glass of chocolate milk. I can't imagine anything that would put more weight on you than that being vegetarian, without just outright eating junk food all the time.

As far as your parents, don't listen to these people who are telling you to rebel. As you've said, it just makes your life harder. Hopefully, you can just show your parents that you can be a healthy vegetarian by gaining some weight. If it turns into an argument, I have found that sitting in silence until the other party feels like they are overreacting has been the best strategy I have ever had. It also gives them the impression that you are hearing them out, even if you are just letting it go in one ear and out of the other, which also makes them more inclined to side with you in the long run because at least you have heard what they had to say and have appeared to consider their thoughts and feelings. Staying calm, while sticking to your principles will end up making the other party more inclined to listen to you than being argumentative.

Good luck.
Old 06-25-10, 05:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

Killface1981 will become famous soon enough

Being a vegetarian is difficult when on meds that cause most people to drop weight. You could always supplement two whey protein shakes with L-Glutamine twice a day on top of your regular meals.

How strict of a vegetarian are you? Perhaps you could just eat fish? Protein and weight lifting are the most important factors when trying to gain weight. Carbs, too, if you want to gain weight. I'd still stick to complex carbs(avoid crappy calories.) Whole wheat bread is far healthier and nutrient dense than white bread...

Almonds, natural peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, protein bars, and soy nuts are all good sources for snacks. I'd try Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, as well. It has tons of fiber, more protein than normal cereal, and is healthy.
Old 06-25-10, 07:05 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely eat more often, 6 small meals a day. I've found many guys who are leaner can over estimate the amount of food they eat.
One of my exes who is quite lean used to complain that he ate a lot and wasn't gaining any weight. We sat down to a meal and I was eating more than he was. (At the time I was doing lots of martial arts as I was competing and running and ate a lot I didn't have a car and lived in a mountainous area so walked everywhere but burned it off). I often eat more than my leaner male friends.
Or maybe you are eating a lot but really burning it off, as I was doing. Also I wasn't eating a lot of carbs at all. It was an Atkins diet before I even knew who Atkins was (and without all the heartattack inducing bacon). I gain weight eating lots of bread and carbs.

Like people have mentioned, peanut butter is good (I personally despise the stuff).

-Bananas
-Lots of hardboiled eggs. Quick and easy snack.
-Avocados
-Nuts

-Coconut. You can do nice vegetarian curries with coconut milk and it's easy and simple.

-Lentils

You can try malt drink. It's non-alcoholic and made from malt like beer. It's basically beer before it becomes alcoholic.
It's popular in many parts of the world to increase weight (because not everyone is obsessed about keeping thin).
I know it's popular in Germany but in the US, you might find it in immigrant stores like Latin American stores, Caribbean stores, or African stores. A couple of those a day should help.
Malt has lots of B vitamins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_(soft_drink)
Old 06-25-10, 07:10 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Marspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond reputeMarspider has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yea there's also the Michael Phelps diet which I wouldn't entirely recommend, especially the bacon but he eats a lot of pasta.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7562840.stm
So eat more pasta. :-)