ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-01-04, 01:17 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

timh has a spectacular aura abouttimh has a spectacular aura about
Question When you were diagnosed did you ...

Presented in the only way a person with ADD can understand =

Bulletpoints!
  • hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible)
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take
  • start therapy
  • get support from your spouse or partner
  • other
Thanks,

Tim H
The Following User Says Thank You to timh For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-01-04, 02:38 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible)..did it

unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD..did it

share your discovery with others, if so with whom.. didn't do this for a long while

start taking medication, if so what did you take.. Ritalin

start therapy.. no

get support from your spouse or partner.. that's a big NO

other ... friends and other family members
The Following User Says Thank You to fasttalkingmom For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-01-04, 02:48 PM

luvmi3kids is on a distinguished road
All of my answers are in red.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkingmom
hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible).. Not really, but very interested in it
unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD..nope
share your discovery with others, if so with whom.. My huaband and a friend who also has ADD and has an ADD daughter
start taking medication, if so what did you take.. Straterra

start therapy.. Nope
get support from your spouse or partner.. Trying to. He keeps saying he's not my father.

other ... I told my little sister, but asked her not to talk about it with my Mother. My Mother just thinks I'm lazy and grasping for straws. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmi3kids For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-04, 12:23 AM
Contributor

broK is on a distinguished road
since my favorite colour was already picked, i put my answers in green
  • hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) yes, still am, still do
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD yes, see answer #1-too much at once
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom wife & immideate superviser. in sharing i also learned of a couple other co-workers who relate.
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take yes, strattera (first)
  • start therapy yes, with my psy.
  • get support from your spouse or partner yes, she is my first line of defence, & the blanket i hide under when the committe (my brain) gets the better of me, now that im dx'ed she understands my quirks a little better.
  • other was made aware of the co-morbid conditions i also have & was given the choice of treating them right off or waiting & seeing.
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-02-04, 12:55 AM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
i'm purple.
  • hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) ] yep, and everything related to ADD.
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD i count this as another way of understanding ADD. it's not the focus that's important for me (good thing too. he eh). it's that eventually, it all comes together. so that what you learn by relating everything back to ADD helps you learn more about ADD and everything related to ADD. relatively speaking.
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom Not many people know. my husband and 3 close friends know. two friends have known since my diagnosis, the other friend i just told a few nights ago. my husband just wants me to figure out what i need to do to feel better. he also wonders when i'll start putting my stuff away.
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take i started wellbutrin first. it didn't help with the ADD but helped with the depression. gotta love co-morbids! i started dexedrine a couple months after the wellbutrin. i'm still taking both.
  • start therapy it was my therapist who loaned me my first book to read on ADD. she wondered if it would resonate...
  • get support from your spouse or partner he's got very good health insurance!
  • other you're right, the bullets got my attention. and i get to play with the text color. bonus!
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-02-04, 01:24 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

casper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nicecasper is just really nice
hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) Totally, I was however only in 7th grade, so I am making up for it now!
unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD. I don't feel as though I did this.
share your discovery with others, if so with whom. My family, and a couple of very close friends. Some past teachers know, but no employers.
start taking medication, if so what did you take I too Ritalin till I graduated HS, well sorta. I kinda wiend myself off of it as hs went on. I was selfmedicated, so I just kinda stopped taking it over time. I would however like to take something now, just to see what the difference would be. I just have not had the courage to go and see someone about it.
start therapy -No but i wish i would have!
get support from your spouse or partner-I have neither one.
If your important people will wait for u!
The Following User Says Thank You to casper For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-02-04, 09:09 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

f_wcomboadhd is on a distinguished road
  • hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) <yes i always am anytime i 'discover something' i read a huge stack of books. unfortunately i promptly did nothing. that was about eight years ago. i'm doing it again now-reading and finding out info that is.not the doing nothing part.(outdated info and all)
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD < i don't get this question for some reason, but i think my answer is no
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take
  • start therapy
  • get support from your spouse or partner < 8 yrs ago. NO. he didn't read anything, was irritated b/c i was a fountain of facts and commentary about it (thats the way i am anytime i'm super interested in a topic. which happens often i saturate in it)
  • other
I wish that I was bullet proof
(Radiohead/The Bends/Bulletproof..I wish I was)
300 mgs. Wellbutrin XL 20mgs. Adderall XR
Old 11-02-04, 09:39 AM

Draga has disabled reputation
start taking medication, if so what did you take....Started Off On Ritalin&
started therapy....fun fun fun

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
The Following User Says Thank You to Draga For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-06-04, 01:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

whiteraven has disabled reputation
  • hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) Yes, books, library books, internet... Anyone know of any good videos?
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD Not unable to focus, but keep assessing mistakes to decide if caused by me or by my ADD. Finally decided that me and my ADD are intertwined and inseperable and to quit worrying about it... I do have to keep reminding myself of this however because I forget.
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom My husband. My son. Two friends who understand being different. Thinking about talking to my family but I think they will not "believe" in ADHD.
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take No.
  • start therapy No. Councillor at Mental health said," What you have is a problem to you, but not to anyone else. We have so many people with so much worse problems that we don't have time to deal with high functioning people like you. What will you do now?" Silly me, I thought THEY"D have some ideas!
  • get support from your spouse or partner Yes. He is understanding. He can be very like me on occasion, but maybe that's proximity!
  • other
The Following User Says Thank You to whiteraven For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-20-09, 01:45 AM

Diane 1986 will become famous soon enough
Re: When you were diagnosed did you ...

Your bulletpoint structure is genius!

• hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible): Yes, definitely. It's been three months now, and I'll still spend hours researching ADHD. My hyperfocus kicks in and I completely lose track of time. (For example, I just looked at the clock and realized I've been reading ADHD info online for three hours now- oops.)
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD: No. I do relate pretty much everything back to ADHD, but it hasn't interfered with my focus. The problem is when it distracts me and I end up researching it for so long- like I did tonight!
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom: my parents, my sister, my boyfriend, my best friend, and an ex-boyfriend I'm still close friends with
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take: Vyvanse
  • start therapy: Yes, and I highly suggest it, especially if you're diagnosed late in life and have spent years thinking that you're just lazy, not good enough, etc. Those feelings don't go away automatically, and it's really important to work through them.
  • get support from your spouse or partner: Sadly, no. He tends to change the subject when I bring it up.
  • other: I have a clean apartment for the first time in my entire life. I got my first A on a major assignment in graduate school (this is my second year). I'm less anxious. I've read an entire page, reached the end, and realized that I know exactly what that page said, and I don't have to go back and read it six more times before just giving up. I've had conversations with my friends where I didn't space out and miss what they said a single time. I've taken notes in class that actually make sense, and aren't just me writing "I'm so bored, why is he still talking, blahhhh." I'm a much better driver. I understand myself better! I've spent a lot of time on these forums, reading other people's stories to know I'm not alone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diane 1986 For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-20-09, 02:28 AM

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,020 Posts
trishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond reputetrishcan has a reputation beyond repute

hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible)
no, i did these before being diagnosed, and during periods where i tried different meds

unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD
no

share your discovery with others, if so with whom
yes- mom, close friends

start taking medication, if so what did you take
yes. started concerta 18mg. that was 6 years ago, so i'm up to 72mg now.

start therapy
no

get support from your spouse or partner
no, didn't have one

other
celebrated the diagnosis because everything suddenly made sense and the medication was a godsend.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishcan For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-20-09, 07:57 AM

Brookeslost will become famous soon enough

• hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) NO I only started hyper-focusing on it really badly when I was wanting to try a new med. I would look here and there but nothing for too long. Books are not an option for me, it takes WAY too long and I have to re read everything to "get" it!
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD Yes I do think I do this now, as I go along my daily routine, I see that I can figure out things so much easier and calmly and I would say "Couldn't do that before!" and become happy with how I was functioning for the first time
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom I have shared this with others I'm not ashamed of being ADHD(my mom and husband at first).....I am however careful who I tell what meds I am on, cause they will ask to have some and I need them daily and they wont understand.
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take Yes I started out on Prozac, that only helped with depression and made me tired, that made me more depressed, then added Wellbutrin XL to it and I still was having too many symptoms to cope with.
  • start therapy I was already in therapy for 3 yrs and had been trying to figure out "life" and how to deal, he helped me change my Dr to one that would prescribe ADHD meds and better at adult ADHD. He had helped me and my husband and would offer ways to communicate and I would become frustrated and say "My mind doesn't work like that." or "As hard as I want to do that if we are in an argument I can not"
  • get support from your spouse or partner Yes he loves me and wants me to be able to cope with daily stresses and has finally gotten(or just pretends) that its not as easy for me as it is for him!
  • other I am so thankful for ADHD meds now. My daughter said Momma you are crazy??(sarcastically) In response to me saying I feel normal now in therapy. My response was "Well before the meds I was crazy with a side of normal and now Im normal with a side of crazy!" lol My 3 yr old son will try and act out a bit more seeing how much I can take and I am surprised I can calmly parent him now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brookeslost For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-20-09, 08:37 AM

Thanked 4,850 Times in 2,101 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

When I was diagnosed I

went into 'diagnosis shock' and went on a hyperfocussed researching rampage to find out as much as I could about ADHD. (now I no longer care).
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-20-09, 12:53 PM
Contributor

ADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of lightADDMagnet is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by timh View Post
Presented in the only way a person with ADD can understand =

Bulletpoints!
  • hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible) Somewhat, but I had already been doing that when my son and daughter had been diagnosed, and later my husband. Read numerous books and articles.
  • unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD Didn't affect my focus but I did review a lot of events in my life with a new perspective.
  • share your discovery with others, if so with whom Yes, my family and friends, and pretty much anyone with whom I was discussing ADHD (because their child had it or they did, etc.)
  • start taking medication, if so what did you take Vyvanse
  • start therapy No, insurance didn't cover mental health
  • get support from your spouse or partner Not much.
  • other Yes, I love bullet points! Someone needs to do an ADHD version of the Bible! I wondered what my life would have been like had I been diagnosed much earlier--I was diagnosed at age 48.
Thanks,

Tim H
I have a passion for educating others about ADHD and correcting the myths. It had already started when my children were diagnosed but my diagnosis only fueled the passion more.
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDMagnet For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)
Old 11-20-09, 04:46 PM

Thanked 1,130 Times in 623 Posts
CircularingCats has a spectacular aura aboutCircularingCats has a spectacular aura about

hyperfocused on the topic of ADD and ADHD (want to find everything out about ADD as quickly as possible)
I did these before being diagnosed, and during periods where I tried different meds.

unable to focus because you would constantly try to relate everything back to ADD
No.

share your discovery with others, if so with whom
My sister, the one who has been diagnosed with ADD.

start taking medication, if so what did you take
Yes, I started Concerta 36mg. Now I'm up to 54 mg., with fast acting Ritalin as needed in the afternoon and evenings.

start therapy
Already was in therapy.

get support from your spouse or partner
Am single.

other
With the diagnosis, everything suddenly made sense and the medication was extremely helpful.

The Following User Says Thank You to CircularingCats For This Useful Post:
escott (04-25-12)