ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Sensory
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-16, 02:57 PM
Contributor

spamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to beholdspamspambacon is a splendid one to behold
Re: Adult ADHD and Sensory Gating disorder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simargl View Post
I can relate. Loud noises and repetitive sounds can set me off and raise my anxiety. I'm one of those people who have a hard time listening to others eat. For some reason I thought this would get better after taking meds...no.

Crackling bags, crunchy food, smacking lips... I'm on edge. I put my headphones in while I work but I really wish there was a way I could control this.

I have this and thought it was just me, until this very moment!
I just looked up Sensory Gating Disorder and came across "Misophonia."

Seems it's not just ADHD, but Autism, Bipolar, schizophrenia, etc., can suffer from these same issues.

"Noise Rage"
I like that phrase
The Following User Says Thank You to spamspambacon For This Useful Post:
Funky1 (04-25-18)
Old 09-05-16, 07:37 PM

anonymous1234 is on a distinguished road

yep im sure i suffer from this. ..this is very relatable. i dont have a formal diagnosis of adhd yet as i have a very complex case but am in the process of trying to get diagnosed . i have noise sensitvity really bad. i feel everything is so overwheming. noise,busy places,textures ,certain smells,people talking {struggling to take information in} feel like im sensitive to all senses. but loud sounds are a big one for me. i seem to have very sensitive hearing also and seem to hear things before everyone else. x
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymous1234 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-05-16)
Old 11-05-16, 09:33 PM

FinallyDxed! is on a distinguished road

I am so confused by this all and I am hoping that my neuropsych eval in the coming month will be able to elucidate this for me.

I definitely have sensory sensitivity/issues (mostly better as I grew older or I adapted).
Clothing was so irritating, mashed potatoes...I could taste every little granule of starch blah! Now I still feel like I have superwoman sensory powers haha. Prefer sunglasses, HATE noise, smell things WAY before others do...gas leak? I'm your gal ;-) But that means a woman wearing sweet perfume makes me want to yack on her (yes ON her hehehe). Need to take the bra off and comfy clothes ASAP. Take off the rings and get the hair up...or down.....or up. I have an exaggerated gag reflex and startle response. And did I mention some noises make me super agitated and irritable? But then some of it also has to do with not being able to tune it out. Or maybe all of it does. I wonder if professionals even understand this yet. Mental health issues are all so closely related in my opinion: Tourette's, OCD, Anxiety, Depression, ADHD, Sensory issues, maybe bipolar and autism. Everything seems to exist on a spectrum 0-10 and maybe a 6+ makes it more difficult to function. Someone without issues would rate it as 0. I feel like I am between a 4-8 for many of these things. Nothing super-severe, but several different (or overlapping) issues bad enough to be f****** annoying! There's my tired and overwhelmed rant! Hope it makes some sense.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FinallyDxed! For This Useful Post:
Little Missy (11-05-16), stef (11-06-16)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-18, 01:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,998 Times in 2,804 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

It's common.
In my own experience it is intermittent- if I have not enough sleep, or am stressed it is much worse- so I can't go into a noisy public space. I can't even stay in a cafe as the fridge is too noisy.
I think most people will get a little of it if they are overtired.
It is a different type of diagnostic category to the DSM syndromes- it lies much closer to the real brain anatomy and physiology than the behaviourally defined syndromes- so can overlap many of them.
Since I have been aware of it I have been able to work with it more effectively and keep myself on an even keel where it happens much less.

I regard consciousness as fundamental. I regard matter as derivative from consciousness. We cannot get behind consciousness. Everything that we talk about, everything that we regard as existing, postulates consciousness.

both by:
Max Planck: Nobel Prize 1918 for inventing quantum physics.

Old 04-25-18, 08:56 AM
Contributor

Funky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the roughFunky1 is a jewel in the rough

I've always described it as being overly distracted by background noise. It's not that I can't hear certain things, but when there is enough background clutter (or the right kind of noise) it drives me absolutely bonkers and I lose all ability to maintain any sort of focus. Rooms filled with people talking loudly, outside noise when I'm inside trying to do homework or tbe equivalent, and while I don't have any actual issues with any of them, the sound of the neighborhood kids playing outside is like nails on a gigantic chalkboard most times. Never would have thought to associate any of this with my ADD, until now that is. Curiouser and curiouser...

Honestly, the more I learn lately, the more I'm certain I'm on the spectrum somewhere. Talk about blowing my mind, finding out at 40 that I may have grown up mildly autistic without knowing? Crazy...
Lunacie (04-25-18)