ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sleeping
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-11, 02:51 AM

hodson is on a distinguished road
Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Hi all members here,
Me also some kind of depression and sleep disorder now a day's, I wanna got the better one idea's about getting rid of this one problem and have the good one and tension free life out there.... Thanks for any help and suggestions....
Old 07-21-11, 08:04 AM
ADDvanced Member

Honeybadger will become famous soon enough

Checking in.

23, been diagnosed since I was four or five. On and off medications, (all versions of methylphenidate, adderall, strattera, currently back on concerta and am trying out wellbutrin as well, since it's actually a dopamine/norepenephrine drug, NOT an SSRI.)

I'm a fit guy (6'3, regular swimmer) and I have sleep apnea. But CPAP therapy can't help if I can't fall asleep!

Average for me used to be 1-3 hours, but the past month or so has been 4-8 hours of just laying in bed, in my pitch black room, in my ultracomfortable bed, just flat out not able to turn off my brain. I'll occasionally take ambien, and it will make me feel stoned off my ***, but my brain must take it as a challenge, because it'll blow right through that stuff. Second day and beyond I don't even feel it.

Paired with the severe insomnia, is the fact that I sleep like a dead person when I finally do, yet I'll wake up several times at really strange stimuli in between. And when I wake up, I feel so miserable that I will literally justify to myself that I don't need to go to work. Or school. Or even do things that I really want to, like out to work on my motorcycle. I feel outrageously terrible, and will only drag my *** out of bed because it's 4PM and I just can't justify it past then (sometimes it's actually 14-15 hours of sleep) I think this is from my apnea, but with that mask on (and I've been fitted for several, and my current one is very comfortable) I can't fall asleep to see if it actually works. I've had the machine for eight months now and have slept maybe one night with it. And I put it on every time my head hits a pillow, only to take it off 2 or 3 hours later in an attempt to fall asleep.

I was unmedicated for a few years (was on strattera. I honestly haven't felt anything with these things beyond the fact that ritalin makes my RLS mostly go away when I want to sleep) and it was hell. I kept starting school, and kept dropping out after 2 or 3 WEEKS. They need me up at 7, 8, or 9 AM, and my body will not comply. Hell, I don't even HAVE a "wake-up" point. Just a point at which I can't justify going back to sleep again and hauling my miserable self out of bed.

I recently found an amazing ADD psych, and I'm learning lots of stuff that I didn't know, but none of it helps me sleep, which is the root cause for my depression, all my anxiety, my inability to work or even go to school. I'm literally nonfunctional with regards to things that I really care about (job and school primarily)

I tried adderall again, and it made me feel terrible. Didn't eat for two days. Ritalin seems like it's on the right path, but I'm just not getting ENOUGH of an effect to slow my brain down like it does my legs, despite messing with the dosage (doc writes me lots of low-dose scrips so I can play with them myself and find what works)

As it is, I'm having a hard time justifying my own life. If I can't do the most basic thing required for a person to live an average life, why the heck should I keep living in abject misery? (note, I would never actually commit suicide. I'm far too intelligent for that. But the fact that the concept has crossed my mind is what I really feel drives home my situation.)

In closing, I have every problem in the book with regards to sleep. Apnea, severe insomnia, no internal clock at all, complete inability to wake up when required, constant wake-ups when I finally do sleep.

Done two or three sleep studies, had bloodwork done, I've tried every single sleeping "tip and trick" in the book, tried meditation, none of it has even dented my problem in the least.

I've had one restful night's sleep in my entire life. One.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Honeybadger For This Useful Post:
colnajoe (02-01-12), swashbedazzled (12-08-11)
Old 07-27-11, 04:22 PM

sarahly818 is on a distinguished road

It's good to hear I am not the only one who can't sleep at night! I have a really hard time falling asleep. Usually I have thoughts bouncing around my head, reminders of things I need to do the following day or haven't done today. Then when I am laying awake I get all anxious because I know I'm not sleeping and know I need to be sleeping so then I get all stressed out and add that to my screaming thoughts and music blarring in my head. Usually doesn't make it very easy for one to get to sleep let alone get to a deep sleep. I've tried pretty much everything, baths, tea, reading, no TV or music, no eating, making to do lists before 6PM of things that need to be done the following day, Ativan, Xanax, Melatonin and pretty much nothing helps. If any one has any suggestions I would be MORE than happy to hear them! My doctors seems quite hesitant to try me on sleeping meds while I'm taking my ADD meds but I don't really know if there's any other option!
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-11, 12:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

One can learn to stop the thoughts that are bouncing around in your head. I did. It's been years and I can't remember what I read that helped me, but I learned to improve my sleep hygiene with a regular, calming routine and emptying my mind of intrusive thoughts. This was before I was diagnosed with ADHD. I now find that Ritalin has helped my sleep as well.

