ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Other Co-Existing Conditions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-18, 03:08 PM

PI-ADHD 29 is on a distinguished road
Epistaxis (nosebleed)

I have epistaxis for years. Especially when I'm tired or hungry and in winters. Not much bleeding only a few drops and then stops. I wasn't examined for that so I don't know what causes. I read somewhere epistaxis is common in adhd but it was not scientific report. Do you have such a problem?
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-21-18)
Old 09-20-18, 04:28 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,769 Times in 10,448 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Epistaxis (nosebleed)

I'd be interested in your source for this info. I had not heard that nosebleed was more common in ADHD.

I have heard that people with ADHD are more likely to also be diagnosed with allergies, though, which in some cases could lead to nosebleeds.

I personally have not had a problem with nosebleeds.
Old 09-21-18, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namazu View Post
I'd be interested in your source for this info. I had not heard that nosebleed was more common in ADHD.

I have heard that people with ADHD are more likely to also be diagnosed with allergies, though, which in some cases could lead to nosebleeds.

I personally have not had a problem with nosebleeds.
I had read here: "My Nosebleed Theory" by MyLittleVillagers you can also see comments below the page. Also scientificially allergic rhinitis is common in adhd.

Last edited by namazu; 09-21-18 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: Links to commercial websites and blogs w/o links to ADDF aren't permitted.
The Following User Says Thank You to PI-ADHD 29 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-21-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-18, 01:31 AM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,769 Times in 10,448 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reference. Unfortunately, that kind of casual polling (like a lot of the "Hey, do you have this "symptom", too?" polls on ADDF!) often leads to selection biases that tend not to produce valid results. But, like our own individual observations, it can still raise interesting questions that are worth exploring (even if it isn't, by itself, convincing evidence of a link between ADHD and nosebleeds). Sometimes an astute observation can lead to important new discoveries (and sometimes it leads people astray).

I looked in PubMed and did find 2 papers on ADHD and epistaxis:

- 1 was a case report of a child with ADHD who came to clinical attention due to nosebleeds attributed to frequent nose-picking.

- 1 was a case-control study of Turkish children with and without recurrent epistaxis (RE). The researchers found a higher prevalence of ADHD and ODD in children with RE vs children without; however, I couldn't read the full paper to evaluate their methods. They seem to speculate that the nosebleeds are related to self-injurious behaviors as well -- whether that means nose-picking, or impulsive activities that result in injuries to the face, I don't know.

Last edited by namazu; 09-21-18 at 01:48 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
PI-ADHD 29 (09-21-18)
Old 09-23-18, 05:29 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,279 Times in 5,377 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Keep in mind too that stimulant drugs taken for adhd dry out mucous membranes and raise blood pressure, which could possibly also lead to more nosebleeds.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-23-18)
Old 09-23-18, 08:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,141 Times in 2,896 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have a lot prior to being diagnosed with ADHD. I suspect raised jugular venous pressure-- a proven complication of this neck injury issue I keep rabbiting on about.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

Old 09-30-18, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
Keep in mind too that stimulant drugs taken for adhd dry out mucous membranes and raise blood pressure, which could possibly also lead to more nosebleeds.
I have epistaxis at least for 5 years. And I was diagnosed and started to use drugs only 3 months ago.
Old 09-30-18, 01:02 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 21,519 Times in 11,543 Posts
Little Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond reputeLittle Missy has a reputation beyond repute

need a humidifier in dry climates

And in the end, the love you take; is equal to the love you make...Beatles Abbey Road 1969
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Missy For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-30-18)