ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-08, 02:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,635 Times in 884 Posts
FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of
Re: non-drug treatment success stories please!

Daviansmom, did you know there was a thread going here for LearnigBreakthrough? It takes a while, not a quick fix, but the moms there are saying they are seeing some improvements.

Just one word of caution, since you are investigating different herbal products. I peeked at the one in the link. Since herbs are not tested the way drugs are for safety, make sure you do as much research as you can on each of the different ingredients in there, as even natural herbals can and do have side effects you should be aware of. The way it says to take for 4-6 months, then rest, is a clue that there may be something in there that is known for long-term (possibly cummulative) effects.

Best of luck in your search!

FrazzleD
The Following User Says Thank You to FrazzleDazzle For This Useful Post:
Tilly (04-28-08)
Old 04-09-08, 05:16 PM
Jr Member

daviansmom is on a distinguished road

FrazzleD-

Yes, I am currently on the Learning Breakthrough posts as well, but thanks for letting me know. I have researched each one of those herbs individually and have an email to the company asking why they recommend that. Knowing a little about herbs already, I think it's the licorice, but I need to make sure.

I am seriously losing my mind with my son. Please forgive my venting but these last few weeks have been an absolute nightmare! Right now I am constantly reminding him to do his homework. I wish I had time to explain the time crunch we are on to find something that works for us. Long story short . . . there is a huge gap from 2nd - 3rd grade at the private school he attends. In 2nd grade there is a lot of group work that is done together - in 3rd grade most of the work is independent work. The principal and the teacher are concerned he will not be able to do this type of work. He is already repeating second grade so that is not an option. :::sigh::: So, the principal and the teacher would like for me to start him on meds right away so we can see if it will help or not. Ultimately the decision is mine (and my husbands) to make. It breaks my heart to think that NOT starting him on meds is hindering him though. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Julie
Old 04-09-08, 05:50 PM

FrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud ofFrazzleDazzle has much to be proud of

It's great to know you have done your homework on the supplement! Most folks don't bother. I'm interested to see how your son does on it.

As for meds, I can't recall if you said he's been on them before, if so, did he have any side-effects from them? If not, you can still let him go on meds, then taper off or go off them as you see the supps kick in, and you should know fairly soon. The meds will likely help him within the first day or two he takes them. Just double check with his ped first before doing that to make sure there are no contraindications to the meds/supps.

You are doing a great job, hang in there! Oh, does he have a 504 or IEP to help with his homework load, need for extra time for assignments, etc?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-08, 10:50 AM
Jr Member

Thank you for the words of encouragement. I really need it right now.

First let me say that I received word back from the herbalist at , which is also . She said, "Thank you for your question. There is no problem if your son continues to use the product past 4-6 months. It is perfectly safe. The herbalist who formulated it just found that some kids may not need it past that time, especially if they are also following the diet recommendations from the Healthy Healing book."

No, my son has not been on any meds at all, ever. The ADD-vantage will be my last hope of finding something OTC. I have decided to try it for two weeks and in the meantime continue working with the Learning Breakthrough Program and hopefully be able to stop the supplements once everything "clicks" with the LB program. However, if I do not see any results within the next two weeks while trying ADD-vantage we will finally have to give in and try meds.

If an IEP or 504 is like an order to give him extra time for homework and assignments then the answer is no. (Not real sure what an IEP or 504 is) There are only 9 children in his class this year so the teacher allows him to redo his work. Only because of this did he make A/B honor roll. They are concerned that his teacher next year will not be so leniant (sp?) or have time for him to redo his work because there will be 16-20 kids in a class. This is a lot of reason why it is imperative for us to find a solution before the end of this school year, which ends May 30th.

Thanks again for sharing and helping, hopefully we are all helping each other out here!

Julie

Last edited by meadd823; 05-11-08 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Hyperlinking removal - hyperlinks to advertizements please see guidelines
Old 04-10-08, 10:55 AM
Jr Member

Off Subject! FrazzleD I forgot to mention that I checked out your photo blog. What beautiful pictures!

Juile
The Following User Says Thank You to daviansmom For This Useful Post:
FrazzleDazzle (04-17-08)
Old 04-17-08, 10:07 PM
Jr Member

Just wanting to update everyone on our progress. Davian has been taking ADD-vantage since last Friday and although I can't be sure it's the supplement, I have noticed positive changes. The second day he was on it he gave the dog food and water without being asked. To me that was a HUGE step! He doesn't like pouring water in her bowl because he always spills it. On Tuesday he had a great day at school. Wednesday he got in trouble for talking back to his teacher. I made him write a letter to his teacher and he wrote, "Dear Mrs. ______, I'm sorry for talking back. Please forgive me. Love, _____". I teared up reading it and thought, "who wouldn't forgive you?" Today was another great day! He hasn't had two good days in one week since mid-March! I'm also noticing that he's not arguing with me when it's time to do the LB exercises. He seems to be focusing more on them and getting it over with instead of arguing.

