ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 03-05-09, 07:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

kimmyh51 will become famous soon enough
Tips on how to get to work on time!

Hi all

I've been out of work for the last 3 mths, due to a contract being ended (partially cos i was always late) and due to moving back to my own country

anyway I now have some job offers on the table but I dont know if I will be able to negotiate flexi time and the market isnt such that I can pick and choose

Unlike some ppl with adhd I dont have major problems with performance and meetings and so on thru the day once I am at work

If I can get there on time, I usually do a bl--dy good job. I have occasional 'adhd' probs with taking deliverables literally (and not being able to lookinto a glass ball and see that friday means wednesday (not even sure if that was me think it was the arsehole I was working for)

But anyway I am really BAD with getting there on time. If Im on flexi time, then usually I can make the occasional early morning meeting (whereever possible Ill schedule them later on but if that isnt possible...) - however it usually means I get up like 4 hrs prior and then need a sleep in the next day

I also find when on flexi time i actually get to work earlier on the whole because I am not stressed, because I dont have that feeling of omg no way i can get there by 9 and then anticipating the telling off i will get when late... and then i get stressed and all the adhd things that make me late like losing my keys, unable to find socks, etc etc happen and i leave the house and return cos i forgot/lost something, about 6 times at 15 mins per time (so there we go 1.5hrs wasted on stressing out...)

Once I am at work, my deliverables are always met - I work in a field I enjoy and do well, and I usually find that my workload is significantly below what I could handle (which probably doesnt help my attitude with start times - Im thinking 'I have no meetings, no one was looking for me, and considering there is less than half a days work before I am done, anyway what the f--k does it matter if i am a little late!?'

On top of that I contract so only paid for the time I am there - youd think if i was delivering the goods for half the cost they would be happy - and flexi time employers usuallyare

but anyway - enough attempting to justify this

can anyone who has the same problem as me, and has managed to overcome it to the extent where they are consistantly on time (from once being late every single day and having it a major issue in every single job that wasnt flexi time) please post me with the specific techniques trhat work for them and how

i know there are articles and i have read these and will be trying to follow the advise such as prepare the night before, put keys and so on in same place daily, checklist before bed, allow more time than i think i need etc

However Id like to hear your real life experiences - which of these techniques really worked for you and why, which didnt, and any others you came up with that arent on the usual lists and guides?

after my losing my last job due to this ( my deliverables were met and signed off, everything else was at or above expectations - but my boss couldnt cope with me not being there at the prescribed time) I cant afford to have it happen again, I HAVE to find a way to conqueur my life long start time issue

note for me its only star time, i usually have no probs with meeting times that are later in the day, etc, it is ONLY when i have a job where 'work starts at 8.30 am, or 9am, or whatever (doesnt even matter what time, more that its a rigid time) that i have major probs

also any employers here who have dealt with this would love to hear what i can do to mitigate it from your perspective?

thanks
Old 03-05-09, 05:24 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of
Re: Tips on how to get to work on time!

Out of the 41 jobs I've had from age 18 to 48, I was only fired from two... both for being late (although one was more of a political issue).

I think what has kept me from being fired for being late at the rest of the jobs is the fact that I never stayed long enough at any of them to p*i*s*s off my boss!

My current employer has put up with my lateness, forgetting about workdays, for over 6 years now... I'm loathe to leave and find another job down the line because of it.

Although soon.. we will have a new lab supervisor... and I have no idea how he will respond to my tardiness.

I think the Concerta helps me out some.
Putting my work schedule into my iPod Touch helps, but only if I refer to it prior to my workday.

I realize I have started a clock-watching behavior sometimes.
Like when I'm at the computer, and I keep looking at the time in the corner of the screen. The trouble there is making my mind stop saying... "...okay, I'm just going to finish looking at my email then I will turn this off and go do _____!", then winding up somewhere else, having forgotten my original intentions.

Going in-and-out of the house several times before finally getting into the car and leaving is a MAJOR issue for me.
So-much-so, that my former wife used to threaten leaving me behind on vacations if I didn't come out of the house once... and STAY OUT!

It's like that at work also...
"WSmac... weren't you going to the bathroom 10 minutes ago?"
"WSmac... you were supposed to be on lunch already!"
"WSmac... how come you're still here at work? Didn't your shift end 2 hours ago?"

I definitely know that routine works good for me.. but it hinders me also.

Once I have my schedule down... I remember it pretty much every time.
If I set up my day before work in such a way that I do the same exact things in the same order, just before I need to leave the house... I can get to work on time.

If I'm not at home... I have to try really hard to remember what time I'm working and how long it will take me to get to work from here, do I have all my stuff with me?, when do I have to quit what I'm doing to leave ample time to make it to work?

One thing a therapist suggested to me once was 'backwards scheduling'.

