ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-11, 12:32 AM
Contributor

qanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of lightqanda is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Supplements for the treatment of ADHD, Scientific Evidence/Research

I am giving my daughter supplements (Empower plus). Some studies (although some will say weak because they lack a control group) show this supplement works for bipolar. She is doing GREAT on them. I hope others will benefit from our personal trial. I used to cry so many nights worrying about her and now she is MUCH improved!
I am sooooo happy I tried her on a supplement (although I was cautious and nervous about it). Her alternative was meds for a mood disorder and after lots of personal research I came to the conclusion that this supplement was a better choice for our family.
Thank you to all who try and then give their feedback on what is working or not working for themselves and their family. I know for me these personal experiences is what made me try my daughter on a supplement.
The Following User Says Thank You to qanda For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-27-13)
Old 03-03-11, 03:22 AM

Laurelgardner has a spectacular aura aboutLaurelgardner has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish23 View Post
For now, those don't impact the treatment of ADHD.

(Robert)
"For now?" Are you saying they don't work until they're proven?

Ritalin was an effective treatment for ADHD before it was proven to be effective. It was effective before they knew ADHD existed. What it does for the brain now, it did before they understood how the neurochemistry works.

The same is true for whatever alternative practices are still waiting to be proven and widely accepted.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laurelgardner For This Useful Post:
dresser (01-27-13), TurquoiseWind (08-12-12), UserError (04-05-11)
Old 03-03-11, 12:10 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,440 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

As a point, science does not "prove" anything. It can only support or falsify. The reason is that we have to leave it open for new evidence that might change the picture.

Changing when there is new evidence is a basic characteristic of science.

We can say that a treatment has little or no evidence that it is effective. We can say that careful studies show no benefit (falsify). We cannot however "prove" either way. From this you can see why we can say that Ritalin has never been "proven" as a treatment for ADHD but it has been well supported in many studies for this purpose and is a accepted treatment for ADHD.

That does not mean that new evidence cannot come in.

If you look at it this way, you can perhaps better understand what Robert was saying and that he was being quite accurate in his statement.

I hope this is of some help.

Proof is for math and booze, not science.

Dizfriz
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
AbsentMindProf (03-03-11), Amtram (03-03-11), Imnapl (03-03-11), mctavish23 (07-18-11), Panmodal (06-06-11), UserError (04-05-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 01:43 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

AbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant futureAbsentMindProf has a brilliant future

There is no way to conclusively show that a given supplement has NO benefit because that would require studying every possible benefit and ruling all of them out. That's obviously not possible.

However, we can say that there is no evidence that a given supplement is effective, or that there is insufficient evidence that it's effective. It might BE effective, and we just don't have evidence for it yet.

For me, I am unwilling to take a supplement until there is decent scientific evidence showing that it is both safe and effective. What if a given supplement triples your risk of cancer, or heart disease, or some other dreadful disorder that I've never heard of? Those are not questions that can be answered based on personal experience.

Personal experience can also be very misleading when it comes to judging the effectiveness of a supplement. What if you start taking a given supplement and your ADHD symptoms improve? Is that because of the supplement? Well, it might be -- but it also might be a coincidence or it might be due to something else in your life that changed. Reliably determining causality for things like this is much harder than most people realize.

As I see it, if I take an untested supplement I'm effectively turning myself into a lab rat. I just don't want to do that.
Amtram (03-03-11), Dizfriz (03-03-11), Imnapl (03-03-11)
Old 07-11-11, 01:03 PM

Gilbertovill is on a distinguished road

Hello, I found this research about amino acids supplements and co-factors and sounds promising, please everyone search for it and tell me what do you think.
Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2011
Treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder with monoamine amino acid precursors and organic cation transporter assay interpretation
Marty Hinz,1 Alvin Stein,2 Robert Neff,3 Robert Weinberg,4 and Thomas Uncini5
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilbertovill For This Useful Post:
mctavish23 (11-12-11)
Old 07-18-11, 03:40 PM

