ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-11, 10:34 AM

paulabear is on a distinguished road
Has anybody tried Attend?

...and if so, did you find it helped at all? I'm waiting for an appointment with a psychologist - I'm in the UK - and I'm just wondering whether I might get somewhere with this homeopathic medication. I would have to get it shipped over from the US as far as I can tell - if anyone knows of an alternative that's easier to get over here I'd appreciate that too! Thanks
Old 01-11-11, 12:11 PM
Contributor

Unbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Has anybody tried Attend?

Previous threads on Attend:

Has anyone tried Neu BeCalmed or ATTEND
Do Supplements & Vitamins Help?
Vaxa Attend has been helping me
Has anyone tried the ATTEND supplement

There's a search feature at the top of the forum. You can search the entire forum, or just one of the subforums. For example, for this question, you might want to limit your search to Misc Treatments and Approaches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (01-11-11), paulabear (01-11-11)
Old 01-11-11, 02:19 PM

cdnwolverine is on a distinguished road

I wrote this up for myself, trying to figure out if this stuff was worth it. After getting a giant list of names, I was then curious what they actually DID.

My end results was that since this stuff wasn't available in Canada (probably because we have actual standards regarding things like homeopathy), but instead concentrated on DHA, EPA, (Omega fatty acids) and L-5HTP.

This is the non-homeopathic ingredients, so basically, the things that do the work.

Medium Chain Triglycerides, L-Tyrosine, Alpha-Linolenic Acid, Green Tea Extract, Trifolium Pratense, Flax Seed Powder, Phosphatidycholine, Phosphatidylethanolamine, Phosphatidylinositol, EPA, L-Isoleucine, L-Leucine, L-Valine, DL-Methionine, L-Glutamic Acid, GABA, DMAE, Ginkgo Biloba, DHA, Conjugated Linoleic Acid, Eicosatrienoic Acid (from GLA powder), Arachidonic Acid, Glycine, DL-Phenylalanine, Radix Heraclei, Caproic Acid, Caprylic Acid, Capric Acid, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Lauric Acid, Pentadecanoic Acid, Myristic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Palmitoleic Acid, Stearic Acid, Arachidic Acid (from GLA powder), Oleic Acid, L-Glutathione, DiCalcium Pantothenate, Magnesium Aspartate, Zinc, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine, L-Cysteine, L-Cystine, Pycnogenol, Gotu Kola, Phosphatidylserine, NADH, L-5HTP, and Chromium Nicotinate, Gelatin, Rice Flour and Dextrose.

