ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-14, 01:28 PM

StayingOnTrack has a spectacular aura aboutStayingOnTrack has a spectacular aura about
Post Greetings to all, and my journey.

Hello! It's great to meet all of you. I've been watching these forums for some time and I feel like I could get a lot of great help from this community. However, you might want to get a drink and use the restroom before starting, this is a long one.

I'm 31 years old, and for the majority of my life (since the age of 8 or 9) I have been struggling with severe panic attacks, anxiety, and OCD. I never looked into it deeply about how genetics affect such a thing, but, the majority of my family also has these issues, especially my mother and grandfather.

My panic disorder manifests usually with the very swift and rapid attack, and usually lasts hours. In between these attacks, I usually was at a level of anxiety that made it impossible to eat or hold down food. After awhile when it became really severe and I was going without eating for days, we finally visited doctors. I had various tests, all kinds of things, and no one anywhere could ever find anything physically wrong with me.

Eventually, my mother who has all these conditions, but just didn't think it was going to happen to her child, especially starting that young, took me to a psychologist that she had been seeing for a large portion of her life.

After a few sessions and I eased into talking to this complete stranger about myself, without a doubt he picked up on what was going on. From that point forward, I was seeing him a few times a month, an although medicine was discussed, I never wanted to take any.

This, again, lead to having to leave high school, and eventually get my GED in place of it. After many years of being stuck in the house, anxiety up and down, problems on and off, I eventually gave in and started medication, which was Clonazepam at the time. It was the miracle drug that actually fixed the majority of my anxiety and panic issues and allowed me to get out and about. Things seemed so wonderful, I even applied to college, and got in!

After about two months into classes, something didn't seem right. I couldn't concentrate on what people were saying, even though I thought I was so clear headed now without the anxiety clouding my brain. I could never sit still, even though I was supposed to be relaxed on this medicine. I didn't feel anxious, but, I tapped my leg nonstop most of the time, or twirled my hair, or fidgeted with my clothes. I never felt comfortable just sitting still (something that I had an issue with since I was very young.)

I never turned in assignments on time. I procrastinated doing, literally, everything I was given by my professors. It wasn't for lack of trying. I would get so angry and try to force myself to just sit down and do the work, but within minutes I realized my mind had been somewhere else. Or I found an excuse to get up and go to the bathroom, walk to the kitchen, flip on a DVD randomly without thinking. I would do mostly anything but what I needed to do. If it seemed like a responsibility, or that I had a deadline and it was going to be work that I needed to just concentrate on, I just wouldn't or couldn't do it.

It didn't take long before I had failed out of college. I didn't know what was wrong. All my problems were solved, my anxiety was gone, I could eat regularly, I didn't feel terrified being around other people, I could sleep normally.

This is when, at the time, my psychiatrist brought up ADD to me and my mother. All I remember is seeing all my friends when I was younger in my late years of middle school, being on Ritalin because they were ADD. They'd come back after lunch from the nurses office and sleep for the rest of the day with their heads down. My families point of view was that it wasn't really a thing, it was just kids being kids who were loud and obnoxious (like me, but much worse.) I always trusted my mother, because she always made me feel safe and comforted about the anxiety and panic attacks, she understood and empathized. Her thoughts on ADD, were my thoughts on ADD. Regardless of what the doctor said, my mother knew what was what, and I wasn't one of the people who had it.

I never went on any ADD medications.

I went through several more psychologists into my late teens and early to mid twenties. Things were always brought up, 'bipolar', 'borderline personality', 'anger issues', and lots of other explanations for why I was the way I am. Never again did I consider even addressing or bringing up things like my procrastination, fidgeting, concentration issues, because, I thought this was exactly how a normal person was supposed to be. Everyone had to read a paragraph in a book 5 times because their mind would wander. Everyone couldn't bring themselves to do work and pass it in on time, everyone has a lazy streak, right?

One or two of the doctors, regardless of me never bringing it up, asked me if I had been diagnosed with ADD. I'd always say no, I just have panic disorder and I'm _________ (fill in the blank with whatever previous doctors had told me, anything but ADD.)

Now we're in my early twenties. I had been fired from several jobs for failure to show up, quitting, or constantly messing up at work. My anxiety and panic were mostly under control, but, I couldn't seem to hold a job. I thought, you know what, let me give college one last try, I'm getting older, all my friends have already graduated, and I can't even make minimum wage. I really was lost and didn't know what exactly I should have been doing, so I went to a community college.

