ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-19, 02:49 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,284 Times in 2,200 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Feel i'm not creative as others of my level of intelligence

Don't get me wrong daveddd, I still strongly believe that ADHDers are more creative on average. I also still think most research supports this. I also agree with what you were saying about EF and creativity. I was just backing away from saying it's absolutely proven already.

Lunacie, I felt that article you linked was written by someone with a clear bias. There was only one exact quote from Barkley in that article (the quote at the top) and I'm not 100% sure it wasn't taken out of context (i.e. not speaking specifically on creativity but maybe just responding to that argument of adhd being a "gift"). Though it doesn't even matter to me what Barkley believes tbh. I wouldn't go by the word of just one expert, especially Barkley who the first video I saw of him speaking, he was already saying something that I disagreed with.
Old 02-26-19, 10:58 AM

Thanked 27,472 Times in 12,791 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc01 View Post
Don't get me wrong daveddd, I still strongly believe that ADHDers are more creative on average. I also still think most research supports this. I also agree with what you were saying about EF and creativity. I was just backing away from saying it's absolutely proven already.

Lunacie, I felt that article you linked was written by someone with a clear bias. There was only one exact quote from Barkley in that article (the quote at the top) and I'm not 100% sure it wasn't taken out of context (i.e. not speaking specifically on creativity but maybe just responding to that argument of adhd being a "gift"). Though it doesn't even matter to me what Barkley believes tbh. I wouldn't go by the word of just one expert, especially Barkley who the first video I saw of him speaking, he was already saying something that I disagreed with.
You are allowed your opinion of Russell Barkley's expertise. You feel he has a
bias, I'm curious to know what you feel that bias is all about?

I'll just say that Barkley seems to be highly respected by others in his field.
As I've already pointed out, he doesn't present his personal opinions.
He researches all the studies that have been done and shares his findings.

Going back to the OP ... I'm not sure how one would compare intelligence and
creativity levels from one person to another ... or whether creativity has any
connection to intelligence in the first place.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-26-19, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
You are allowed your opinion of Russell Barkley's expertise. You feel he has a
bias, I'm curious to know what you feel that bias is all about?
No I don't think Barkley has a bias. I just don't like him though I still consider him an expert and if he was part of a majority of experts that believed something I would seriously consider his comments. I just wouldn't take one experts opinion alone, need more to even consider something regardless of how much I like or dislike someone. "Experts" seem to have so many different opinions sometimes.

I was talking about the person who wrote the article you linked that had a clear bias - Gina something I think.

Boy, I think I'm babbling way too much. Sorry I feel like ive been sounding confusing in my writing a lot recently. Brains fuzzy, cats been keeping me up at night.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
tudorose (02-28-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-19, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I wonder if it's only those with adhd alone that are more creative?

When you add in other issues like ASD, bipolar, anxiety, etc, does that interfere
with the creative gene?
I read the same thing about bipolar contributing to creativity.

But I can imagine something like depression would make you not try as hard to think of something creative. Though I'm not sure if this means you are innately less creative as depression is something that can go away. Not sure on your comment. Interesting thought though.

From people on this forum, I think self-esteem can affect whether a person recognizes they are creative or not. I suspect a lot of people here are more creative than they realize based on some stories they've told which suggest they might be creative.

Maybe the op too, though that I have no idea since I haven't seen that much from the op.
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
namazu (02-26-19)
Old 02-26-19, 03:04 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No I don't think Barkley has a bias. I just don't like him though I still consider him an expert and if he was part of a majority of experts that believed something I would seriously consider his comments. I just wouldn't take one experts opinion alone, need more to even consider something regardless of how much I like or dislike someone. "Experts" seem to have so many different opinions sometimes.

I was talking about the person who wrote the article you linked that had a clear bias - Gina something I think.

Boy, I think I'm babbling way too much. Sorry I feel like ive been sounding confusing in my writing a lot recently. Brains fuzzy, cats been keeping me up at night.
Sorry I misunderstood which person you were referring to: Gina Pera or Doctor
Russell Barkley.

Actually, the bulk of the article I posted above was a copy of Dr. Barkley's
response to the article in Scientific American. Maybe that wasn't made clear
by Gina Pera either. I looked up the article and comments to be sure:
https://blogs.scientificamerican.com...gifts-of-adhd/

So if you thought the person who wrote the bulk of what Gina Pera posted in
my link has a bias, you do think Dr. Barkley has a bias, since he wrote it and
she simply quoted him.

It is my understanding that Dr. Barkley does not write or speak about his
opinion, he reviews many different opinions and a whole lot of research by
different people and tries to explain what the majority of them have concluded.
I could be wrong of course. It's happened once or twice.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-28-19, 03:08 AM

Thanked 11,419 Times in 5,573 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I didn't say anything was absolutely proven, not even close

I think if absolutes were spoken in this thread its the other side

theres a lot of different views on mental illness

the new thing is every mental illness group claims to super empaths and have some super human empath despite usually being a complete lack of perspevtive taking in every thread
Old 03-01-19, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
I was referring to what I said, not you in that comment. I didn't say everything was absolutely proven but I did say it was as close as it gets to 100% proven as science can get and couldn't see how anyone can deny that(not those words exactly words but something like that ). Just stepping back from those strong words.

Was never a comment on your comments. Sorry, guess I wasn't clear.
Old 03-01-19, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post

I think if absolutes were spoken in this thread its the other side

theres a lot of different views on mental illness

the new thing is every mental illness group claims to super empaths and have some super human empath despite usually being a complete lack of perspevtive taking in every thread
I struggle with being an empath. Taking personal perspective isn't built into
being an empath. Mentally I understand that what others are feeling isn't the
same as what I'm feeling, but the feelings can swamp me so I can't sort them
out. I learned when I'm feeling that way to stop for a moment and try to
consciously sort them out, reminding myself which feelings are mine and which
are not mine. Getting better at doing that, but still can get swamped.

Old 03-01-19, 11:55 AM

Quote:
I struggle with being an empath. Taking personal perspective isn't built into
being an empath. Mentally I understand that what others are feeling isn't the
same as what I'm feeling, but the feelings can swamp me so I can't sort them
out. I learned when I'm feeling that way to stop for a moment and try to
consciously sort them out, reminding myself which feelings are mine and which
are not mine. Getting better at doing that, but still can get swamped.
I don't know about ADHD but I can see how a lot of people with mental illnesses can be more empathetic. I don't know if it's the chicken or the egg though.

I can see empathetic people being prone to anxiety and depression because their empathy makes them feel all the suffering in the world/people more and the wrongness of things. Note, this is all my own speculation. Have no clue if it's true or not.