ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-10, 03:42 AM
Jr Member

betweenthebars is on a distinguished road
im scared of the unknown...

i don't want to be put on medication. I am scared of talking to my doctor. i am scared of my anxiety, depression, being intensified. I want to control my own life though.

Is there anyone on medication that deals with little to no side-effects?

I think the side-effects are the most scary part for me. What is the level of anxiety like? is it like a bad trip when smoking pot? I don't smoke pot for that very reason, extreme paranoia.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to betweenthebars For This Useful Post:
meridian (05-14-10), mhyper790 (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 04:10 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,436 Times in 6,133 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: im scared of the unknown...

I take adderall 80 - 100mg daily and have for years - I don;t have any side effects Actually the only way I know the adderall is working is I am able to function where as when it wears off my ability to keep my crap in one sack deteriorates noticeably but I have not "felt" my medications is years because my body is used to the chemical changes made my the medications.

The pot question - I do not smoke pot - haven't in a long time because all it does is make me spacey and tired.

By the way I AM in control of my life - the medications increase my ability to control my life and it goes much smother now that I am in control of my ADD instead of my ADD being in control of me

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
ADDMagnet (05-19-10), ADHDTigger (05-14-10), Amtram (05-18-10), betweenthebars (05-14-10), CircularingCats (05-14-10), Imnapl (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10), mhyper790 (05-14-10), peripatetic (05-18-10), tinywiney (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 04:54 AM
Contributor

ideaman has a spectacular aura aboutideaman has a spectacular aura about

Don't worry, possible side effects won't last for long with stimulant medications (like several hours), so you won't have to suffer for long. You can discuss this with your doctor and he may perhaps want to give you a benzodiazepine (like xanax) to counter possible anxiety.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ideaman For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (05-14-10), betweenthebars (05-14-10), Imnapl (05-14-10), meridian (05-19-10), mhyper790 (05-14-10), ruby-lang (05-18-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-10, 05:02 AM

raheem1 is on a distinguished road

Hi Betweenthebars,

Good question, anxiety is a big issue. Because it affects and influences how we see the world around us. I agree with you, pot is a bad option, especially with anxiety and the paranoia it comes with. Personally, I would recommend alternative medicine solutions as it can offer long term relief and a peace of mind. I would highly suggest the use of EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) IMO it is light years ahead in fast emotional healing.

Most importantly, I would also suggest deep breathing. Deep breathing can alternate your mood within minutes (sometimes seconds) Just keep in mind that deep breathing is an art, but it only requires little effort to learn, research it first. (It can also up your focus levels)

In general, I wish you the best of luck in which ever direction you choose
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to raheem1 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (05-14-10), betweenthebars (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 06:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
I take adderall 80 - 100mg daily and have for years - I don;t have any side effects Actually the only way I know the adderall is working is I am able to function where as when it wears off my ability to keep my crap in one sack deteriorates noticeably but I have not "felt" my medications is years because my body is used to the chemical changes made my the medications.

The pot question - I do not smoke pot - haven't in a long time because all it does is make me spacey and tired.

By the way I AM in control of my life - the medications increase my ability to control my life and it goes much smother now that I am in control of my ADD instead of my ADD being in control of me
This is pretty much the case for me, but Meadd823 has a much better way with words. My adult son and I have both taken regular Ritalin for years with no ill effects.

My daughter just recently started taking Concerta and wishes she had started taking it years ago. Her untreated ADHD caused anxiety and mood issues in adulthood. Her doctor preferred to treat the ADHD first and see if the anxiety and depression improved (she had already been on an antidepressant prescribed by another doctor and it didn't improve her ADHD symptoms). Her doctor was correct and Concerta has eliminated her depression and her anxiety.

Phaedrus

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Imnapl For This Useful Post:
ADDMagnet (05-19-10), ADHDTigger (05-14-10), betweenthebars (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10), mhyper790 (05-14-10), tinywiney (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

KnewItAllAlong will become famous soon enough

I'm on Vyvanse 70 mg. The only side affect I had was dry mouth in the beginning, but that doesn't happen now. The meds really work....Thank God.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KnewItAllAlong For This Useful Post:
betweenthebars (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 12:11 PM

Thanked 13,644 Times in 5,041 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

BTB, you are doing the right thing in expressing your fears about medication and looking for answers. What is known is that anxiety over medication can reduce the effectiveness of the medication.

Taking medication for your ADHD is, by itself, a way of taking control and being in control of it. I would strongly suggest that you talk to your doctor about how you are feeling and look for information that helps you understand what the medication can be expected to do and how it is expected to work. In general, the doctor will start you at a very low dose and increase it very slowly so that side effects are minimized.

It is possible that a low dose anti-anxiety med will be helpful for you as well. This is something that you should discuss with your doctor.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
Amtram (05-18-10), betweenthebars (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 12:12 PM
Jr Member

thanks a lot everyone for replying with all your experiences. from what i am getting from looking up on this topic, people's experiences varies a lot. i guess some people's anxiety and depression goes away and others heighten. I will talk to my doctor as i am actually on my way out to the office right now.
ADHDTigger (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 01:42 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lost Focus will become famous soon enough

The medication route is definitely a scary one. Initially, I was extremely opposed to stimulant medication because I had an aversion to the fact that they are amphetamines. But as I read through Driven To Distraction, I started to see the successes through minimal danger of using stimulant meds.