Anyway, I'll keep updating and letting everyone know. Right now he's only getting one capsule once daily. Thinking about upping it to 1 1/2 this weekend. Take care!

Julie
The Following User Says Thank You to daviansmom For This Useful Post:
Tilly (04-28-08)
Old 04-17-08, 10:30 PM

Hope it keeps up! Is Davian feeling better about himself as well, does HE notice?

Thanks for the update :-)

Oh, just noticed your compliment, and thank you very much!
Old 04-18-08, 03:26 PM
Jr Member

I asked him the other day if he is being able to notice any difference and he said yes. He said, "today when I tried to think of an answer it just popped in my head."

There are so many little things I've noticed over the last few days. Last night when we told him to hang up his towel after bath he actually folded it in half and hung it right instead of throwing it on the towel bar as usual. I find myself tearing up over these little things becuase it is such huge progress. I know everyone here knows what I'm talking about.
Old 04-18-08, 06:42 PM

Yep, we do.

My eyes teared up in awe the first time my son took out the garbage from start to finish without any prompting! Glad it's working, and hope it KEEPS working!
Old 04-23-08, 01:19 PM
Jr Member

It has been 13 days since Davian started taking ADD-vantage. Parents that don't want to medicate really need to try this stuff! I have a friend at church convinced and she is ready to go in together on an order.
Davian is being so sweet, easier to deal with, taking his time on homework, doing things when asked THE FIRST TIME, etc!
Monday we were supposed to go have dinner at my 4 year old's school. By the time he finished his homework he only had 10 minutes before we needed to leave the house. To my utter amazement he didn't run to video games! Later that evening when we got home and I told to get ready for bed he said, "But we didn't get to play the Wii." And I said, "I'm sorry." Typically whining and complaining follow, but not that night. He went ahead and got ready for bed! Yesterday I sat down with him to help him with his homework. When his handwriting was sloppy I would ask him to erase something and write it again. Instead of pitching a fit he would say, "oh, sorry".
Oh and one more thing. Last night he got a pad and paper and sketched a picture of what he saw while looking out the window. I have no idea where that idea came from. I asked him if they were doing that in art at school and he said no.
Anyway, I could go on forever about the changes I have seen. I feel I should also tell you that as of yesterday I started adding fish oil again. We use the Coromega brand. Curious to see if today is as good as yesterday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daviansmom For This Useful Post:
*KJ* (03-11-11), Tilly (04-28-08)
Old 04-24-08, 09:21 AM

Thanked 3,792 Times in 1,934 Posts
Imnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond reputeImnapl has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnapl View Post
a59yankee, I can really identify with your post. My son wasn't diagnosed with ADHD - combined, emphasis on the H, until adulthood and we knew very little about ADHD/ADD - just some misinformation from the media. We just functioned as a family, accepted each individual as they are and supported each other.

I always suspected my son had a lot of ability and his assessment for ADHD included screening for LDs and abilities which proved it. His academic performance didn't start to decline until grade ten, but he always performed above the radar and his teachers liked him.

I was fortunate to be able to be a stay-at-home mom when my kids were in school and when I rejoined the workforce, I worked school hours. My daughter really struggles with organization and if she hadn't had the support I was able to give her, she would have had a much more difficult time at school. She went to regular swim and skating lessons instead of preschool. Did I mention hyperactivity?
I'm sorry, I just realized I missed the boat as far as what the topic of this thread was about. I assumed, by the title, that the original poster meant non-medicinal interventions such as behavior management, organization, communication - other support strategies. As a family, we managed to be reasonably successful coping with symptoms without knowing they made up a disorder and we did not use any form of drugs to do it. I consider herbals and supplements natural drugs.

Phaedrus

Old 04-24-08, 09:21 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,418 Times in 6,123 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
Moderator note - just a notice. . .

Some one mentioned trying to keep this thread "going"

I Sticky the thing so it won't go any where - this way members aren't pressured into feeling like they have to post {some thing any thing }to prevent it from dropping into oblivion.

This thread is for non-medication success stories - although questions are welcome please do not use it to debate the validity of these alternatives.

{maybe one day we will get a safe haven up for those of us on medications - where is that to do list? }

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
Tilly (04-28-08)
Old 04-24-08, 09:26 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,418 Times in 6,123 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
non-medicinal interventions such as behavior management, organization, communication - other support strategies.
Wow those are good ideas - they are non-medication strategies that haven't been mentioned - like that CBT - cognitive behavioral therphy . . .

