ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Exercise and Nutrition > Nutrition
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-12, 10:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

jace49 is a jewel in the roughjace49 is a jewel in the roughjace49 is a jewel in the rough
Gluten Limited not Gluten Free

Iíve tried following a Gluten Free lifestyle and the results are positive. I donít know if I have celiac disease but I do have inflammation when I eat to much Gluten ( wheat, processed foods), but the pressure of leading a Gluten Free lifestyle can get overwhelming , to lighten the pressure , ďIím Gluten LimitedĒ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jace49 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-16-12), Unmanagable (07-17-12)
Old 07-14-12, 11:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of
Re: Gluten Limited not Gluten Free

I'm celiac. I would highly recommend getting tested for celiac BEFORE you go gluten free. If you are celiac, and you don't follow a strict diet, it will cause many problems for you and could end your life sooner than you would like. If you are only gluten intolerant, there is more wiggle room, but it is very important to find out which one you are.

How long have you been gluten free for? The first 2 years were rough for me, but now I don't even really think about it too much.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (07-16-12), LynneC (07-16-12), Unmanagable (07-17-12)
Old 07-16-12, 11:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

jace49 is a jewel in the roughjace49 is a jewel in the roughjace49 is a jewel in the rough

I have Ataxia, I've been Gluten Limited for about a 11/2 yrs, I have positive results, less allergies and immflamation. I'm sticking with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jace49 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-16-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-12, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Member

Pasta and Bread is a Italian staple, Rice pasta in bags is my pasta change and corn tortillas are my bread change. I'm not free of Gluten but I cut it down a lot.
The Following User Says Thank You to jace49 For This Useful Post:
LynneC (07-16-12)
Old 07-16-12, 01:43 PM

Thanked 4,312 Times in 2,016 Posts
LynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond reputeLynneC has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace49 View Post
Pasta and Bread is a Italian staple, Rice pasta in bags is my pasta change and corn tortillas are my bread change. I'm not free of Gluten but I cut it down a lot.
I have also experienced benefits from limiting gluten intake, including less IBS symptoms. I do not have the genetic markers for celiac or Crohn's, but I feel way better when I limit the gluten. Altough in my case, it may be the limiting of wheat as opposed to gluten that is causing the benefit.

In addition, after mostly eliminating wheat from my diet, and in general eating less carbohydrate from grain sources I have dropped about 15 lbs...
The Following User Says Thank You to LynneC For This Useful Post:
Unmanagable (07-17-12)
Old 07-16-12, 06:52 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

I was gluten free for a year with no notable improvement. I'm going to try again though, since my serotonin-deficiency induced IBS may have been masking any improvement. I was also dairy free for over a year with no improvement, yet, now I can tell you if there was dairy or egg in anything I eat b/c I'll be running for the bathroom without a doubt.
Old 07-17-12, 12:21 AM

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

If you still aren't feeling 100% you might think about taking digestive enzymes when you eat. That really helped me feel better. My doctor explained it that when you've been sick for so long, your intestines and such need to heal and are not working 100%. Digestive enzymes make their job easier and you feel less sick.

I also take probiotics and l-glutamine to promote healing.
The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyMonkey For This Useful Post:
Drewbacca (07-17-12)
Old 07-20-12, 09:21 AM

Thanked 4,908 Times in 2,127 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jace49 View Post
Try quinoa, wild rice and spelt bread
Old 07-20-12, 07:19 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
Try quinoa, wild rice and spelt bread
Spelt is questionable, depending on the allergy/intolerance issue.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7571865