Let's take today, for example.
I go to work tonight at 3pm.
Work is the last major event in my life today.
So I put down in my little schedule/list...
3pm WORK

Then I start going backwards...

3pm WORK
2:50 pm Leave home to go to work
2:15 pm Leave school, drive home, get ready for work
2:00 pm stop what I'm doing at school and go to my car
1:30 pm log off this computer, and go to the gym to change out and run for 20 minutes with a 10 minute shower and change period afterwards. (I will have to measure my run time to fit this schedule, so I may run on the track and not go out around the campus. This way I can stop anytime and head straight into the gym, rather than realize I am still a half mile away from the gym and I'll over shoot my times even if I run full-bore!)

When I do use this method... it works FANTASTICALLY!

Eh.. it's 1:23... gotta go!

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 03-06-09, 01:59 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ruby85 has a spectacular aura aboutRuby85 has a spectacular aura about

I have this problem, although I also have the problem of working too slow once I arrive at the office (my meds have me hyperfocusing like crazy and I lose track of time). I commute from Baltimore to DC for work, so I have to be out the door 1.5 hours before I want to arrive at work! I'm on flex time, so I can arrive any time between 7:00 and 9:00 am, but earlier is better to avoid traffic. My plan was to wake up at 5:00 (in the morning, yes) and leave at 5:45, arriving at 7:15. So far, I've managed to accomplish that...twice, in the 2 months that I've had this job.

First of all, I blame my cats. Unlike many ADDers, I'm an organizational wizard (or OCD, depending on my mood). Ever since I was a kid, I've made a habit of packing up my bag and lunch the night before, and leaving them in the same place before I go to sleep. No problem there; it's easy once you get used to it (I find it helpful to create a checklist in the beginning). My problem is I have 2 kittens who are very playful first thing in the morning, and they demand my attention while I'm getting ready for work. I can hear them ripping up the carpet outside the bathroom when I'm brushing my teeth. So I keep stopping to play with them. Only 30 seconds at a time, I swear! But it adds up.

Second of all, I never get up when my alarm goes off. I mean, come on, it's 5:00 in the morning. I usually manage to drag myself out of bed by 5:30, so I'm already half an hour late before I even open my eyes. The obvious solution: Go to bed at 9:00 pm sharp the night before! 8 hours of sleep are essential.

Another time-saver is eating a portable breakfast. I just grab a protein bar and eat it in the car. Also, I have rules: I'm not even allowed to turn on my computer until after work in the evenings. If I try to quickly check my email before I leave for work, it turns into 2 hours of Wikipedia. So no computer, no TV, and no cleaning the apartment (that's a biggie; for some reason, I always feel compelled to start tidying up before I leave for work).

Seems like the biggest thing slowing you down in the morning is anxiety. You're in a rush, stressed, anxious, misplacing things, etc. Chaos never helped anyone get to work on time! Luckily, there's a good solution to this: Move your entire morning routine to the night before.

As much of it as you can, at least. Shower the night before. Pack lunch the night before. Put everything you need in your bag the night before: keys, drivers license, money, credit cards, ID, cell phone, iPod, lipstick, etc. Whatever you carry with you on a daily basis, make sure it's in your bag/purse the night before. You don't want to go looking for all those loose things in the morning, when you're in a frantic rush. I even decide what I'm going to wear the night before.

The morning should not be a time of looking for things or making decisions, that's what I've learned. When you wake up, all you should need to do is wash your face, brush your teeth, put on clothes, and go. Everything else should be done the night before, so all your stuff is together and ready for you to just grab on your way out the door.

Make sure you schedule a strict time to leave the house. Instead of thinking "Gotta be at work by 9:00," you should think "Gotta leave the house by 8:30." That makes 8:30 your deadline, so you have enough time to actually commute to work.

It's definitely helpful for me to have a routine. In the beginning, I actually had to write up a schedule for myself. Like "5:00 - wake up. 5:05 - wash up/brush teeth. 5:20 - get dressed. 5:30 - refill cats' food/water. 5:35 - make sure I have everything. 5:45 - GET IN THE CAR." Now, that schedule is second nature to me, and I just do it. Once I conquer the arduous task of getting out of bed, that is.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-09, 09:29 PM
Forum ADDvocate

wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I think I owe you a big THANKS! for starting this thread when you did.

After I wrote all that about backwards scheduling... and used yesterday as an example....

I DID IT!

I actually logged off, went to my car and switched my school bag for my gym bag, ran 2 miles around the track, showered, made it home, changed into my scrubs, grabbed some stuff out of the fridge for dinner, then made it to work to clock on within our grace time... 7 minutes after the hour (after 3:07, if I had clocked in, I would have lost a quarter of an hour's pay).

So, even though you probably didn't mean to make this all happen... you helped me out yesterday!

Thank You

THANK You

THANK YOU!

.....ummm... can you help me out again tomorrow?... I gotta be at work by 2pm......

