ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 10-17-18, 11:54 AM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough
Question regarding ADHD with meds

Hello All,

I had asked a bunch of questions about choosing a med, etc. The update is we started her on Focalin XR about 2 weeks ago. The first few days I felt we saw some subtle or slight progress in terms of the mouth--not being so impulsive with words, especially under difficult situations. In terms of focus at home or homework for example--nothing is leaping out at me. In fact, overall I don't know if this is doing much good in terms of being in a med. Maybe a little bit...

My question is this---Are you supposed to see drastic improvements with the meds and if not we are not on the right one?? I don't know if I am expecting too much? And for example, the PED suggested Concerta whereas the Nuero (epilepsy)suggested Focalin....6 in one dozen type of thing they said. So since they are similar drugs...and if we decide focal is not working...does it mean that Concerta may even though so similar?

Thanks..I just don't know how long to 'see' if this works and what a proper expectation is..

Thank you!
Old 10-17-18, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,996 Times in 12,129 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Question regarding ADHD with meds

It's a slow process, trying a low dose at first to make sure there are no awful
side effects, and then raising the dose bit by bit.

So a small improvement with no side effects is a good thing. Just let the doctor
know and ask when to increase the dose to see if that helps even more.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-17-18, 07:57 PM

Thanks...Well, I thought I had read 'you know' after the first few days if it will work (or not). I actually do not want to increase her dose at all, on any medicine. I would prefer the best outcome at the lowest dose. It's the XR version. I am still getting a lot of arguments overall. Part of me keeps tugging at the Pediatrician telling me she 'likes concerta for teenage girls'. So part of me feels like jumping ship since I know she can tolerate this one...lol...Guess I am looking for quick results!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-18, 08:30 PM

Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

My granddaughter started on Concerta at age 10 or 11.

Same results, first thing we saw was that she wasn't so quick to argue or
mouth off as before.

We did agree to raise her dose, and that helped more overall.

But at least for her within a couple of years the duration had reduced until
it didn't even last a full 7 hours, by last class of the day she was struggling.

I'm sorry, but it really is a slow process for most people, most of the time.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 10-18-18, 07:23 AM
Forum Guru

Caco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud ofCaco3girl has much to be proud of

So many things to address in this post.

First, let me say that i agree that no side effects, or worsening condition is a great thing!

Secondly, let me also say that this whole you don't want to increase her dose at all....well I'd like you to reconsider that. Imagine you had a leg that didn't work. Yes, a cain could get you around, crutches could get you around faster, a wheelchair would be better, and a new prosthetic leg would be the best! Do you really want to leave your kid with a cane when they could be in a new prosthetic leg? I'm serious, that is the difference. By not reaching the optimum dose you are crippling your kid.

No, the results are not immediate, and they are not like flipping a switch. There will be less of over the top stuff, but it will still be there. That is who your kid is. The meds are only supposed to take those things and turn them into background noise, and not be the main event, but those things will never be 100% muted.

My son has tried Vyvanse, it made him an angry rebellious teenager, that was stopped after 3 days. Concerta worked very well, but only at the highest dose so the dr wanted to try something different. Adderall was working well, until he heard imaginary people and wound up in the hospital with a full blown panic attack. Focalin made his stomach and head hurt very badly, we only kept him on that for a week. be grateful you found something that works half way decent on your first shot.
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-18-18)
Old 10-18-18, 08:02 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,442 Times in 15,032 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing I thought of was the release mechanism. Concerta works with the "osmotic pump idea"
Quote:
Osmotic-controlled release oral delivery system
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigationJump to search

A 54mg tablet of Concerta, which uses OROS technology. 22% of the drug is contained in the red overcoat, while the remaining 78% is split between two drug layers of differing concentration. The tablet uses an additional push layer that expands as water enters the tablet via the osmotic membrane. The drug is expelled via the laser-drilled hole visible on the left side of the tablet.
The osmotic-controlled release oral delivery system (OROS) is an advanced controlled release oral drug delivery system in the form of a rigid tablet with a semi-permeable outer membrane and one or more small laser drilled holes in it. As the tablet passes through the body, water is absorbed through the semipermeable membrane via osmosis, and the resulting osmotic pressure is used to push the active drug through the opening(s) in the tablet. OROS is a trademarked name owned by ALZA Corporation, which pioneered the use of osmotic pumps for oral drug delivery.[1][2][3]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osmoti...elivery_system)
This affects the delivery system of the medication. So even though focalin and concerta have the same basic methylphenidate type of medication, the way its released can affect how well it works.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (10-18-18)
Old 10-19-18, 12:12 AM

Yes I know I kind of sounded odd by saying 'least dose' but I have my reasons. She is already on 2 other seizures meds. I don't want to affect that, so I am trying to get the best result with the lowest dose of drug possible, and least side effects, whatever that may be.. Not to mention her liver

I am still going to watch her--I am not sure. At times I see an ever so slight thinking before she acts. SLIGHT. With me, I get the motor mouth and back talk. I also get windows of her being even more hyper or inattentive. I was trying to figure out because she took SO LONG to do some studying she had to do. This was one of the reasons I finally gave in to meds to start with.
Old 10-19-18, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandeluca View Post
Yes I know I kind of sounded odd by saying 'least dose' but I have my reasons. She is already on 2 other seizures meds. I don't want to affect that, so I am trying to get the best result with the lowest dose of drug possible, and least side effects, whatever that may be.. Not to mention her liver

I am still going to watch her--I am not sure. At times I see an ever so slight thinking before she acts. SLIGHT. With me, I get the motor mouth and back talk. I also get windows of her being even more hyper or inattentive. I was trying to figure out because she took SO LONG to do some studying she had to do. This was one of the reasons I finally gave in to meds to start with.
Just wondering, how old is your daughter?

These kids, especially girls, try so hard to behave at school that they've used
up all their energy, all their patience, by the time they get home.

At home it's safer (usually) to just let go and not try so hard for a little while.
It can be helpful to give them a snack and some time to just chill before asking
them to do chores or homework.

So the teacher may be seeing more of an improvement than you are.

Old 10-19-18, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caco3girl View Post
No, the results are not immediate, and they are not like flipping a switch. There will be less of over the top stuff, but it will still be there. That is who your kid is. The meds are only supposed to take those things and turn them into background noise, and not be the main event, but those things will never be 100% muted.
Therapeutic results (if they exist) will show themselves immediately, but I do agree that it's not always like flipping a switch. Sometimes, a moderate improvement can be considered a success.