Phaedrus

Old 08-03-11, 08:45 AM
Forum Guru

KronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to beholdKronarTheBlack is a splendid one to behold

I was prescribed 50 to 100mg of Seroquel for my insomnia due to the inability to stop thinking at night. Works like a charm and I take 50 75 or 100mg depending on how amped up I feel at night. Its an off-label use of the medication but it works wonders for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to KronarTheBlack For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-11-11)
Old 08-22-11, 08:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,789 Times in 1,932 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeybadger View Post

In closing, I have every problem in the book with regards to sleep. Apnea, severe insomnia, no internal clock at all, complete inability to wake up when required, constant wake-ups when I finally do sleep.
Did anyone suggest you try CPAP therapy and if so, was it any help?

Phaedrus

Old 08-26-11, 01:53 AM

mentalfloss is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He explained that he has been using some of the stim meds to treat the sleep issues with success. The thinking is- calm the racing mind/brain and the body can relax/sleep. As I've been browsing the internet, I've found some articles by some of the leading experts that discussed and support this thinking. I never worried about the possible side-effect of 'sleeplessness' caused by the meds since it had always been a problem for me (yep, even as a baby, never slept!, nearly drove my mom crazy).

I've seen posts on this forum in a couple of places where people have said they have accidently discovered on their own, that taking a dose of their meds late one time actually allowed them to get to sleep much quicker than they ever had!
I've been wondering if anyone else noticed this about their ADHD meds. Just by accident I found out that if I take a quarter of a 20mg Adderall IR tablet before bed, I get a great night's sleep. It calms my thinking. Before I figured this out, there were nights when my mind wouldn't stop racing, especially if it had been a few hours since my last dose. I never would've thought that a stimulant could give me a better night's sleep. I've heard people say that only those with ADHD can get a good night's sleep after taking something like Adderall. It kinda makes sense.

Take care all...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mentalfloss For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (08-27-11), SweetCode (09-13-11)
Old 08-31-11, 11:40 PM

existentialblu is a jewel in the roughexistentialblu is a jewel in the roughexistentialblu is a jewel in the rough

I've got the "can't sleep, clowns will eat me" sort of thing in the evening and then I become a hibernating cranky beast come 7 am. When I'm trying to get to sleep I've been known to count 1000 breaths or play stupid letter games and find myself focused on stupid stuff and unable to sleep well over an hour after I get in bed. Fortunately I don't have the full-out insomnia that many people in this thread do. When I do eventually get to sleep it tends to stick. Even in those rare times when I do have a regular morning person sleep schedule with a decent amount of down time and almost start to feel adjusted I can revert to night owl in a day or two. Always been this way as far back as I can remember. Napping is a futile endeavor unless I'm seriously sleep deprived.

I haven't been on ritalin long enough to really know how it affects my sleep as I hit a time of absurdly irregular work hours and sleep deprivation at pretty much the same time that I started it. Back when I thought I just had garden variety depression with fidgeting and space cadet tendencies, and would go through Wellbutrin phases I did find that the slight reduction in brain static could help. Melatonin kinda works but makes my already stupidly active dreaming life even more so and can make any pre-existing funk that much worse. I hear it eats serotonin or something like that (to put it unscientifically).

I hate to admit it, but Benadryl works. It has since I swallowed my pride and decided that it was okay to "shoot down the tree monkeys" back in high school. I don't seem to build a tolerance to it, though sometimes, seemingly at random, it won't work at all. It does leave me stupidly groggy as I will frequently oversleep to all hell when I take it, but it's still better than spending hours wandering the halls of my own mind and it takes bed time panic attacks to pretty much zero.
Old 09-03-11, 07:04 AM

Mark Chow is on a distinguished road

My mother in law is suffering terribly from getting a poor nights sleep. Any suggestions as to what she can do or take to create positive she has a superb sleep to ease the effects of insomnia??
Old 09-13-11, 04:03 AM

petejones is on a distinguished road

I've been also do have a problem with insomnia I can't sleep late at night even I am tire and I want to go to sleep it doesn't happened easily. I want to sleep early because the other day I have some work to do.
Old 09-13-11, 10:32 PM
Contributor

SweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to beholdSweetCode is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentalfloss View Post
I've been wondering if anyone else noticed this about their ADHD meds. Just by accident I found out that if I take a quarter of a 20mg Adderall IR tablet before bed, I get a great night's sleep. It calms my thinking. Before I figured this out, there were nights when my mind wouldn't stop racing, especially if it had been a few hours since my last dose. I never would've thought that a stimulant could give me a better night's sleep. I've heard people say that only those with ADHD can get a good night's sleep after taking something like Adderall. It kinda makes sense.

Take care all...
I'll try that tonight... I always had problems sleeping but after going to 30mg of ritalin daily things got really bad(even I taking my last dose at noon)... I'll try to taking 5mg before going to bed, maybe it's related to some form of rebound effect of the medicine worn off related to the hyperactivity.

Meds: Ritalin IR 10mg + Vyvanse 50mg 1x/day | Pantoprazole 40mg 2x/day
Disclaimer: (If you see me posting something related with meds , please remember that I am not a doctor , I like to research but please don't take any action from my advices without talking with your doctor.)
The Following User Says Thank You to SweetCode For This Useful Post:
mentalfloss (09-29-11)
Old 09-29-11, 08:23 PM

mentalfloss is on a distinguished road

Hey SweetCode, did that work for you? Just curious.