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
Old 03-06-09, 10:07 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

I'm rarely late, I just set my clock ahead, it's been ahead so long that I think that is the time. Calculate how late you usually are, add an extra five minutes and that's YOUR time.

I have no idea if this will work for anyone else, but it works for me.
Old 03-07-09, 05:00 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,886 Times in 13,057 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I did that clock thing for a long time but it got confusing! but it actually helped to wake up, wondering, now wait - is it actually 6:50, or is it just 6:30....?

the backwards timing is a good idea!

I hate to be late and I also realised, I hate to come in "just on time" but rushed, so I leave earlier now. Some mornings - and it's completely unpredictable - there are papers "....as soon as you arrive, urgent" before I even turn on my computer; if I'm already a wreck from hurrying all morning (I have a long commute), then I'm extra jumpy all day. ugh.

if you time yourself on the weekend: how long does it take to have breakfast (if you have one) and be ready to go? then add on 10 minutes for daydreaming, not being able to find clothes etc ; - and another 10 to count the time you're "ready" and actually "out the door". It helps if you generally know where your clothes are so you can throw an outfit together. I mean if you work in an office...
or my nt mom's solution: on sunday, put together 5 work outfits with matching jewlery
Old 03-07-09, 05:08 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef View Post
I did that clock thing for a long time but it got confusing! but it actually helped to wake up, wondering, now wait - is it actually 6:50, or is it just 6:30....?

the backwards timing is a good idea!

I hate to be late and I also realised, I hate to come in "just on time" but rushed, so I leave earlier now. Some mornings - and it's completely unpredictable - there are papers "....as soon as you arrive, urgent" before I even turn on my computer; if I'm already a wreck from hurrying all morning (I have a long commute), then I'm extra jumpy all day. ugh.

if you time yourself on the weekend: how long does it take to have breakfast (if you have one) and be ready to go? then add on 10 minutes for daydreaming, not being able to find clothes etc ; - and another 10 to count the time you're "ready" and actually "out the door". It helps if you generally know where your clothes are so you can throw an outfit together. I mean if you work in an office...
or my nt mom's solution: on sunday, put together 5 work outfits with matching jewlery

To add to what Stef has said...

I have had jobs where I could stash personal items/clothing, and leave them there all week.

I have actually forgotten to do things like brush my teeth, comb my hair (when I let my hair get that long), bring shoes acceptable for work, etc.

I don't do that too much now-a-days, but if I'm going to be out of the house before going to work, and I'm not sure if I'll be back in time to drop by home.. I'll throw a set of scrubs, and other stuff into my car just incase.

Food-wise... I try to keep easy to fix things (either already prepared, easy to cook in a microwave, or things I can just eat cold or raw), in the house and have a few plastic bags to chuck it all into on my way out the door.

=========
=========

Old 03-07-09, 09:30 AM

paixlune is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginniebean View Post
I'm rarely late, I just set my clock ahead, it's been ahead so long that I think that is the time. Calculate how late you usually are, add an extra five minutes and that's YOUR time.

I have no idea if this will work for anyone else, but it works for me.
Being late to work was my bane also,before trying the clock trick. I would have to set mine 30 minutes ahead though, simply because that was how long it would actually take me to wake up enough to remember "hey, I have to get to work"! To make this work I would have the clock in my car also set a bit ahead so I always had the built in extra time in case of traffic, stops on the way, etc.

Once I started doing this I went from being late on a regular basis (or at least just getting there on time with seconds to spare) to actually being early enough to do all those little minutia things that seem to gobble up your time before you can settle down to actually work.

I hope you find something that works for you!
Old 03-09-09, 02:42 AM
ADDvanced Member

kimmyh51 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby85 View Post
(that's a biggie; for some reason, I always feel compelled to start tidying up before I leave for work).
me too - usually i think its cos im so disorganised and ill be trying to find my keys, myclothes, my lunch (or my lunch my keys and my clothes) and get so frustrated by my mess I start tidying it up.....
The Following User Says Thank You to kimmyh51 For This Useful Post:
Khyliene (12-01-14)
Old 03-23-09, 02:17 AM
ADDvanced Member

lychweake will become famous soon enough

It takes me about 45min to get to work from where I live and I use my commute as an excuse and so I use the 10min "grace period" excuse.

On days where we expect it to be busy the day before I always show up early and when it isnt as crazy I'm always late but luckly there a few other co workers that are always late so it doesnt make me look as bad.

Also if im getting close to making overtime during a workweek then I just make the point that "overtime is stealing money from the company and so I am saving company money for coming in late"

Don't try these excuses at your job unless you're already good at BSing your way out of messing situations like I am

In all honesty though I used to be a lot worse with oversleeping/excessive lateness untill I got this program call Active Alarm Clock in which being that my PC speakers are very loud is the key for that I was never able to hear the alarm while in deep sleep until now.