After some years, I managed to actually graduate with an associates. After lots of withdrawals from classes, constant lateness, issues with assignments, needing to be in a quiet room to take tests (I had to ask the professors for this because even a pencil tapping would ruin my train of thought.) I had done it, all my problems were solved. I fully completed something, even if it took more than the normal amount of years. Now it's time to go back to that 4 year institution, and finally conquer it... with the help of too much Xanax, which is what I had been taking during these years.

I never made it back to the college for my bachelors. I put it off, and put it off, and put it off. I can look into it tomorrow, I'd tell myself, I have plenty of time. Xanax was running the show, now. Mad cause I can't concentrate on something? Take another Xanax. Having trouble reading this book? Take a few more Xanax, I'll calm down, things will seem better. The time between pills, as they had began happening in college, became shorter and shorter. Save up a few pills, take more later, feel even better. Suffer all day, then take a bunch at night, and feel amazing!

Inevitably, I didn't realize this addiction until it was too late. Finally I said no more, and stopped cold turkey. As many of you might know, that was probably the worst possible thing I could have done. After a hospital visit and having to be treated with phenobartital so I wouldn't have any seizures, I eventually got off Xanax, and was unmedicated fully.

Anxiety is back. Life is horrible. I need something, but, I don't want to be on a pill like that again, I can't 'trust' myself. I began drinking. It started a little at first, but after some months, it was morning to night. It helped ease the anxiety so I could eat, I didn't worry about things as much, and I felt ok. Shacked up in my family, I sat in my room, and drank and existed. My friends would stop by, and we would have some good times, but I was always drunk. If I went to their house, I was drunk. Went to a party, I they'd have to carry me to the car. I became that guy.

After some time, again, this needed to stop I realized. I had to go through detox at a hospital, and I was back to where I first started. I spent the next few years never leaving the house and developing pretty severe agoraphobia.

I'm in my late twenties, going on 30, and I have only an associates degree, no job, and I'm living with family. I began having suicidal thoughts and feelings, because, I figured I had just hit the end of the line. I had always done everything the doctors told me to do, tried all the medications they had offered, and read every book on conquering anxiety and self-help you could imagine.

I ended up going back to seeing my old psychologist, the same one I had started with and had been on and off with, but hadn't seen in many, many years, as I had given up. I told him, I need to find a solution today, and I just wanted to see if you had any before I ended my life. Trusting him, I went into a stay at a psychiatric hospital.

Now, remember: At this point, I'm a drug addict or seeker to doctors. I've had Xanax abuse, and a bout with alcoholism. I wasn't to be trusted with medicine. I didn't actually want any, but my psychologist, and family, were pushing for me to be back on something. The hospital actively refused to treat my anxiety, and I was in worse shape when I left, then when I went in. So, this was it for me, I thought.

If any of you know have a good psychologist or therapist that has helped you, then you know they can be a superhero in times of need. He spent over our session time in his office when I got out and saw him the day after calling places nonstop, until we found a place that specialized in anxiety. I couldn't get in with them that day, but he pulled some favors at a local clinic and had a doctor there evaluate me and give me a temporary supply of anxiety medication to tide me over until my actual appointment.

This got me back on track to the point where I wasn't suicidal anymore, and was willing to just let him take the wheel and find out why my life has ended up at this point.

The topic of ADD came back up. I still didn't really even think about it, as my life had become so routine in how it operated, I was just me, and ADD were other people. I absolutely didn't have it, we established it when I was younger, me and my mother definitely agreed.

He continually asked me, well, why don't you just try a medication such as Adderall, and see if anything happens. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep taking it, what's there to lose? I was older now, I mean, it made sense, just trying wouldn't hurt.

The next hurtle was my history haunting me again. On paper, I was a druggie. I had abused xanax. I had abused alcohol. I can't be trusted with medication, and especially not ADD medication, because apparently it would make my symptoms worse (as stated by the psychiatrist I was seeing at the time.) They refused to even give me a one day dose at my psychologists request just to evaluate me on it, and have him evaluate me on it.

Sound the batsignal again, he called around places nonstop until he found somewhere that actually specialized in ADD, and they told me to come right in. I figured, now how can a test determine if I'm ADD, I'm past my 20's now, even if I did have it, it's long gone.

The test turned out to be catastrophic. After the doctor reviewed the results of my test, and talked to me for a few hours about my life, habits, and schooling, she had a very sympathetic look on her face. I told her about my alcohol abuse, xanax abuse, my suicidal thoughts in the past, the unhealthy ways in which I deal with my anxiety from time to time, everything. I didn't really care what she thought or was gonna do, so I was just honest with her like my psychologist told me to be.