L-Tyrosine - "The effect on mood is more noticeable in humans subjected to stressful conditions"
Alpha-Linolenic Acid - "Although these two fatty acids (EPA and DHA) are readily available from fish, these marine-derived fatty acids can also be synthesized by humans from alpha-linolenic acid" (wiki)
Green Tea Extract - Probably for the L-theanine which helps GABA production.
Trifolium Pratense - A flower. "It has also been reported that red clover has been used for a variety of medicinal purposes, such as bronchitis, burns, cancers, ulcers, sedation, asthma, and syphilis." (wikipedia). Couldn't tell you why its in here, any effects seem anecdotal.
Flax Seed Powder - Flax is also a source of alpha-linolenic acid
Phosphatidylcholine - "Phosphatidylcholine is a vital substance that is in every cell in the human body" (wikipedia)
Phosphatidylethanolamine - "Cephalin is found in all living cells, although in human physiology it is found particularly in nervous tissue such as the white matter of brain, nerves, neural tissue, and in spinal cord." (wikipedia)
Phosphatidylinositol - "a minor component in the cytosolic side of eukaryotic cell membranes." (wikipedia)
EPA - "Eicosapentaenoic acid". Many types of fish oil is rich in EPA. "EPA may affect depression, and importantly, suicidal behavior" (wikipedia)
L-Isoleucine - Essential amino acid (wikipedia)
L-Leucine - Essential amino acid. "found to slow the degradation of muscle tissue by increasing the synthesis of muscle proteins in aged rats" (wikipedia)
L-Valine - Essential amino acid (wikipedia)
DL-Methionine - Essential amino acid (wikipedia)
L-Glutamic Acid - Non-essential amino acid. "Glutamate is a key molecule in cellular metabolism." (wikipedia)
DMAE - Dimethylaminoethanol. "Short-term studies have shown an increase in vigilance and alertness, with a positive influence on mood. Research for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) has been promising, though inconclusive." (wikpedia)
Ginkgo Biloba - "According to some studies, Ginkgo can significantly improve attention in healthy individuals." (wikipedia)
DHA - "Docosahexaenoic acid" Many types of fish oil is rich in DHA. "DHA deficiency is associated with cognitive decline" and "DHA is depleted in the cerebral cortex of severely depressed patients" (wikipedia)
Conjugated Linoleic Acid - "Antioxidant and anti-cancer properties have been attributed to CLA, and studies on mice and rats show encouraging results in hindering the growth of tumors in mammary, skin, and colon tissues" (wikipedia)
Eicosatrienoic Acid (from GLA powder) is "the immediate precursor to Arachidonic acid". (AOCS Lipid Library)
Arachidonic Acid - is "a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid" that "is one of the most abundant fatty acids in the brain" and "helps to maintain hippocampal cell membrane fluidity" as well as activating "syntaxin-3 (STX-3), a protein involved in the growth and repair of neurons" (wikipedia)
Glycine - Not sure about this presence. wikipedia suggests that "Certain drug formulations include glycine to improve gastric absorption of the drug" amongst other things such as Inhibitory postsynaptic potential, that seems to help with GABA uptake, but also something to do with glutamate where it's a co-receptor for NMDA receptor which is "is the predominant molecular device for controlling synaptic plasticity and memory function". (also wiki).
DL-Phenylalanine - "It is used in the manufacture of food and drink products and sold as a nutritional supplement for its reputed analgesic and antidepressant effects." (wikipedia) and also "The body changes phenylalanine into tyrosine, another amino acid that's needed to make proteins, brain chemicals including L-dopa, epinephrine, and norepinephrine, and thyroid hormones. Because norepinephrine affects mood, different forms of phenylalanine have been proposed to treat depression. Symptoms of phenylalanine deficiency include confusion, lack of energy, depression, decreased alertness, memory problems, and lack of appetite." (U of Maryland Medical Center).
Radix Heraclei - I can't find a concrete answer about this. What little I find references VAXA themselves, or is a non-scientific site. "Radix heraclei is a Chinese herb that has been used for centuries to help relieve stress and comfort the system. It is often used by herbalists to release tension that is causing emotional rigidness." (NaturalADHDCure)
Caproic Acid - aka "Hexanoic acid". "It is a fatty acid found naturally in various animal fats and oils, and is one of the chemicals that gives the decomposing fleshy seed coat of the ginkgo its characteristic unpleasant odor." Included because of the Ginkgo Biloba above, I imagine. (wikipedia)
Caprylic Acid - "Caprylic acid is the common name for the eight-carbon saturated fatty acid known by the systematic name octanoic acid. It is found naturally in the milk of various mammals, and it is a minor constituent of coconut oil and palm kernel oil" but also "Caprylic acid is also used in the treatment of some bacterial infections. Due to its relatively short chain length it has no difficulty in penetrating fatty cell wall membranes, hence its effectiveness in combating certain lipid-coated bacteria." (wikipedia)
Capric Acid - "Capric acid occurs naturally in coconut oil and palm kernel oil, as well as in the milk of various mammals and to a lesser extent in other animal fats" (wikipedia) - Like the previous 2 related acids, these may be in the concoction to encourage absorption into the body.
Alpha Lipoic Acid - Seems to have many, many uses.
Lauric Acid - Solid at room temperature, may just be a solidifying agent. (wikipedia)
Pentadecanoic Acid - Can't tell for sure
Myristic Acid - also called 'tetradecanoic acid'. Fatty acid, may be used to encourage absorption into the body (wikipedia)
Palmitic Acid - Again, also likely for absoption into the body (wikipedia)
Palmitoleic Acid - I'm honestly not sure. (wikipedia)
Stearic Acid - Definitely pill creation materials (wikipedia)
Arachidic Acid (from GLA powder) - Pill creation (wikipedia)
Oleic Acid - Also likely an emulsifier. (wikipedia)
L-Glutathione - An antioxidant (wikipedia)
Di-Calcium Pantothenate aka Vitamin B5. (wikipedia)
Magnesium Aspartate - The magnesium salt of aspartic acid. Aspartate "stimulates NMDA receptors, though not as strongly as the amino acid neurotransmitter glutamate does. It serves as an excitatory neurotransmitter in the brain and is an excitotoxin." (wikipedia)
Zinc - it's zinc. It does zinc-y things.
Niacinamide - "Animal studies show that nicotinamide has anti-anxiety (anxiolytic) properties. It may work in a way similar to benzodiazepines." (wikipedia)
Pyridoxine - "It is required for the production of the monoamine neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and epinephrine, as it is the precursor to pyridoxal phosphate: cofactor for the enzyme aromatic amino acid decarboxylase. This enzyme is responsible for converting the precursors 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) into serotonin and levodopa (L-DOPA) into dopamine, noradrenaline and adrenaline." (wikipedia)
L-Cysteine - "Due to the ability of thiols to undergo redox reactions, cysteine has antioxidant properties." (wikipedia)
L-Cystine - "The disulfide link is readily reduced to give the corresponding thiol, cysteine. This reaction is typically effected with thiols such as mercaptoethanol or dithiothreitol. For this reason, the nutritional benefits and sources of cystine are identical to those for the more common cysteine" (wikipedia)
Pycnogenol - Antioxidant (wikipedia)
Gotu Kola - "Centella asiatica is used to re-vitalize the brain and nervous system, increase attention span and concentration, and combat aging. Centella asiatica also has anti-oxidant properties" (wikipedia)
Phosphatidylserine - "First pilot studies indicate that PS supplementation might be beneficial for children with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder" (wikipedia)
NADH - Not sure. (wikipedia)
L-5HTP "5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), also known as oxitriptan (INN), is a naturally-occurring amino acid and chemical precursor as well as metabolic intermediate in the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters serotonin and melatonin from tryptophan." - (wikipedia)

