ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-18, 09:52 AM

Arthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the roughArthos is a jewel in the rough
ADHD in the family

Recently I have been wondering whether there is more ADHD in the family. In particular whether my sister has ADHD. I understand that people here are not medical professionals but I am curious to see whether this sounds like ADHD to you.

My sister does not plan ahead or think about any consequences, not when she was younger and not now at 33. Of course, this is one of the trademarks of ADHD. However, she seems to be so unfazed whenever she is faced with consequences and this is what makes me wonder if it is only ADHD or perhaps something else.

Where most people would freak out if they ordered pizza again while not having the money, if they were out with a baby without diapers again, if they forgot their parent's birthday again, she is genuinely unfazed. (And it goes further to debt, education, relationships, pregnancy, etc.) While this probably saves her a lot of anxiety, I also feel like this mindset makes it virtually impossible for her to learn from her actions.

Most people with ADHD make the same mistake over and over (that's part of the deal). However, I also get the impression that most of us at least have the desire to change and get better, and a lot of the time try really hard. The downside of this is obviously that it affects our self-esteem: wanting to change but barely being able to no matter how hard we try. The major advantage is that, yes, sometimes we DO manage to get better, whereas that would have been impossible without all our effort.

Any thoughts?