ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > ADDiction & Substance Abuse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-18, 04:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 30,377 Times in 13,997 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Addicted to browsing on my mobile

Every free minute I browse. Usually addf, news or some other rubbish. My biggest timewaste sink is probably the guardian's online reader forum.

I browse very little at work and I don't browse when fuzzling is with me but every other free minute I do so it's interfering with sleep, getting chores done or doing any sort of leisure activity.

I don't get much out of it. Reading the news is depressing and reading reader's forums is infuriating mostly. It's marginally interesting but only in the very short term.

The only reason why I do it I can think of is that it's easy, effortless and distracting so maybe it helps with anxiety. Except that it raises anxiety when I realise how much time I've wasted and all the things I'm missing out on.

I don't know how to stop. I don't want to give up my mobile or even mobile internet. I do want it to look up stuff once in a while but I wish I could stop wasting hours on it. Any advice?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
namazu (09-24-18)
Old 07-24-18, 04:43 PM
Contributor

LyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to beholdLyrinMeow is a splendid one to behold
Re: Addicted to browsing on my mobile

Get parental software that allows someone to control the times it can be used and have someone else set it up as the "parent" so you can't undo it. I believe those are available oh phones now.

If you look and there isn't let me know so I can write one and make bank, please.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LyrinMeow For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-24-18), namazu (09-24-18)
Old 07-24-18, 04:50 PM

Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyrinMeow View Post
Get parental software that allows someone to control the times it can be used and have someone else set it up as the "parent" so you can't undo it. I believe those are available oh phones now.

If you look and there isn't let me know so I can write one and make bank, please.
I've tried that but the thing is when I need it then I want it to be instantly and restriction free available. This could be anytime. So I don't want to limit my access. I want to stop wanting to browse or learn how to stop after a short while.

Maybe there is a parental control that sets the total amount of time allowed per day. But then I'd have to start planning so that I don't run out when I need it.
namazu (09-24-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-18, 12:35 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,633 Times in 15,114 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I mean..addiction is characterized by interfering with your life significantly, causing chaos, harm, it means you continue to do it even after consequences. In severe cases like alcohol or drugs you might steal so you can buy your goods. I dont see you as having these issues.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-24-18), Fuzzy12 (09-21-18)
Old 08-16-18, 03:55 PM
ADDvanced Member

BrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the roughBrandyDW is a jewel in the rough

Just don’t do it when you’re driving... otherwise I would maybe place like 3 rubber bands around your phone. They won’t interfere with taking calls, but they will be a reminder to you to not waste all your free time on stuff that you’re finding pointless - such as the news or whatever. When you do want to get on and browse, set your alarm on your phone for 5 to 10 minutes, then when the alarm goes off you’re done and you put the rubber bands around your phone again.

On Adderall for ADHD, lyrica for Fibromyalgia, lexapro and viibryd for depression and anxiety, cosentyx for psoriasis, cyclosporine for IC,
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandyDW For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-21-18)
Old 09-21-18, 05:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

A very wise therapist once told me that if you remove or stop one thing you have to replace it with another.

So just telling yourself "I'm going to stop this pointless browsing" won't work unless you find something else that motivates you just as much to do it.

If you really don't have anything else that important to do, and it's not interfering with your normal functioning, maybe don't beat yourself up so much over it. Lots of people do it.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-21-18)
Old 09-22-18, 06:29 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I am not addicted to it. We went camping for 4 days and there was no signal in the mountains and I did fine. I sure as hell love it though.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-22-18), Fuzzy12 (09-22-18)
Old 09-22-18, 08:10 AM

It is a problem for me and it does interfere with my functioning. There are so many other things I should be doing and so many other things I want to do. I love addf but there are definitely other activities that would make me happier (or healthier) than reading the news for hours. If nothing else it reduces my sleep by probably two hours and I don't sleep enough anyway.

I've been on holiday without WiFi and though I missed it I didn't go crazy but the problem is that when my phone is around I browse. Like now...when I should be doing laundry and a million other thinga and I only have about an hour before fuzzling wakes up again.
namazu (09-24-18)
Old 09-22-18, 12:02 PM

Alphawave is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a form of procrastinating to me, anything to avoid things that need to be done
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alphawave For This Useful Post:
acdc01 (09-24-18), Fuzzy12 (09-24-18)
Old 09-23-18, 04:51 AM
Mod-A-holic

I dont know if you have an iphone or not fuzzy but with the ios12 update they offer controls to set time limits and give you reports on how much and what you use your phone for.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 12:16 PM

Thanked 4,011 Times in 2,065 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation

From your description, I think alphawave is right. I think it's a form of procrastination and also our adhd need for stimulus, not really that you are addicted to the internet.

I think you may be better off focusing on other issues instead and I think this one, if it exists, might naturally go away. I think a strict sleep schedule is always good for us and I guess setting your phone to not allow internet during certain hours can help with that (though it should be just one part of the overall goal to improve your sleep habits).

I remember when you were debating whether or not to reduce your work hours by a day, Sarahsweets had suggested you start with just trying to dedicate 1 hour to doing fun and start with that. Did you try that? How's the shortened work schedule working out for you too?
The Following User Says Thank You to acdc01 For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-24-18)
Old 09-24-18, 01:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

DanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to allDanielGM1970 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy12 View Post
It is a problem for me and it does interfere with my functioning. There are so many other things I should be doing and so many other things I want to do. I love addf but there are definitely other activities that would make me happier (or healthier) than reading the news for hours. If nothing else it reduces my sleep by probably two hours and I don't sleep enough anyway.

I've been on holiday without WiFi and though I missed it I didn't go crazy but the problem is that when my phone is around I browse. Like now...when I should be doing laundry and a million other thinga and I only have about an hour before fuzzling wakes up again.
Well, geez, stuff like laundry is boring as hell and not stimulating, just because it needs to get done. Of course you end up picking up the phone and browsing.

What about using your phone to play podcasts of things that REALLY interest you or would better you, not the news, or play YouTube videos of interesting stuff that you could listen to while you do boring stuff like laundry or driving to errands? Again, you have to replace the news with something else, not just grit your teeth and say "no, no, no, I won't look at the news, I won't!" That approach doesn't work.

D.

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

Breathing is not optional. - Dr. Raymond Wertheim

What do you care what other people think? - Arline Feynman, to her husband, American physicist Richard P. Feynman

D.
Old 10-28-18, 10:20 AM

Thanked 5,103 Times in 2,225 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Just spent a week with little phone reception
That helped!!
psychopathetic (10-28-18)
Old 10-28-18, 10:37 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 15,413 Times in 7,672 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Just spent a week with little phone reception
That helped!!
haha yeah...sometimes I wish I'd skip my internet payment so it'd be shut off for a month.
I get on my computer...and that's it.
I use to have other hobbies!

(((Tudsy-Tuds)))

(((((((MOM)))))))
I Miss You.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psychopathetic For This Useful Post:
Rebelyell (10-28-18), tudorose (10-29-18)
Old 10-28-18, 06:03 PM

Thanked 10,951 Times in 5,881 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I'm always on my phone because having like no friends don't know how to make or keep em it's like my social outfit from getting even more severely depressed..yeah I know I have issues..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
psychopathetic (10-28-18), tudorose (10-29-18)