and Chromium Nicotinate, Gelatin, Rice Flour and Dextrose.
The Following User Says Thank You to cdnwolverine For This Useful Post:
paulabear (01-11-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-11, 02:24 PM

Thank you! I'll do that in future - had done a general search and come up with lots of threads which possibly had it mentioned within but I couldn't find anything useful
Old 01-11-11, 03:04 PM
Contributor

Unbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of lightUnbelievable is a glorious beacon of light

No problem. It can take time to find your way around to all the options available. I've been on another vbulletin forum, (vbulletin is the software they use), for a long time and did modding there so I had a head start when I came here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
paulabear (01-13-11)
Old 01-11-11, 04:03 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,850 Times in 1,776 Posts
EshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant futureEshkaronsEngine has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbelievable View Post
Previous threads on Attend:

Has anyone tried Neu BeCalmed or ATTEND
Do Supplements & Vitamins Help?
Vaxa Attend has been helping me
Has anyone tried the ATTEND supplement

There's a search feature at the top of the forum. You can search the entire forum, or just one of the subforums. For example, for this question, you might want to limit your search to Misc Treatments and Approaches.

peripatetic is nuts and I'm the squirrel.
Old 01-11-11, 04:30 PM
Contributor

The things, you say
Your purple prose just gives you away
The things, you say
You're unbelievable

Apologies for any earworms as a result of my forum name. rebelyell is guilty too btw:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unbelievable For This Useful Post:
EshkaronsEngine (01-11-11), paulabear (01-13-11)
Old 01-12-11, 05:38 PM

Pasha is on a distinguished road

I jsut bought it today (the attend)and emptied all the focalin on the ground...i tried it 2 days w my son it was for my son and giving my histroy of drugs felt like I was on coke hydocodon and valum all mixed together and felt angry enough to hurt someone after i came down last night and my son was being hatful to his sister somthing he never did that aggressive im willing to try anytthing but that focalin its a controled substance i feel like i can easily get hooked.
Old 01-13-11, 05:42 PM

I love EMF!! Went to see them when they had a reunion gig in London, was such a brilliant time! So your name makes me happy
Old 01-29-11, 01:15 AM

addkid92 will become famous soon enough

Pasha,

The dosage may have been too high. Doctors tend to over medicate their patients, believe me, I was put on an extremely high dosage of ritalin as a child - when I first started meds, and, started hearing voices. The dosage was lowered and I became the mannered, obedient, self-disciplined robot society wants us to be.

If attend works, great. If not, don't push meds out of the picture completley. I'd try attend but $30 isn't worth it when caffeine does the job.