ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-01-18, 09:10 PM

GVEADD is on a distinguished road
46 years of age and looking for others advice on managing ADD.

Hello, I am writing this looking for those with ADD that have been able to mange their daily life. I am going on 14 months of finding out that my past lack of motivation, irresponsibility, and being undisciplined, is all due to having a 'hunter gatherer' brain.

I am the typical male that was never diagnosed with it (lost many jobs, lost many friends, and near being homeless), trying to deal with knowing that it really was not me but just how my brain process events. I just have to figure out how to work with this type of brain, and stop feeling bad for all of the wasted time that has passed (if I only knew decades ago).

Since I lost my last job, yeah shocker, I was able to get unemployment (only six months that ran out in February) and get in school through unemployment (MCSA, CCNA). I was also able to start seeing a psychiatrist and get prescribe meds. The only problem with the medication is that the meds worked great the first week and a half, but has never been back to that level since. I am using Vyvanse and started at 30 mg, now at 50 mg., but still minor results. The level of focus while reading, and the motivation to get up and plan for my future (even going through these tough times) was great the first week and a half, but has never came back to that level. I am now going on a little over two months of being on it.

Please help with advice because it sucks being this age and still living like I am a somewhat irresponsible 19 year. I am so tired of being at this low level at life, but long term planing is not in me naturally (the meds in the beginning let me see that). Which sucks because I am a hard worker when it comes to other peoples job (meaning whatever type of employment I happen to have). But turn into a log when it comes to something I know I need to do to better my future. Shoot I can not even plan for two weeks away from now because I know I will completely forget about it, concentrating on some trivial crap in my daily life.

Since my friends are having very successful lives, they are no longer around. So I come to this forum looking for help from others that might have been able to manage and strive with this type of brain.

Thanks for any helpful advice you can give me.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GVEADD For This Useful Post:
Batman55 (04-12-18), daveddd (04-03-18), PoppnNSailinMan (04-12-18), stef (04-04-18)