Good luck...
Old 09-30-11, 09:07 PM

madeadifference is on a distinguished road

Greetings,
I was intrigued by this forum when I was researching fructose malabsorption. While I have not been diagnosed, yet,with this disorder, I am quite confident that I have it. Why? I love raw onions, but when I eat them I experience severe insomnia. This was first noticed thirty years ago, and I, as might be expected, learned to avoid raw onions. When I mentioned this to friends the other day, following a night of insomnia from eating Baja Fresh, a friend suggested I google it, which of course I did. Oddly, raw onions are frequently recommended for insomnia, but for those who have fructose malabsorption, insomnia is one of the secondary symptons.
So, why am I on a ADD forum? When googling I found this site and how raw onions make those who responded sleepy. Plus the last poster asked about a possible connection to autoimmune disorders. So, here I am. My husband would describe me as ADHD; when trying to get household chores done I frequently have the dishwasher and dryer doors open at the same time, while doing something else that became an absolute priority. Additionally, I have two forms of autoimmune diseases: sjogren's syndrome and autoimmune hepatitis. Both were diagnosed in 1996. Moreover, four plus years ago I developed NonHodgkin's Lymphome and received chemo and Rituxan therapy. Rituxan is a maintenance drug that I get in the form of an IV every three months. Additionally, all though I have experience a great deal of loss during my life, in comparison to those who live in the developed world, I have also been diagnosed with PTSD, major depression and anxiety...all can be manifestations of Fructose Malabsorption.
Always looking for the "simple" solution in a complicated world, I would like others out there who also have insomnia from raw onions to respond.
Thanks.
Old 11-23-11, 01:26 AM
Jr Member

research4now has disabled reputation

@ Honeybadger: After reading your post (if you get this since it was months ago) - I think you should read up on Asperger's Syndrome; a type of autism.

There are many points you drove home that remind me of someone I know that has basically the same issues. Until recently, that person was not diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and then realized he or she fit every symptom of the diagnosis. This is in addition to AD/HD, depression, chronic insomnia, narcolepsy, et al.

Best Wishes - Research4now :-)

Trazodone (not truly being a SSRI taken at night) with Ambien CLEARED all the sleeping problems. That person notes that both may be way too strong for most people but Trazodone literally was life-changing for depression, anxiety, sleep, et al and you know when it starts working even at @ a VERY low dose of 100 mg that person notes to me.

Please note: I have no Medical School Training (US and Worldwide of any kind) therefore, you are responsible for any opinion(s) you form from reading what I wrote and subsequent actions. All information contained here is strictly of my opinion.

Last edited by research4now; 11-23-11 at 01:53 AM..
Old 11-23-11, 01:51 AM
Jr Member

research4now has disabled reputation
Lightbulb Re: Sleeping/Insomnia Forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahly818 View Post
It's good to hear I am not the only one who can't sleep at night! I have a really hard time falling asleep. Usually I have thoughts bouncing around my head, reminders of things I need to do the following day or haven't done today. Then when I am laying awake I get all anxious because I know I'm not sleeping and know I need to be sleeping so then I get all stressed out and add that to my screaming thoughts and music blarring in my head. Usually doesn't make it very easy for one to get to sleep let alone get to a deep sleep. I've tried pretty much everything, baths, tea, reading, no TV or music, no eating, making to do lists before 6PM of things that need to be done the following day, Ativan, Xanax, Melatonin and pretty much nothing helps. If any one has any suggestions I would be MORE than happy to hear them! My doctors seems quite hesitant to try me on sleeping meds while I'm taking my ADD meds but I don't really know if there's any other option!
Hey there; I am an insomniac guru (not a wonderful title!) and have had it since age 16 or so. Either way, your choices for hypnotics (sleep medications specifically for insomnia) are: 1. The old school Sonata (generic and very cheap, usually a capsule) 2. Lunesta (modified version of Sonata and if you have Health Insurance; I think I last saw that the company that profits from Lunesta at the website for it will allow you 12 months of FREE 30 day scripts - very easy to sign up for!) 3. Ambien (generic is very cheap @ Wal-Mart) 4. Ambien CR (still Brand and $$$ unless you have Prescrip. Insurance but VERY strong...I mean very Strong) and 5. I have NO experience with Chloral Hydrate (liquid and so dose dependent you can die instantly from not Breathing during sleep - This is what "supposedly" very famous Hollywood folks may have died from just a very small overdose of the liquid)

Remember, those are the straight-up Hypnotics specifically and medically formulated/dispensed in the USA for Insomnia (NOS - Not Otherwise Specified) for: either Prescription Plans and the American Medical Association or both.

You can try: Of course Trazodone (off-label modified tricyclic Anti-Depressant - very strong some say usually start up dose as my friend tells me @ 100 mgs. per night - Very Cheap - 90 day supply $10 @ Wal-Mart if no Presc. Insurance)

Please note: I have no Medical School Training (US and Worldwide of any kind) therefore, you are responsible for any opinion(s) you form from reading what I wrote and subsequent actions. All information contained here is strictly of my opinion.

Best Regards,
Research4now :-)