ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-13, 05:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

emily848 has a spectacular aura aboutemily848 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpB View Post
just an FYI... melatonin (sublingual form) has worked wonderfully for my insomnia.
I agree, the pills don't work for me, but in sublingual form it is very effective.

Main Line of Treatment: Daily Meditation (averaging 36 minutes/day)

Secondary Treatment: 5-HTP (50mg daily)

Other Daily Supplements: omega-3, magnesium, B-complex, multi-vitamin, calcium, vitamin C, cinnamon

As Needed: GABA, Valerian Root Extract, DLPA, Melatonin
Old 04-05-13, 05:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,378 Times in 12,312 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I've been scouring the website for Nurture & Clarity and I can't find a list of
ingredients anywhere. Pryncess, can you tell us what is in that formula?

I would never take something myself, or give my grandkids something if I
didn't know exactly what was in it.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-07-13, 10:17 AM

proileri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emily848 View Post
I agree, the pills don't work for me, but in sublingual form it is very effective.
I've been taking 3 mg in pill form and I do feel a relaxing effect around 30-60 minutes after taking it, but I often wake up about 2 hours after taking the pill.

I've also had 6-8 mg extended release melatonin to try, but unfortunately the pill has very strong bitter taste, which washes back to your mouth in case of any acid reflux.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-13, 09:20 AM
Jr Member

Pryncess2010 is on a distinguished road

Lunacie,
Try googling "Tree of Healing" it is called Nurture & Clarity-H.
I am not sure if i can post the website on here but if you google it as well, LynneC has tried it and posted a review under Diagnosis and treatment on this forum. Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pryncess2010 For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (04-11-13)
Old 04-11-13, 09:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,378 Times in 12,312 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryncess2010 View Post
Lunacie,
Try googling "Tree of Healing" it is called Nurture & Clarity-H.
I am not sure if i can post the website on here but if you google it as well, LynneC has tried it and posted a review under Diagnosis and treatment on this forum. Hope this helps.
When I googled "Tree of Healing" I go a website from a clairvoyant who
practices Reiki. Okay, so do I.

When I googled "Nurture and Clarity-H" I got the website you recommend
called Tree of Healing. But I have looked at everything on that site and I
cannot find a list of ingredients.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-11-13, 09:54 AM
Jr Member

On omega 3's, has anyone tried or heard of Igennus Vegepa E-EPA70?
It has EPA plus GLA in it. Also i believe primrose oil.
Old 04-11-13, 01:24 PM
Jr Member

Lunacie,
I hope it is ok to post this link within this forum. I believe they explain the ingredients here. Let me know what you think.
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...urture+clarity
Old 04-11-13, 01:47 PM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,415 Times in 6,122 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

When using more than one product it is good to double check ingredients to make sure you are not inadvertently doubling up on vitamins and minerals as too much can be as harmful as too little

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (04-11-13), namazu (04-11-13)
Old 02-07-14, 05:50 PM
Banned

TyBo_BA is on a distinguished road

Being clinically diagnosed with Depression, Anxiety, ADHD and Bipolar 1 has been hell. I have taken every prescription med and combination on the market. Most did not work. The ones that worked put me in a daze, had no feelings, just straight up zombie mode. I've lost friends and family by pushing them away or they not understanding what I am going through. You know the people that say "Oh just suck it up" have no clue. But I found something that really changed my life, and if you are interested in changing your life please message me back.
Old 02-07-14, 10:05 PM

Thanked 10,219 Times in 3,215 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

For the record,

I STILL stand by that original statment. Rather than "kill the messenger," take it up with

The American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
The American Academy of Family Physicians
The American Academy of Pediatrics
Center For Disease Control
National Clearing House For Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities (CDC)
National Institute of Health
National Institute of Mental Health
US Surgeon Generals Report On Mental Health (Chapter Three - Disorders of Infancy,
Childhood and Adolescence).

ALL of which support that statement.

