ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Eating Disorders/Weight Issues/Body Image
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-18, 06:33 AM

Worriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the rough
Dermathophagia

Hi guys...

I only just realised that I have had a co-existing condition going on since childhood, and that's dermatophagia.

Up until now, I thought "I just bite my nails"... but to be honest, my condition has had me chewing my fingers around my nails and the skin inside my cheeks for decades
The reason I started thinking about it, was because today I was doing my rutine and cutting some flaky skin on a fingertip and as I cut some of it off to sort of taper the flaky ness to avoid a new edge, I noticed that the sub-skin has some kind of redish indentations. Like small "holes" or deeper parts that had been sitting under the skin.
I thought "huh"... went to doctor Google, and finally came across the disorder Dermatophagia or "Wolfbiters". And suddenly it made sense...

Do any of you suffer from this as well? Most of you will probably not have thought about it till you had to thrown in your face... just like me.
If you do... have you overcome it? And HOW?!

So far, the first helpful thread I've found was this guy who seems to be on the right path. Apart from that, it would appear that normally it is treated through behavioural therapy or cognitive or even medication... but my Methylphenidate has cured mine what so ever... And now... Now I want to rid of this!

Maybe the cold turkey method is the way to go... but I'm open to suggestions

For those who don't think much of it. The small portion of info I've read is that if you don't quit, you can basically ruin your fingers to the point where you can't fix them again
Old 01-04-18, 07:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,978 Times in 14,785 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Dermathophagia

I used to bite my nails and cuticles although not quite as severe as you. I bought some of that anti nail biter polish thats clear but makes your nails and skin taste awful. I mean awful. That helped plus started taking biotin about a year and a half ago and my nails grew!

http://sk.uploads.im/t/6OP3g.jpg

This one is from amazon but any drug store brand will do.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 01-04-18, 09:55 AM

Worriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the roughWorriedoldie is a jewel in the rough

yeah, I remember my cousin being subjected to that when we were kids

I actually tried that, but ehm... I was able to completely ignore the awful taste :S
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-18, 10:07 AM

I read some old replies to old threads..... a lot of mentioning that dermatophagia is anxiety related...? Is this a fact? Or just in some cases? I mean... could it purely be because of ADD and impulsivity or is there a chance I might have held back on my anxiety questionaire when being diagnosed :S
The Following User Says Thank You to Worriedoldie For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-04-18)
Old 01-04-18, 11:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,551 Times in 6,499 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worriedoldie View Post
I read some old replies to old threads..... a lot of mentioning that dermatophagia is anxiety related...? Is this a fact? Or just in some cases? I mean... could it purely be because of ADD and impulsivity or is there a chance I might have held back on my anxiety questionaire when being diagnosed :S
It’s absolutely possible, and in general, likely.

Dermatillomania (skin picking) and trichotillomania (hair pulling) are classic anxiety presentations.

Earlier in life, I was an aggressive cuticle groomer because of anxiety, and for the time I was taking it, Ritalin/Concerta caused me to do it again, with added fiddling with lip skin and chronic gnawing on lip and inner cheek because of the anxiety those meds cause for me. That said, Focalin did not do this, and for me, neither does dextroamphetamine.

Cheers,
Ian