ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > Forums Help, Q&A
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-18, 10:21 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,172 Times in 884 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Should I be giving untrained medication advice on line?

Note this is not an anti medication thread.

I’ve been a member here for about 9 years, and on occasion I have discussed my medication use with other members online looking for insight into their own medication use, or possibly taking medication in the future, etc.

And I wonder sometimes, given the large amount of medical conditions/symptoms that mimic AD(H)D, if I should be giving medication advice online especially when I am not professionally trained to do so?

Should people looking for medication advice online be consulting their doctors?

Thoughts appreciated.

M
namazu (03-03-18)
Old 03-02-18, 10:22 PM

Thanked 11,227 Times in 5,483 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Should I be giving untrained medication advice on line?

personal opinion and experience with this or that medication is fne
Lunacie (03-03-18), mildadhd (03-02-18), namazu (03-03-18)
Old 03-02-18, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
Thanks for your thoughts.

How do I know if I am recommending the right medication advice for someone else?

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-02-18 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Recommending
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-18, 10:44 PM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,435 Times in 7,190 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
I agree.

I also try to make sure they're well aware that it's just my opinion or my experiences though and try to suggest seeking a qualified person's advice if they can.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-03-18), Lunacie (03-03-18), mildadhd (03-02-18)
Old 03-02-18, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhamaniasad
I am 15 years old, and two months ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder.
My psychiatrist suggested Atomoxetine 25 MG once a day for me, and I looked up online, my weight is 62kgs, and according to that, the dosage should be 74.4 mg per day, but as I am an adolescent, it would be 80 mg daily.
Also, he suggested me to have piracetam 5 ML twice daily.
I stopped taking the medication a few weeks back, I dont remember why.
Can anyone suggest any medication for me? What should I take?
Also, today, I took a atomoxetine capsule, after a few weeks, and within 10 minutes of taking it, I noticed behavioral changes, like, I turned irritable, depressed and kind of angry.
So any suggestions?
I don't think it's right for me or anyone on here to suggest medications for you. Go back to your doctor, and ask the questions there instead of here.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...89&postcount=3
I just found this post in the similar threads section below.

And I think I agree with the Dvdnvls response, in bold?

So as long as we do not suggest medications?

Because I have suggested others taking medication that I take and I do not think I am right to do so?

M
Old 03-02-18, 11:10 PM

Are there any forum guidelines on what is appropriate and what is not?

M
Old 03-02-18, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Legal/Medical Disclaimer
The advice offered in the ADD Forums, is for informational and support purposes only. This advice is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.

Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read in this forum, or on any related web site! Advice given on this forum is the opinion of the individual posting it, and not necessarily the opinion of ADD Forums.
I guess it is the legal/medical disclaimer that allows us the freedom to discuss online about medication or any other type of medical advice, personal opinion, experiences, treatment, etc...?

M
Greyhound1 (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 12:19 AM

Thanked 25,575 Times in 11,916 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen members answer questions to the best of their ability, and share
personal experiences.

Most generally don't try to give medical advice, and when they do, someone
generally calls them out on it pretty quickly.

Well some do give advice ... they say "See a doctor asap."

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-03-18), mildadhd (03-03-18), namazu (03-03-18), psychopathetic (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 12:43 AM

After thinking about it.

I think overall, in general, the legal disclaimer has allowed me to express my personal experiences, opinion and prefered researchers/units of measurement, very well, when my experiences have not always exactly matched other members personal experiences, opinion, and prefered researchers/units of measurement here at ADDForums.

And I am very thankful to the creators of ADDForums for the opportunity.

M

Last edited by mildadhd; 03-03-18 at 12:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to mildadhd For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (03-03-18)
Old 03-03-18, 07:52 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,648 Times in 14,609 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are all allowed to give advice about whatever we want. As long as we do not imply we are doctors.

I carried a watermelon?