ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 08-26-04, 05:00 AM
Forum Guru

LittlePrincess has a spectacular aura aboutLittlePrincess has a spectacular aura about
Question The switch from ADDERALL to DEXEDRINE

Hey all! Long time no see. Well I have been to see my "new" psychiatrist a couple of times now and I asked about switching from Adderall to dexedrine (both fast acting versions). Right now I take Adderall XR 20 mg in the morning and then if I need an extra boost in the afternoon (most days), I will take a fast acting Adderall 20 mg. For the 'switch' to Dexedrine, my psychiatrist prescribed 5 mg Dexedrine to "replace" the 20mg Adderall .

Is this a normal switch? I've been reading that 1/4 of Adderall is in fact dextroamphetamine, which in this case my Adderall dose would be 5mg dex... However, what about the other 15mg? Anyway, I tried it and I felt nothing. I know you aren't supposed to "feel" the medicine working, but I just did not feel as "sharp" as I would on Adderall .

I called to ask my psych about upping the dose of dex and naturally, he is on vacation. Anyways... I would appreciate some feedback on this to see what you guys think... If you've had similar experiences and whatnot. Thanks so much!!
The Following User Says Thank You to LittlePrincess For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-30-15)
Old 08-26-04, 12:33 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
Dexedrine is slightly stronger than Adderall because dextroamphetamine is more potent than the other components in Adderall on a mg for mg basis. But it isn't a huge difference - maybe 20% - so I would expect 15mg of dexedrine to feel similar to 20mg of Adderall - roughly. Your Doctor may be trying to work you up to the right dosage? Why did you ask to switch from Adderall to dexedrine? Just curious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregster For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-30-15)
Old 08-27-04, 12:21 AM
Forum Guru

LittlePrincess has a spectacular aura aboutLittlePrincess has a spectacular aura about
Well for one it is incredibly cheaper with my dad's prescription plan.
90 adderall tabs= about 40 dollars
90 dexedrine tabs= about 10 dollars

I just heard that it was very similar, so the price, plus I thought that this might work even better for me. Ya never know!

Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm expecting a phone call from him on Monday.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-04, 09:36 AM
ADDvanced Member

Alexa is on a distinguished road
The price difference if most likely because the Dexadrine is a generic and the Adderall XR is a Brand with no generic available. What about going with regular Adderall (XR is time released while regular is immediate) which is available generically in all strengths? Sounds like his insurance plan is 40.00 for Brand medications and 10.00 for generic.
Old 08-28-04, 02:11 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
That's what I thought - Generic dextroamphetamine is way cheaper, and probably just as effective as adderall for most people. In my opinion anyway, the generics are the same - the drug is the same in both - and in many cases may be made in the same reactor as the name brand. The difference in cost is due to marketing costs and increased profit margins. Some people do feel there is a difference, so you may as well.
Old 08-28-04, 04:49 AM
Forum Guru

Hey there again. The two of you did not read my fisrt post thoroughly. I take Adderall XR in the morning no matter what. Then IN ADDITION to the XR, I will take a fast acting Adderall (generic, amphetamine salts). This generic adderall is $40 for 90 pills. The 5mg of dextroamphetamine (generic dexedrine) is about $10. Just a difference in the drug/price. Both are generics.
Old 08-28-04, 05:09 PM

ChemicalMethod is on a distinguished road
Don't go generic, its not the best dex out there.

"The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some considered to be unnatural."
Old 08-29-04, 10:27 PM
Forum Guru

the best dex? what do u mean? wouldn't it be the exact same thing?
Old 08-30-04, 03:39 PM
Jr Member

KevinN99 is on a distinguished road
Wink

how is the dexedrine working out for you? does it feel differenly compared to the XR's?

I'm going back to the dr on wednesday, so i'm trying to get input from people...
Thanks!

btw...i'm glad to be meeting another fellow plano student...

Kevin
Old 08-30-04, 08:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Wheezie has disabled reputation
You can read this thread for a discussion of generic v. brand name dexedrine.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6993

They also discuss the perceived differences between different manufacterers of generic dexedrine.
Old 08-31-04, 06:13 PM

Philidor is on a distinguished road
Philidor

Greetings. If my name is unfamiliar, you will find it by following the link posted by wheezie above, which I suggest you do.

To update my last post, and respond to some previous posts on the current thread:

1) In spite of what many pharmacists, and the FDA, may tell you, there is indeed often a difference---sometimes dramatic---in quality between brand name drugs and their generic versions. For example, many p-docs will not prescibe any but brand Ritalin because the generics tend to beunreliable. The reasons have to do with things like "bioavailability" and some other fudge factors I won't get into here.

2) Dextrostat is NOT a generic but some pharmacists think it is because it's a lot cheaper than Dexedrine (one reason being that it's available in 10mg instead of just 5mg.)