VickieH is on a distinguished road

I am a big believer in alternative medicine and I think the real problem here is that sadly, we have companies that prey on people who are dealing with specific problems. There are many that promise the moon and deliver nothing. But, that does not mean there are not solutions out here that work and work very well in the alternative medicine arena. I know, I have a grown son that was diagnosed with A.D.B.D. when he was young. I actually fought the diagnosis because in all honesty at that time, I thought it was over used and not confirmed. I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought it was an excuse for bad behavior. Thankfully, for my son's sake... I did finally come to terms with it and did what I could to help him. I was told that some kids outgrow it. I suppose that might be true for some but it sure wasn't for my son. He was diagnosed officially when he was 10. He is 31 yrs. old now. I've spent years researching this, I've tried many things. And finally we have found something natural that does work and not only works but has given my son and all who are around him a new lease on life! Those of you that understand the heartache that comes with A.D.D. will understand when I say my entire world has been changed in a very good way! My son is now happy, stable and truly able to completely enjoy life and bring joy to others.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VickieH For This Useful Post:
darkangel999 (11-26-12), dresser (01-27-13)
Old 07-18-11, 06:03 PM

Thanked 10,286 Times in 3,237 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

I don't know ADBD,but I do know ADHD.

There are some alternative treatments that show "promise,"

only more time is needed, as well as more research.

The KEY to my thread is to recognize the word "treatment."

Pesticide exposure and artificial dyes are getting more

mainstream exposure in the literature, which is definately positive.

Hopefully, this can continue.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)
The Following User Says Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (07-18-11)
Old 11-11-11, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Member

Jewelz81 has a spectacular aura aboutJewelz81 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Supplements specifically for inattentive type?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyAnswered View Post
Exactly, Frazzle.....I thinks it's also important to note the difference in research between FDA approved medications and over the counter supplements. Because of the cost/profit ratio regarding supplements, the amount of research done on these pales in comparison to FDA approved drugs. No one is going to invest $800 million dollars to see if a supplement works when they can't control the sale of it. The money behind the drug companies allows them to "prove" to the FDA that their unique product works for a given condition and once approved, they control the sale rights for a given time period.

For me, I have stumbled upon a neat trick for my inattentiveness. This works wonders for me and allows me to take drug holidays without missing a beat. I use a combination of caffeine, 1000mg L-Tyrosine, and 1000mg Taurine to bridge the gap between my med days. This is basically
a "Red Bull" for much less money and works, in my opinion, MUCH better.

I would NOT recommend anyone take this in conjunction with their daily meds, but taken instead of your meds when on a "holiday" or when your script timing is a few days off.

How much caffeine do you consume? And how does that affect your sleep at night?
Old 01-07-12, 11:58 AM

Wretchedray is on a distinguished road

I am quite taken with dr daniel amen and I think the supplements he recommends for my o.f. Add may be helpful my problem is that though I can find them in holland and barret I could never afford to buy the amount needed to fulfil the recommended dosage. Does anyone know where I can buy these supplements in sufficient quantities without robbing a bank? (I am in the uk).
Old 01-11-12, 06:19 AM
Jr Member

jr22hockey is on a distinguished road

Just thought I'd throw out my supplement regiment

I take (in order of helpfulness) B-complex, fish oil, zinc, iron, vitamin D, Vitamin C in the morning and magnesium at night. These don't help with inattentiveness, but they do help with calming the mind, anxiety, and hyperactivity. (i have tried many supplements and have landed on these as being the most worth it)

Tyrosine and glutamine help a little bit with inattentiveness are only effective if taken once or twice a week
The Following User Says Thank You to jr22hockey For This Useful Post:
darkangel999 (11-26-12)
Old 04-05-13, 10:31 AM
Jr Member