I'm Robert, Deal With It.
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (02-08-14)
Old 09-14-16, 02:59 AM

AlaskaRon is on a distinguished road

It is now over 2 years after the last post.
Have you seen studies on the following, that, according to Dr. Amen and several other reputable docs, show benefit to ADD:

1) Magtein -- Magnesium L-threonate, that activates part of the frontal cortex that relies on Mg for neural synapse health

2) GABA, L-Tyrosine, Phosphatidylserine -- all reco'd by Amen and others for ADD improvement, suppressing constant neural activity and impulsiveness -- reinforced (though possibly not double blind, peer reviewed) for 20+ years of clinical and published studies.
Old 09-14-16, 04:21 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,822 Times in 15,212 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaRon View Post
It is now over 2 years after the last post.
Have you seen studies on the following, that, according to Dr. Amen and several other reputable docs, show benefit to ADD:

1) Magtein -- Magnesium L-threonate, that activates part of the frontal cortex that relies on Mg for neural synapse health

2) GABA, L-Tyrosine, Phosphatidylserine -- all reco'd by Amen and others for ADD improvement, suppressing constant neural activity and impulsiveness -- reinforced (though possibly not double blind, peer reviewed) for 20+ years of clinical and published studies.
WHat are the sources for these claims?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-13-17, 02:21 PM

Rockafella83 is on a distinguished road

For those who need sources... A great article. Don't get fooled, they are, to my opinion, a complementory approach or a Mutli-Modal approach but for most of us, they are no miracles.

I'm not trying to say they don't work, all I want to point is ADHD is pretty complex and is closely related to every one of us in all our individual complexity. That said, the way you want to manage your symptoms is a personal approach which is, to me, a "legitime defense" so I won't argue that anyone should or should not take that in consideration..

Natural Product-Derived Treatments for Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder: Safety, Efficacy, and Therapeutic Potential of Combination Therapy

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4757677/

Last edited by Rockafella83; 01-13-17 at 02:22 PM.. Reason: I wanted to
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockafella83 For This Useful Post:
20thcenturyfox (02-18-17), Lunacie (01-13-17)
Old 02-15-17, 06:55 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
If Supplements Can Improve Cognitive Performance in Healthy People...

why are we so sure there is "no benefit" for those with ADHD, depression, etc?

Not really wanting to be a poster girl for supplements (and I realize "research" can often point in different directions until the key processes and interactions are pinned down), but I said I would post a line of research showing fairly modest amounts of ordinary supplements had measurable cognitive effects in healthy people, so here it is.

Kennedy et al 2010 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2885294/ found small but significant performance improvements in the supplemented group
White et al, 2016 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5133263/
using fMRI found observable changes in functional brain activity after supplementation, though these were not clearly reflected in corresponding changes in performance (however neither tasks nor sample size were designed to detect small changes in performance)
[plus I recall seeing a study from UK along these lines by somebody named Green that I just can't find at the moment]

Of course both studies leave open the question whether the results reflected suboptimal nutritional status in the study population rather than the value of higher-than-recommended intakes for cognitive tasks. But as long as the supplemented group and the control group were adequately matched and randomly assigned, the improvements in the supplemented group suggest at least making sure you are getting more than the recommended dietary intake of (at least) the common B & C vitamins used in these studies.

Finally I just have to mention one more study supporting supplements--this time for ADHD--that veers into the realm of weirdness by apparently using good RCT methods to study what must be Canada's most controversial supplement, Empower Plus, by Truehope: Rucklidge et all, 2014 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24482441

However of the 36 nutrients (I couldn't find a complete list of ingredients, though it reportedly includes 14 vitamins, 16 minerals, 3 amino acids, and 3 antioxidants) in the product, the study monitored blood concentrations of only 9. Of those, the only ones for which the differences between the test and control groups were statistically significant were B6, B12 and Vitamin D (not that any symptom reduction had to come only from the 9).

Between the potential for individual genetic and epigenetic differences now discoverable from gene research and the functional and metabolic data now available from the neuroimaging technologies (such as PET, SPECT, and fMRI), it seems possible that some of the controversy and conflicting data in our understanding of nutrition, drug therapies, and sympton clusters will start to yield some useful treatment guidelines.
Old 02-18-17, 06:33 PM
Contributor

20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough20thcenturyfox is a jewel in the rough
Traditional Oriental Herbal Medicines

Oops, wrong thread....