ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 05-17-12, 06:14 PM
ADDvanced Member

syrella will become famous soon enough
Gluten free diet as part of a treatment program

Anyone tried a gluten free diet as part of their treatment plan? Just wondering... I am thinking of getting tested for celiac disease as I think I may have it. I've had long standing gut problems that I always attributed to IBS. That and there does seem to be some evidence that a gluten free diet might help reduce ADHD symptoms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21977364/
(example)

What do you all think?
Old 05-17-12, 06:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 4,317 Times in 1,871 Posts
pechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond reputepechemignonne has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Gluten free diet as part of a treatment program

I tried it. It helped my digestion a bit (I have IBS too), but it was really really hard to keep up and it didn't help my ADHD symptoms at all.

"I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread. Ducks love bread, but they can't buy any. That's the biggest joke on the duck ever."
Mitch Hedberg

"You would be the world's worst ninja."
Pechemignonne's boyfriend
Old 05-17-12, 07:04 PM

Thanked 4,908 Times in 2,127 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

I don't eat wheat or dairy. It has no impact whatsoever on the adhd. What it does do is help other issues like IBS and RRV (like CFS). If it makes you feel better overall then it's worth it. If it doesn't make any difference then it's probably not worth the hassle.
pechemignonne (05-17-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-12, 04:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

I started eating Gluten Free in August of 2011 after ending up in the emergency room. Was diagnosed with Coliits, and IBS in 2008. Had a colonoscopy and everything was clear.

I was diagnosed with ADD almost a year after starting to eat Gluten Free, so I don't think there is a huge connection.

On the plus side, my migraines are almost completely gone.
The Following User Says Thank You to hjajck For This Useful Post:
anonymouslyadd (05-24-12)
Old 05-24-12, 12:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

T-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to all

I have a related question. I've heard from several different sources that you should get tested for Celiac disease before starting a gluten free diet. Because once you have been gluten free for a while, the antibodies won't show up, and the test will be useless.

However, from what I've read the only treatment for Celiac disease is a gluten free diet. So what is the harm in skipping the test? If the diet helps, then it helps. If it doesn't, then you give it up and go back to eating gluten.

So, is there any advantage to getting tested other than satisfying my curiousity? BTW, I'm childfree and don't plan on having any. And I can't imagine getting my parents to change their diet at this point. So the genetic link isn't a factor for me.
Old 05-24-12, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Member

hjajck is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex65 View Post
I have a related question. I've heard from several different sources that you should get tested for Celiac disease before starting a gluten free diet. Because once you have been gluten free for a while, the antibodies won't show up, and the test will be useless.

However, from what I've read the only treatment for Celiac disease is a gluten free diet. So what is the harm in skipping the test? If the diet helps, then it helps. If it doesn't, then you give it up and go back to eating gluten.

So, is there any advantage to getting tested other than satisfying my curiousity? BTW, I'm childfree and don't plan on having any. And I can't imagine getting my parents to change their diet at this point. So the genetic link isn't a factor for me.
In my opinion, the test *can* be a waste of time. The test is inconclusive, at best. Even people who are true Celiac's and not just gluten intolerant can have normal results. That said, it wouldn't hurt to be tested if you are really curious.

Experimenting with a gluten free diet is probably the best course of action. I was tested for Celiac Disease and the test was negative (normal). Three years later, with recurring digestive issues, I chose to eat GF because I knew it might help (and has), and definitely wouldn't hurt. My neurologist suggested it due to the correlation of digestive issues and migraines in most people (not all).
T-Rex65 (05-24-12)
Old 05-24-12, 01:00 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Your logic is reasonable. It would be helpful to know if you have celiacs (which causes long term damage, and is much more sensitive to even the slightest contamination) vs intolerance. If it is in fact celiacs, it would be helpful to be able to share that information with your extended family.
But yeah, if the diet works, then you already have your answers. I tried it for a year with no luck but I still plan on getting tested at some point via endoscopy/biopsy. Just because the diet didn't detect it doesn't mean it isn't there.

One thing I learned recently about my body is that when you have more than one issue, they can easily mask one another. This might be more clear with an example. I have a mucus problem. I hack and cough throughout the day despite not being a smoker and being generally healthy. It acts up when I exercise, making it next to impossible for me to get good cardio in. In the past, I've tried taking allergy meds with no luck. At a different time, I tried taking antacids/inhibitors with no luck. Turns out both were causing such a major response that even if I removed one, the other was still hard at work. It wasn't until I treated both at the same time, that my symptoms started to actually clear up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
T-Rex65 (05-24-12)
Old 05-25-12, 11:09 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

T-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to allT-Rex65 is a name known to all

Thanks for the info, Y'all! I'm not ready to take the plunge yet. But if and when I do, I'll probably post about it.
Old 05-25-12, 11:49 AM

mickthecat is on a distinguished road

Quote:

It is important to get tested because if you have it you must not eat any gluten. Ever. For the rest of your life. It is much more serious than just trying out a diet. I have a family member with severe celiac so I know. And also if you are eating gluten free it is a lot harder than just not eating wheat. Gluten is in lots of processed foods, like sauces and some meats that have been enhanced, lots of other stuff you wouldn't think of too. It is a major pain in the butt. You can not eat any bread, cakes, cookies, most cereal unless you get special gluten free stuff which to be honest does not taste very good.

If you have celiac and you do eat gluten what happens is it destroys the cilia in your small intestines and you won't absorb nutrients properly. You will lose weight and start to look like you are starving, thin but with a pot belly. Then you end up with stomach cancer which is one of the bad cancers.

You can have celiac and have no or few symptoms and it can develop later in life. Another family member for me started losing weight at 72 and because the first family member (a child) had such severe celiac and had been diagnosed young, he got tested, by the blood test and then endoscopy. Turned out positive. The disease is genetically linked so we had suspected others in the family would have the disease.

There is no harm in trying the diet I guess but if you do suspect celiac get tested prior.
Old 05-28-12, 12:55 AM
ADDvanced Member

quark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrella View Post
Anyone tried a gluten free diet as part of their treatment plan? Just wondering... I am thinking of getting tested for celiac disease as I think I may have it. I've had long standing gut problems that I always attributed to IBS. That and there does seem to be some evidence that a gluten free diet might help reduce ADHD symptoms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21977364/
(example)

What do you all think?
Celiac or non-celiac gluten intolerance CAN cause "brain fog" type symptoms along with depression and anxiety, all of which can mimic ADHD symptoms. I get the brain fog in a nasty way with gluten exposure. For me it's different from my ADD - which is always there! - in severity and qualitative experience (I get lost in straight hallways, for example, when brain fogged) but I can certainly understand how experiencing that could be confused with ADD. Also my ADD was there my whole life, the whole celiac thing is a more recent phenomenon.

Get tested WHILE EATING GLUTEN NORMALLY - 1st a TTG blood test, with total IgA. If that's negative do the IgG versions to be sure. If anything is suspicious get a intestinal biopsy with a GI doc. The difference between celiac and non-celiac gluten intol with the current state of knowledge is that the latter will not raise antibodies nor have any intestinal tissue involvement, but it can still have nasty systematic health effects. Both require a gluten free diet, which is harder than you might think. Celiac.com has a good forum and if you find gluten is not in your future by all means find a local support group etc...it can be a difficult path to take, especially in the beginning. And you'll get to buy your own toaster. Trust me on that one.