The door was then opened to them, but I haven't responded well to stims. Focus was greatly improved, but the irritability of coming down was bad. My "off" days were pretty ugly, and the irritability periods always fell at a time when I was just about to head home from work and see my family. At the suggestion of my pdoc, I added a booster of methylphenidate in the morning with my initial dose of 18mg Concerta, then by itself not long before I was due to leave work. This helped, but with the introduction of the booster, a few weeks in I began feeling generally run down and "blah", experiencing joint aches in my knees/elbows. It took a few weeks, but I nailed down that it was some form of combination of the methylphenidate and Concerta that caused it. When I experimented with going off of them both simultaneously, and individually, the aches would go away or change in their overall 'feel'. As a runner, this brought down my desire to go out and pound the asphalt, as I just didn't feel good.

I've moved over to trying various dosage concoctions of Strattera, and while I still have ups/downs (really bad one this week triggered by a sudden financial crisis), I seem to be doing better on it. As of this morning, I've begun a new regimen of Wellbutrin SR 150 to compliment the Strattera due to symptoms of depression having returned, which I've felt for more than a year, to be honest.

Prepare yourself for the medication trials, and then prepare again and again and again. For me, it's been a very rough six months, and the frustration level between my wife and I for different reasons (but both having everything to do with ADHD) led to a very difficult discussion about separation last night. It seems to be the wake-up call she needed, but it's so early to tell and gain that optimism that I am very cautious.

But where this all leads, is the fact that I felt prepared for the unknown, but wasn't. Neither was she. I expected trials and tribulations, but not on this level, and with such difficulty. Your mileage may vary, and I hope it does.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Focus For This Useful Post:
betweenthebars (05-14-10), meridian (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 01:50 PM
Contributor

mike1w is just really nicemike1w is just really nicemike1w is just really nicemike1w is just really nice

It seems someone's ADDer imagination is acting up again. Getting anxiety about the medication is like being afraid of being shot by your gun, while its still in your hand. Talk to your doctor about your concerns.
Old 05-14-10, 02:44 PM
ADDvanced Member

Lost Focus will become famous soon enough

Consider that the OP may have had a traumatic episode with regard to medication in the past. I know my wife does, and she has an extremely strong aversion to sustained medication use. Then again, there is an inherent fear about what medications like this will do to the mind, irrational or not.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lost Focus For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (05-15-10), meridian (05-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 08:04 PM
Jr Member

@lost focus

I've never had any negative experiences with medication in the past, but i guess like you, I find I may be reluctant to be put on meds. Todays doctor visit was unproductive as my doctor was not in, being rescheduled for Monday. I post up my experience.
ADHDTigger (05-15-10), meridian (05-19-10)
Old 05-18-10, 06:10 AM
Jr Member

I went to the doctor. He referred me to a psychiatrist. I am now completely scared and anxious to follow through any further. What happens in a psych office? oh man
The Following User Says Thank You to betweenthebars For This Useful Post:
meridian (05-19-10)
Old 05-18-10, 08:40 AM

Thanked 17,520 Times in 7,316 Posts
Amtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond reputeAmtram has a reputation beyond repute

The psychiatrist is the one who prescribes the medications. In something that can be as complex as this, where reactions to the same basic ingredient in different forms can work completely differently in the same person, and comorbid (coexisting) conditions may have to be treated at the same time, you need to see someone who specializes in this particular type of medicine.

You may walk out with samples as well as a prescription. Try the samples before filling the prescription if you do. People here can tell you if their experiences with the medication are similar to theirs, which can be helpful. You can get a handle on whether an effect or a side effect is permanent or temporary, indicates a positive response to the medication, etc.

It's reassuring and supportive, and you can take it back to your doctor - but your doctor's advice should take first priority. He/she has access to the research and innovations, and has seen how things work or don't with plenty of patients in person. The doctor puts you on the road to recovery; this place is just where you stop for directions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amtram For This Useful Post:
betweenthebars (05-19-10), meridian (05-19-10), ruby-lang (05-18-10)
Old 05-19-10, 01:05 AM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amtram View Post
The psychiatrist is the one who prescribes the medications. In something that can be as complex as this, where reactions to the same basic ingredient in different forms can work completely differently in the same person, and comorbid (coexisting) conditions may have to be treated at the same time, you need to see someone who specializes in this particular type of medicine.

You may walk out with samples as well as a prescription. Try the samples before filling the prescription if you do. People here can tell you if their experiences with the medication are similar to theirs, which can be helpful. You can get a handle on whether an effect or a side effect is permanent or temporary, indicates a positive response to the medication, etc.

It's reassuring and supportive, and you can take it back to your doctor - but your doctor's advice should take first priority. He/she has access to the research and innovations, and has seen how things work or don't with plenty of patients in person. The doctor puts you on the road to recovery; this place is just where you stop for directions.
thank you, i am going to set up an appointment tomorrow.
The Following User Says Thank You to betweenthebars For This Useful Post:
meridian (05-19-10)