ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 01-04-19, 11:35 PM

Shane72 is on a distinguished road
Med titration ?

I started 18mg of Concerta back in October. I experienced the usual intitial euphoric honeymoon period for about 3 days. I have noticed slight improvement but am no where close to where I need to be. I did have a three week break on my meds thinking I was having an issue with the med but it turned out to be a supplement I was taking. I have been back on the Concerta for while now since then with now problems, but I am still struggling. My doc seems reluctant to increase my dosage to even 27mg. Is it normal to take such a slow approach in titrating up the dosage for adults? My daughter just started meds about 4 weeks ago and her doc has already increased her dosage twice. My wife Is starting to think he’s milking me for office visits at $125 a pop.

Thanks
Old 01-05-19, 03:40 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all
Re: Med titration ?

I don't think that slow approach in titrating up is an usual approach, you are an adult.
Your doctor should already have increased dose to 36 mg at least
This is my own opinion
When i was diagnosed first time, i begin taking concerta 36mg, we didnt try 27-18 etc. even
After that , i built tolerance in time , dose was increased to 54
and added 2 booster ritalin 10mg in addition to concerta, 10mg ritalin+10mg ritalin
Old 01-05-19, 05:55 AM
Committee Member

Emre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to allEmre22 is a name known to all

By the way i forgot to ask you your height and weight
These are also important factors when it comes to find correct dose of medicine.

For example, when i began taking concerta , my doctor prescribed me 36 but 54 was optimal dose for my age and weight/height
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-19, 07:08 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,822 Times in 15,212 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emre22 View Post
By the way i forgot to ask you your height and weight
These are also important factors when it comes to find correct dose of medicine.

For example, when i began taking concerta , my doctor prescribed me 36 but 54 was optimal dose for my age and weight/height
actually, stimulants are not dosed by height and weight.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Emre22 (01-05-19), Lunacie (01-05-19)
Old 01-05-19, 11:22 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,378 Times in 12,312 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane72 View Post
I started 18mg of Concerta back in October. I experienced the usual intitial euphoric honeymoon period for about 3 days. I have noticed slight improvement but am no where close to where I need to be. I did have a three week break on my meds thinking I was having an issue with the med but it turned out to be a supplement I was taking. I have been back on the Concerta for while now since then with now problems, but I am still struggling. My doc seems reluctant to increase my dosage to even 27mg. Is it normal to take such a slow approach in titrating up the dosage for adults? My daughter just started meds about 4 weeks ago and her doc has already increased her dosage twice. My wife Is starting to think he’s milking me for office visits at $125 a pop.

Thanks
Was your concern about side effects something you discussed with your doctor?
Did you let him/her know that the problem was actually a supplement?

If so, then I agree that you could try the next higher dose. Some doctors are
more reluctant to prescribe stimulants to adults because very little research or
testing has been done on adults, it's all been the kids.

Explain to the doctor that the meds have been somewhat helpful and you would
really like to see if a small increase could be more helpful.

And Sarah is right, stimulant meds are not weight/height based. It seems to
have more to do with how well our brains process dopamine and enable the
transmitters to carry information so that's very individual.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
sarahsweets (01-06-19)
Old 01-05-19, 03:53 PM

Shane72 is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for your replies. My doc and I have already discussed the side effects and determined they were in fact from the supplements I was taking. I have requested an increase in meds but he doesn’t want too at the moment. I see him again in 3 weeks and if he still wants to keep me at 18mg even though it isn’t enough it may be time to look else where.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shane72 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (01-05-19)