ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 03-29-13, 09:22 AM

dhamaniasad is on a distinguished road
Medication advice needed

I am 15 years old, and two months ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder.
My psychiatrist suggested Atomoxetine 25 MG once a day for me, and I looked up online, my weight is 62kgs, and according to that, the dosage should be 74.4 mg per day, but as I am an adolescent, it would be 80 mg daily.
Also, he suggested me to have piracetam 5 ML twice daily.
I stopped taking the medication a few weeks back, I dont remember why.
Can anyone suggest any medication for me? What should I take?
Also, today, I took a atomoxetine capsule, after a few weeks, and within 10 minutes of taking it, I noticed behavioral changes, like, I turned irritable, depressed and kind of angry.
So any suggestions?
Old 03-29-13, 04:29 PM

curxxx is on a distinguished road
Re: Medication advice needed

I would go with a stimulant medication, ie. Methylphenidate (Ritalin, Concerta) first and see how that works; if you don't get optimal response from that then you can go to the Amphetamine family of meds (Adderall, Vyvanse, Dex).

Rx: Vyvanse 50mg, then 20mg at lunch, Cipralex 20mg @ pm

Previous Rx': Ritalin (10, 20mg), Concerta (27, 54, and 72mg), Strattera (40, 60mg), Seroquel IR (25mg), Seroquel XR (50mg)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
concerta is hardcore? Thats like saying advil is a gateway drug.
Old 03-29-13, 04:58 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhamaniasad View Post
I am 15 years old, and two months ago, I was diagnosed with ADHD and Bipolar disorder.
My psychiatrist suggested Atomoxetine 25 MG once a day for me, and I looked up online, my weight is 62kgs, and according to that, the dosage should be 74.4 mg per day, but as I am an adolescent, it would be 80 mg daily.
Also, today, I took a atomoxetine capsule, after a few weeks, and within 10 minutes of taking it, I noticed behavioral changes, like, I turned irritable, depressed and kind of angry.
So any suggestions?
I don't think it's right for me or anyone on here to suggest medications for you. Go back to your doctor, and ask the questions there instead of here.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-13, 05:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,573 Times in 11,914 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
So any suggestions?
Here in the States, doctors start with a low dose and slowly titrate
upwards as long as there aren't too many unwanted side effects. Meds for
ADHD are not really weight-based. Chemical imbalances are different from
person to person, some need a very low dose, some need a very high dose,
it's a process of trying doses until you find what works best for YOU.

Did you return to the doctor at least monthly, and did he suggest raising
the dose?

A stimulant med (as suggested by another poster) is usually NOT a good
idea for someone with Bipolar disorder.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
saturday (03-29-13)
Old 03-29-13, 11:39 PM

dhamaniasad is on a distinguished road

I did not go back to the doctor, didn't have the time to.
I will go back to him in a few days, he had asked me to come.
What problem does stimulant medicine cause to people with bipolar?
Old 03-30-13, 12:49 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I did not go back to the doctor, didn't have the time to.
I will go back to him in a few days, he had asked me to come.
What problem does stimulant medicine cause to people with bipolar?
Can push bipolar people into a bad mania.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-30-13)