ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-04, 12:12 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
Surfing the internet...(ADD and computer multitasking)

I've noticed that when I'm surfing the internet, I always end up having about 10 windows open. As I'm going along, I click links that go off other pages to open a new window, and then I always just continue surfing in that window....so I have about a billion windows open when I look down. I just closed another copy of this forum I've had open for a while that I hadn't looked at...I clicked a link off it, then just favorites listed back. Whoops! Heh

I also wonder how many of you find multitasking on the computer comforting? I like it when I can do 6 things at once, and on my own time, so I can just complete it as the random thought fires back into my head out of nowhere. It is a problem in chats, though, because I forget they are there unless they flash or make noise.

Anyways, just some observations. Anybody else observe the same thing?
Daydreamin22 (11-02-13), MX2012 (11-02-13), someothertime (11-02-13)
Old 08-18-04, 05:18 PM

jaimegerise has disabled reputation
Oh man, I can REALLY get carried away at times..... I try to pace myself nowadays though...and if I see I am getting interested in too much at once...I jot down a list of things to go back and look at and then close out some windows...and come back to them later.
Old 08-18-04, 05:50 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Try Mozilla or the Foxfire browser. They are tabbed browsers so you can keep tabs..heh on your open windows. My whole desktop environment is tabbed. Every window and every open program has a tab at the top of my screen. Check out "fluxbox". I don't think it comes with winduhs though. But Mozilla and Foxfire come in windoz versions I think.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.
ian.
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-04, 06:05 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
I am currently using Mozilla...
Old 08-18-04, 11:45 PM

Well, that takes care of that then.

Old 08-19-04, 01:51 AM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
Yeah, eventually I have to shut them all down sometimes & start over, it's too much.
Old 08-20-04, 01:37 AM

wasted is on a distinguished road
i usually average about 20+ internet windows open at once, not to mention other applications. my sister hates me for this because i can't close them down, it's an addiction i swear :P then when the computer freezes (most of the time i think my sister just CLAIMED it froze) and has to be restarted i freak out because i can't remember what i had open, but i am convinced it was "so important" haha. and, of course, i can always get back to them via the history but that is just too much work for me.
Old 08-20-04, 07:15 PM

meldroc is on a distinguished road
Mozilla/Firefox style tabs are my friend (actually, I use Konqueror, which also has this feature.)

I have somewhere between several hundred and a thousand bookmarks on my system, which I use to keep track of all my web sites.
Old 08-20-04, 08:35 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I like mozilla's tabbed browsing because I can chose when & how to tab but the winxp tabbed file explorer bugs me (unless there's a way to turn that option off I don't know about). I only want it tabbed when I ask to have it tabbed.
Old 08-20-04, 09:35 PM
Jr Member

Kimmmie is on a distinguished road
guilty also of multi tasking on the puter... cant surf the net unless i have my fav card game (spider) going plus switching between a word game and whatever else is a current fav game plus my messenger to chat inbetween.

at the moment i've got only 4 internet windows open, messenger, a chat, spider, wordlink (game), CoralDraw (creating designs for work) and this window (ADDforums)

and i'm not even suppose to b on the damn computer ...hahahaha
Old 08-24-04, 02:54 AM

wasted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
I like mozilla's tabbed browsing because I can chose when & how to tab but the winxp tabbed file explorer bugs me (unless there's a way to turn that option off I don't know about). I only want it tabbed when I ask to have it tabbed.
ME TOO!!! does anyone know if there is a way to undo that? I hate that all I can see is "33 firefox" and have to click on it to see each individual screen. especially since so many websites have non-descriptive titles such as "____" [ speaking of which, i appreciate these forums' descriptive titles ]. I would rather, for example, file all my OTHER applications under one tab, so that I'd have more horizontal room to put my internet windows. So is this just an XP thing that I can't ever change?

I don't know why I care so much I guess because as soon as I reach the point where I have too many open windows and it goes to the consolidated "firefox" tab, it gets even harder for me to close windows because I don't realize I have so many open, and I forget to even look at most of them... haha I'm hopeless I guess!

[ 20 yea
r old female student from california, usa ]

i love... animals, photography, drawing (pencil, pen & ink), painting, beading, collages, playing piano & violin, alternative and rock music, night time, the moon, fall weather, ice skating, horseback riding, water polo, collecting vintage care bears, rainbow brite and strawberry shortcake memorabilia

i'm hoping to become... a photographer, graphic designer, film editor or veterinarian.
Old 08-24-04, 10:44 AM

WhatDistraction is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Gotta have the tabbed browsing (firefox for me). There's even a firefox add-in (or should I say ADD-in) that lets you open a link in a new tab by clicking and dragging it to an empty region on the page; a very nice way to get a record number of tabs open in a hurry.

Couple that with firefox's "bookmark all tabs in a folder" feature and you have instant topic bookmarks
Old 08-24-04, 10:49 AM
ADDvanced Member

daisyo75 is on a distinguished road
I havn't used it for awhile but Opera used to have a feature where you could save a group of tabs. SO instead of book marking a single page you can book mark the entire group and then open them all together again.

I too end up having many windows open at once. I definately go on tangents and have 3 or more different topics in progress at any given time.

My name is Daisy and I have a short atten.... oh look at that shiny rock.
Old 08-24-04, 12:17 PM

A little heavy on the milk on that young image in your avatar daisyo.. heheh way cute!

Old 08-24-04, 12:53 PM

gabriela will become famous soon enough
you mean there are actually people out there who only keep *one* window open at a time???

"come to the edge,' he said. they said: 'we are afraid.' 'come to the edge.' they came. he pushed them...and they flew."
(apollinaire)

"what do we know but that we face one another in this place?"
(yeats)