Pryncess2010 is on a distinguished road

I am new to this forum and thought i would post what i am trying. I have a 6 year old who is in kindergarten that was recently diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.
I have her taking 2 on task vitamins which i ordered through the internet. I wasnt sure if i could post their website or link on here but if you google it you can see their story and ingredients in the vitamins.
I also have her taking a tablespoon each morning with orange juice of Natural Vitality Kids Calm Multi.
I have seen improvements with her especially with sitting down and studying and focusing. I had also had her taking this focus formula as well but stopped.
I am not sure if any of you have heard of Nurture and Clarity? It is from Israel and is a supplement. I just received it and i am going to try that with the vitamins and the the kids multi.
I really do not want to medicate my child and I only want the best for her. If any of you have had any success with these products could you please post your experience with them. Thank you.
Old 04-05-13, 02:36 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,063 Times in 15,336 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked with her doctor before adding all of these supplements? Did you double check to see if they interacted with each other? Does her doctor approve of this approach as a treatment plan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pryncess2010 View Post
I am new to this forum and thought i would post what i am trying. I have a 6 year old who is in kindergarten that was recently diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.
I have her taking 2 on task vitamins which i ordered through the internet. I wasnt sure if i could post their website or link on here but if you google it you can see their story and ingredients in the vitamins.
I also have her taking a tablespoon each morning with orange juice of Natural Vitality Kids Calm Multi.
I have seen improvements with her especially with sitting down and studying and focusing. I had also had her taking this focus formula as well but stopped.
I am not sure if any of you have heard of Nurture and Clarity? It is from Israel and is a supplement. I just received it and i am going to try that with the vitamins and the the kids multi.
I really do not want to medicate my child and I only want the best for her. If any of you have had any success with these products could you please post your experience with them. Thank you.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 04-05-13, 03:30 PM
Jr Member

Pryncess2010 is on a distinguished road

Her doctor will not prescribe any medications for her and wants to refer her to a psychiatrist and who can do medication management.
Right now I dont really want to put her on medication if supplements will help her.
as far as the ontask and the Kids calm multi, they are just vitamins and fruit in a liquid and a vitamin.
Old 04-05-13, 04:24 PM
Contributor

immabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of lightimmabum is a glorious beacon of light

Well problem with natural remedies is that drug companies aren't as eager to plunk down millions of dollars to prove something like magnesium works for condition 'x'. They won't profit off something they can't patent. On the flip side there are many 'natural' companies advocating essentially expensive sugar pills - which people lap up.

I would suggest using:
1. naturaldatabase.therapeuticresearch.com -lots of evidence based stuff there
2. Quackwatch.com. -enter in whatever new fangled/popular fad there is, and it will likely shoot it down and give you the reasons why.

Both are excellent sites

Last edited by namazu; 04-05-13 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: Removed hyperlink to site which requires fee for subscription.
The Following User Says Thank You to immabum For This Useful Post:
meadd823 (04-11-13)
Old 04-05-13, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,819 Times in 12,517 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

On Task is a dietary supplement containing magnesium, zinc, B-6 and C.

Natural Vitality Kids Calm Multi. contains Vitamins A, B6, B12, C, D3, E,
Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Pantothenic Acid, Calcium,
Magnesium, Zinc, Omega 3 (DHA & EPA), DMAE, Amino Acid Blend, Choline,
Quercetin, Fruit & Veggie Blend.

So you may be giving her a double dose of some vitamins (magnesium, B6
and C). And there is Vitamin C in the orange juice in the fruit & veggie
blend. OJ can cause problems with some meds absorbing into the blood
stream at a different rate.

I inform my doctors of all supplements and prescription meds and OTC
meds I take, especially when the doctor may change meds or doses.

I take Vitamin B complex, Vita D3 and Omega 3. The Omega 3 has been
really helpful for me and couple of other posters on this forum, but the
amount in this supplement you're giving your child is probably not enough
to make a real difference.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me