ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 07-17-18, 04:06 PM

sunkiss is on a distinguished road
Texas Medical Board License : should I disclose ADHD?

Hello, I am hoping for advice/experience on how to answer a few of these questions from the "Mental Health" section of the Texas Medical Board license application. I just finished a two year program to become a medical professional, I do have ADHD, and I take prescription medication to help. Searching the Internet led me to a bunch of horror stories and people asking about other conditions...I can't seem to find an answer for ADHD!

Question 9 : Within the past five (5) years, have you been diagnosed with or treated for any: psychotic disorder, delusional disorder, mood disorder, major depression, personality disorder, or any other mental condition which impaired or does impair your behavior, judgment, or ability to function in school or work?

Question 10 : Within the past five (5) years, have you had or do you currently have any physical or neurological condition, including any disease or condition generally regarded as chronic which impaired or does impair your behavior, judgment, or ability to function in school or work?

Question 11 : If you answered "Yes" to questions 9 or 10, are the limitations caused by your mental condition or substance abuse/dependency problem reduced or ameliorated because you receive ongoing treatment (with or without medication) or because you participate in a monitoring program?

I could honestly say I'm not impaired, but would that be because I receive treatment in the form of my ADHD medications? Probably not, but they have sure made things a lot easier!!! If I do not disclose, is this something they can likely find out about? I don't have any leave of absences since I began this particular course in school, I haven't received any additional accommodations through my school for it, and there have been no issues with professors or getting work done/grades. Surely they can't just obtain my medical records from my health care provider or insurance company....right?

TL;DR : I've been taking my Adderall while in school, and medical licensing board is quite nosey. Do they need to know, or is that just shooting myself in the foot? Are they even asking about this condition/treatment?
Old 07-17-18, 05:23 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Texas Medical Board License : should I disclose ADHD?

I'm not a legal or medical expert, but it seems like they're just trying to verify that you're competent to practice. There are tons of medical professionals who have physical and/or psych conditions, and they are allowed to practice as long as they have their conditions under control.

Your situation would be similar to a diabetic who takes daily insulin shots.
Old 07-17-18, 05:23 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

I'm curious about this as well, I am getting ready to start training for my CNA license within the next couple of weeks, with every intention of pursuing a bachelor's in nursing after. I'll be following this thread closely.
Old 07-18-18, 06:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,609 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I wrote a long post then hit the wrong button and lost it!

I wouldn't disclose since it's too risky. I am an RN and didn't disclose to the Board of Nursing or employers. I did tell the two different labs that my two different employers used to drug test prospective employees. I didn't want the urine test to show anything that I hadn't written down and showed prescription bottles for. I like to think that state medical/nursing boards and health care employers won't violate HIPAA. I hope I am right.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.