ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-25-18, 11:23 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,948 Times in 707 Posts
Jacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond reputeJacksper has a reputation beyond repute
let's meditate every day and share our experiences and ideas with eachother!

I have just dropped about 100 bucks for a Headspace subscription - which is convenient, but not at all required if you want good guided meditations, there's plenty of them available on the web, share them here if you know good ones. Anyways, as you may have read I am changing a lot of things in my life right now, and since I feel like I am ready for the next step, I have been thinking in the past days what it will be and I have decided that meditation is it.

So, what I will do is do at least one meditation session per day. I am open to trying a lot of different ones. I feel hopeful that I can rewire my brain in this way, who knows what is possible. More focus? Better emotional regulation? Dealing with trauma? Feeling more gratitude? Becoming more loving? Or more confident? Developing willpower? And discipline?

For now I will just do guided meditations with the app, but eventually I will also try (non-guided) quiet meditation (for variation, and to see what that can bring me), and perhaps some group meditation with an instructor (in person), and I may go on a meditation retreat. So, there's plenty of new things to explore, but let's just get started with the guided meditation and make it a habit.

Feel free to go with me on this journey! I will share my experiences in this thread, and I am also curious about yours!

Last edited by Jacksper; 10-25-18 at 11:36 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacksper For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (03-19-19), Daniel1970 (03-19-19)
Old 03-19-19, 04:51 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice
Free Self-Compassion Meditations On-line

Any of us who tend to be too hard on ourselves might find some benefit in the ideas and practice of mindful self-compassion.

Chris Germer is both a scholar who writes on the subject and a meditation leader. His website ChrisGermer.com has about 20 free guided meditations--of varying lengths-- available in both audio and transcript.

Although I don't make time for this as often as I should, I highly recommend sampling these when you are frazzled, discouraged, or just weary.

I also love his book on Mindful Self-Compassion, though, for some reason I tend to cry whenever I read it (even though it's more uplifting than sad).
Old 03-19-19, 05:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

Daniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to beholdDaniel1970 is a splendid one to behold
Re: let's meditate every day and share our experiences and ideas with eachother!

Sounds good to me! As everyone who has read my like 2000 posts lauding the 10% Happier app, I meditate a whole lot too. I heard Headspace is good too; it was recommended to me for my oldest daughter (9).

Anyways, I'll be happy to add to this thread.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Sponsored Links