Actually, Dextrostat is a brand of d-amphetamine put out by Shire. (You wouldn't know that from visiting their website because they've stopped promoting it in favor of Adderall, their much hotter (and more expensive) amphetamine mix.) But it is, take my word. Potent as Dexedrine, but with a slightly differenct "feel".

3) An even better and cheaper Dexedrine clone is the d-amphetamine made by Mallinckrodt (thanks to Downing2Dexies for this tip). I tried it, it works great . PROBLEM: many drugstores don't stock it because it's more expensive than other generic Dexedrine copies, like the one made by Barr. But accept no substitutes! Many druggists will order the Mallincrockrodt from their distributers if you insist on it. Takes a couple days, but it's worth it!

4) Of course, if price is no object, then stick to the Dexedrine. Or if your present generic works for you, by all means ignore me.

5) As for Adderall, my doc put me on it for a time, and I found it to be not only fantastically expensive, but no better than Dextrostat, and not as "pure" feeling in effect, somehow. Others may disagree. But I'm suspicious of all these impressive "scientific" reasons you'll hear why these expensive, gimmicky mixtures work better than the straight stuff. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, I say.

Philidor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Philidor For This Useful Post:
greenarrow (04-01-10), MissHope (12-06-11)
Old 09-03-04, 02:39 AM
Forum Guru

Hi Kevin... Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. How did your doctor's appointment go? I'm going back to mine next Monday the 13th. Dexedrine seems to be okay, but like I said before, I think I like the Adderall better (for fast acting help) The XR has been working out nicely for me, taking it on my school days. I've been doing great so far. Feel free to PM me and we can talk more about it if you'd like.

PS- Yeah, it's good to know someone here from Plano too! haha! Talk to you soon.
Old 09-04-04, 05:08 AM

wasted is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philidor
2) Dextrostat is NOT a generic but some pharmacists think it is because it's a lot cheaper than Dexedrine (one reason being that it's available in 10mg instead of just 5mg.)

Actually, Dextrostat is a brand of d-amphetamine put out by Shire. (You wouldn't know that from visiting their website because they've stopped promoting it in favor of Adderall, their much hotter (and more expensive) amphetamine mix.) But it is, take my word. Potent as Dexedrine, but with a slightly differenct "feel".
Until today I didn't know that Adderall and Dextrostat were made by the same company (feeling dumb now). Wow. The price difference, for me, was amazing because the real Adderall cost me a co-pay of $40, but Dextrostat was only a $10 co-pay and it was twice as many pills, too.

Quote:
3) An even better and cheaper Dexedrine clone is the d-amphetamine made by Mallinckrodt (thanks to Downing2Dexies for this tip). I tried it, it works great . PROBLEM: many drugstores don't stock it because it's more expensive than other generic Dexedrine copies, like the one made by Barr. But accept no substitutes! Many druggists will order the Mallincrockrodt from their distributers if you insist on it. Takes a couple days, but it's worth it!
Have you been on both Mallinckrodt's and Dextrostat? Just wondering if you know of how the 2 compare to each other. Are you saying you think Mallincrodt is the best of all generics, or best of all of the dextroamphetamines, including dextrostat and dexedrine? I know that individual response varies of course, but I am just curious of your experience.I tried very hard to get that mallincrodt generic, but no pharmacy would order it for me One told me they could do that, and when I got there, they acted like I was crazy and that was not possible to do (diff. employee) BARR has taken over! I hated their generic Adderall so I said no way would I touch their generic Dex.

Quote:
5) As for Adderall, my doc put me on it for a time, and I found it to be not only fantastically expensive, but no better than Dextrostat, and not as "pure" feeling in effect, somehow.
Could you please elaborate on the differences in how you felt between the two? And was the dosage about the same, or were you on less Dex?

Sorry to ask so many questions! I'll understand if you don't want to answer.

[ 20 yea
r old female student from california, usa ]

i love... animals, photography, drawing (pencil, pen & ink), painting, beading, collages, playing piano & violin, alternative and rock music, night time, the moon, fall weather, ice skating, horseback riding, water polo, collecting vintage care bears, rainbow brite and strawberry shortcake memorabilia

i'm hoping to become... a photographer, graphic designer, film editor or veterinarian.
Old 09-08-04, 06:21 AM

Toaster is on a distinguished road
has anyone that is currently taking any dexs taken concerta in the past? I am taking concerta 27mg and its doing squat for me. I was thinking of switching but not sure as to what to switch to. I was considering adderall xr but i am tired of wasting money and time with drug after drug, is this dextrostat generallyconsidered the best ?
Old 09-08-04, 02:02 PM

Thanked 6,455 Times in 4,705 Posts
SB_UK has disabled reputation
Hi,

I've tried ritalin and dexedrine (by Ciba and Celltech)

I find Dexedrine is longer lasting, smoother and reduces my anxiety/fog more than Ritalin (which actually increases my anxiety levels).

SB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SB_UK For This Useful Post:
adhdseeker (10-30-15), FranticFrummie (08-07-11)