ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-19, 06:35 AM

Thanked 1,366 Times in 562 Posts
InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute
Lionsmane Mushroom 5 Years Effects and Benefits

In 2014 I read the studies on Lionsmane Mushroom.

The summary was that this mushroom increases both BDNF and Neuroglial growth factor.

This was relevant to me because at the time I had just finished reading the book "The Other Brain."

The theory "the other brain" presents is that intelligence is tied to our Neuroglial cells as Einstein had the same number of brain cells as an average person but he had 7 times the neuroglial cells of the average person.

So I bought a 20:1 Lionsmane extract and I've been taking it almost every day for the last 5 years.

Effects/Benefits have been noticeable. I am ADHD but on the days when I forget to take it I notice it and so that keeps me motivated to keep taking it.

In general, my memory has improved steadily over the years. I can recall dates, names, and numbers from 3 years ago.

I know this because I worked out an entire software system in my head 3 years ago and I am pulling all the ideas from it now.

My recall time is faster as well.

I'm not here to promote anything so I won't recommend a brand.

Your results may vary but I thought I should let you know.
20thcenturyfox (04-01-19), aeon (04-01-19), Little Missy (03-14-19), Lunacie (03-14-19), SashaBV (03-15-19), userguide (03-16-19)
Old 03-15-19, 10:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough
Re: Lionsmane Mushroom 5 Years Effects and Benefits

Sounds good! Maybe I'll try that sometime!
Old 03-15-19, 11:25 PM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 15,890 Times in 7,651 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute

Invitro,
How long did you take it before noticing any benefits?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-19, 01:03 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice20thcenturyfox is just really nice
Re: Lionsmane Mushroom...Sounds Pretty Interesting

I had never heard of this particular mushroom--Hericium erinaceous, also called yamabushıtake--which has apparently been used for culinary and medicinal purposes for centuries. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Like several other Asian mushrooms, this one seems to be attracting some serious scientific attention, and not only for its cognitive effects. Here are links to 2 out of about a dozen papers I found on this fungus:
Dietary Supplementation of Hericium erinaceus Increases Mossy Fiber-CA3 Hippocampal Neurotransmission and Recognition Memory in Wild-Type Mice
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5237458/

Chemistry, Nutrition, and Health-Promoting Properties of Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) Mushroom Fruiting Bodies and Mycelia and Their Bioactive Compounds.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244378
Kind of cute woolly little things, too, aren't they? I'm interested to know they seem to help humans too.

Last edited by namazu; 04-04-19 at 04:30 PM.. Reason: Filter glitch
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 20thcenturyfox For This Useful Post:
InvitroCanibal (04-09-19), userguide (04-02-19)
Old 04-09-19, 10:14 PM

InvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond reputeInvitroCanibal has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhound1 View Post
Invitro,
How long did you take it before noticing any benefits?
A more Accurate Representation of the timeline was December 2014 - Present. So less than 5 Years.

A few days after first taking it in December 2014. Someone asked me a Math-based question because they were trying to figure something out and I used to suck at doing math in my head but I gave the answer very quickly and they said: "Wow, that was fast."

I was surprised by how fast the answer came to mind as well.

I know that I am making it sound amazing and that's not my intention. Your results may vary. I have been reluctant to share mine, but I have been taking it for so long and I've seen a great deal of benefits personally.

I want to be clear though, I still take my ADHD meds and I take Lamotrigine. I found myself going off of Latuda and I have not had depression for sometime since increasing my Lionsmane dosing. I add scoops of it to my Coffee. It's not bad actually. But some people hate the taste.

I believe a 20:1 Extract is superior but it's up to you. I would recommend bulk as the capsules are too expensive. You generally have to take grams to see benefits.

Anyways if you have any other questions let me know. It's the one thing that has been the most effective for me.

Timeline, I found the benefits to be noticeable the first month and it seemed to improve with the amount of Lionsmane taken.

6 months seemed to reduce my depression but I know these are dangerous claims, so please take what I say as subjective but I'd encourage you to research and look into it as an adjunct for ADHD.

Look at other peoples reports, look at the research.

I was really reluctant saying all of this. So I didn't say anything for some time as I know there are a lot of Snakeoil pills and supplements out there.

Costwise, it has been about 20$ a Month but I suspect the amount I consume has been higher than most might need.

Exact amount is 2 Scoops a day in my Coffee, sometimes 4 if I have a second cup. (the scooper comes with it)

Doses have been consistent with no drop-off in benefits and no tolerance. (Not a drug)

I hope this information helps someone and if it does, please post it to this thread. I hope that I am not the only one.

Thanks

Last edited by InvitroCanibal; 04-09-19 at 10:38 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InvitroCanibal For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (04-10-19), userguide (04-10-19)
Old 04-09-19, 10:23 PM

Re: Lionsmane Mushroom...Sounds Pretty Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20thcenturyfox View Post
I had never heard of this particular mushroom--Hericium erinaceous, also called yamabushıtake--which has apparently been used for culinary and medicinal purposes for centuries. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Like several other Asian mushrooms, this one seems to be attracting some serious scientific attention, and not only for its cognitive effects. Here are links to 2 out of about a dozen papers I found on this fungus:
Dietary Supplementation of Hericium erinaceus Increases Mossy Fiber-CA3 Hippocampal Neurotransmission and Recognition Memory in Wild-Type Mice
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5237458/

Chemistry, Nutrition, and Health-Promoting Properties of Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) Mushroom Fruiting Bodies and Mycelia and Their Bioactive Compounds.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26244378
Kind of cute woolly little things, too, aren't they? I'm interested to know they seem to help humans too.
Thanks for posting the research.

Ya, it looks like a Brain weirdly.
20thcenturyfox (04-10-19)