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
*KJ* (03-11-11), Imnapl (04-24-08)
Old 04-28-08, 05:20 PM
Contributor

Tilly will become famous soon enough

I think I'm finally at a point where I'm finished wondering what else can help my son with his ADHD. It's taken a year and a half to get where we are. Here is our journey.

My son was hyper off the charts, impulsive, not able to focus, not able to learn to read and recognize letters, he had a loud high pitched voice, little muscle tone, sleep problems, occassional day time wetting. He would get frustrated and cry alot. He couldn't follow through on simple one step requests like put your back pack away.

I saw meds in the near future. My hubby, thankfully did not. Desperate I remembered hearing red dye was bad. I removed it, not expecting to see any results, and boy was I surprized when my sons behavior improved.

Then I noticed it wasn't just the red dye, it was other colors too. So I started to google wondering what else there was to it. Ultimately I found the feingold program, which really got our diet cleaned up. I also swapped out home and personal products for healthier ones.

By the end of a month my son was sleeping every night, his voice became normal, he was following directions, learning the alphabet, hyperactivity was greatly improved. He wasn't as frustrated and didn't cry as much. He began to sing songs and hug me more. His eye contact improved.

He was still having difficulty in school. He was better, but not doing as well as he was at home.

Finally I figured out the flouride I gave him had artificials in it. I called the company 3 times before someone finally fessed up. I got rid of that.

And I took gluten out of his diet. I had been giving him sandwiches everyday for school lunch. We weren't eating much gluten at home so that might be why I hadn't noticed. I took the gluten out and got good reports from his teacher a week and a half later. He also made another improvement at home in terms of learning, hyperactivity, and frustration.

I tried l-theanine and gaba to help him with focus and did not notice a difference. I however take the l-theanine when I can't sleep. It's good stuff. Haven't lost a nights sleep since I got it.

I gave him nordic naturals fish oil and a multi vite. I didn't notice any improvements from this.

I recently stopped the fish oil because I started my son on digestive enzymes and he is even better than before. It's really amazing!

Feingold is my number one treatment and enzymes are my number two treatments. enzymestuff.com is a good resource.

I'm hoping to add gluten back into his diet with the use of enzymes.

His school work, behavior, focus, and mood have all improved with the use of enzymes. I really don't think I can get him any better.

It's such a process. Everyone has diffrent things that might help them. Thanks for starting this thread and good luck!
Old 04-29-08, 10:58 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Codykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to beholdCodykins is a splendid one to behold

Hello everyone and thanks for keeping this discussion going. It has been a busy couple of months and I would like update everyone.

First, we had the child study team evaluation completed last week. Cody does not (at this point) have a learning disability. However, I was able to have him classified under medical and now he is eligible to all the programs and resources as a classified child. This was really my goal for he receives already two days of support (1/2 hour each) and now he will receive another two 1/2 hour support sessions. This way Cody can complete tests with the support teacher if need be and of course, get lost of help. Next year Cody will have an in class support teacher by his side! Cody scored very well on all his evaluations coming in at high average for verbal and non verbal but scoring low average on cognitive functions. Since this is typical with ADD and his evaluator saw his deficit with focus and attention they were very willing to help classify him.>>
> >
Secondly, we meet with the Naturopathic doctor and at first step we are going exclude wheat and flour from his diet for a complete month. See if we notice any difference and then gradually add it back into his diet. Adding better quality vitamins and some added supplements.>>
> >
Lastly, Had our follow meeting last night with the neuro-pediatrician, she reviewed the child study team evaluation and did a quick evaluation with Cody, asked some question and then when into what medication she would like to subscribe. I explained to her that we were going to work on a more natural path for now and through out the summer. That I would like to reschedule with her in September after school has been in session for a month and review where he is at that time. >>
>>
I have to tell you she seemed disappointed and tried to talk me into the benefits of meds. She told me that the studies haven’t proven heavily in favor of diet or supplements. This turned me off a bit and I can’t understand the “push” for the meds. Fortunately Cody is NOT hyperactive so I don’t have to deal with that part of ADHD, which I see is the most difficult to control. He is happy and bright and keeps his grades up with help, so I don’t understand why I would be discouraged from trying an alternative? She resided to the fact and rescheduled for early October. >>
>>
Wish us luck we are going to start the diet on Monday morning!! Anyone here have some kid delicious recipes or idea for meals with no Wheat or Flour I would love to get them from you.>>
>>
Dawn