She told me point blank, without a doubt, I was severely ADD. I had all three issues, hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention. She showed me the test results, she showed me lists, diagrams. I didn't believe any of it really, as she spent quite a lot of time trying to explain what ADD was, and literally convince me I had it, when I knew I didn't. She did her best to give me a clear picture of what the disorder was, and that my previous psychiatrist obviously had no idea how ADD worked, or how ADD medications worked. Eventually, with nothing to lose, I walked out of the office with a prescription of Adderall, with strict instructions, and her keeping contact with my psychologist in case there were any problems.

I did some research on it before I even thought about taking the first pill. The internet was littered with all these horror stories. All the abusers, the people who take it for recreation, all this stuff that just made me want to try taking it even less. I didn't want to become victim again and abuse a substance. I had learned my lesson with the benzodiazepines, and although I was (and still am) back on xanax, I didn't abuse it. I wanted to abuse it, but, I had to try my hardest to stop myself from abusing it, like locking it up.

Here I am, having trouble with wanting to go back to alcohol, tempted daily by wanting to take more xanax than I should just to get a high feeling and be even happier, and I had what seemed like the most dangerous and backwards thing for me to be taking.

So I thought, fine, screw it. If this stuff is so great, I guess it'll save me from needing to abuse my xanax, I can just abuse this, right?

About an hour after taking my first dose of adderall (and all subsequent months since), something happened that was so alien to me, that I actually just sat in amazement for awhile. I felt... ok. The thoughts in my head had lined up, and were waiting their turn to address me. They weren't all trying to bust through my brain like the zombie apocalypse and pull my attention a thousand directions. Then I realized something even more strange.

I hadn't been tapping my leg at all, for the first time in probably 25 years.

But, the most amazing thing that happened? I suddenly had no inclination to abuse this medication. I sat there trying to work it out in my head: Wait a second, this is making me feel calm, collected, and generally good. I'm getting a good feeling from this thing. When I get good feelings from things, I want to take more of them, feel even better. I want to keep taking them so that this good feeling doesn't disappear.

I didn't feel that way at all. It's as if the feeling, or even the need that my brain always felt like it was forcing me to have, to abuse something, disappeared. I was content with just feeling the way I was. I didn't want this feeling to increase by taking more Adderall. After a few days, I realized those feelings I always had about wanting to take xanax in order to get higher, or just feel better... had also disappeared. I thought, well, this is clearly just temporary, once this wears off, I'll be able to think "clearly" (read: like I always have) and immediately want to start abusing this medicine. It's giving me this feeling, so, once it's gone, it has to come back, and surely this next time I'll need or want to take more, and feel even better.

But it never happened. I just went back to being... the old me, and I started to get the inklings slowly do the go-to and use my xanax, but not the Adderall for some reason. It didn't really enter my mind to take more Adderall to get that 'feeling' it gave me back. It's like I couldn't really fathom what the feeling was like anymore, and my brain wasn't pushing me to take anymore of it. It was pretty darn weird.

After my next visit with the ADD doctor, I addressed the fact that the Adderall wasn't lasting all day. In fact, it's only lasting about 4 hours before it begins to fade quickly. I assumed automatically that I was going to be treated like an addict looking for pills. To my surprise, she said, that sound about right. She said in some older patients she's seen it last as long as all day, but, for my body, it just only lasts 3 and a half to 4 hours roughly. I wasn't looking for a high she told me, that was just the reality of how long the drug was effective for me. So, the dose got upped to twice a day, and another reevaluation again after a few weeks.

Turns out she was right.

I was taking my Xanax on time every day, never wanting any more, and even able to skip a few on some days, because I was so calm. I began showing up to appointments on time. My room, which was always a mess since I was a child, suddenly, it was clean. I realized over time, I had just slowly picked things up as I came across them and threw them away, or organized a small bookshelf, instead of ignoring it or putting it off.

After a month, I was able to go down on my xanax dose, because I didn't need as much to stay calm and keep from panicking.

A former abuser, and still want-to-be abuser of xanax, and suddenly, I voluntarily on my own lowered my dose of it.

It really all came home when I went out with some friends I had reconnected with to a bar, and we began ordering, and of course, they knew the score. Since they hadn't seen me in awhile, they went ahead and ordered us a round of beers and shots, but, without even really thinking about it, I just said, "I'm good, water is fine. It's just good to see you guys."

I really can't describe the look on their face. They had came over to my house in the past when I was drinking, and I would always outdrink them. I always get blackout drunk. That was my thing, it's who I was, I couldn't control my drinking, and I definitely never refused a beer.

If you've read this far, I hope some of it was interesting, or maybe helped you see some patterns in yourself that maybe even we share.

Now I'm currently heading back to school in the fall, my anxiety is completely under control on the Xanax and Adderall (I'm even still working to go down on the Xanax even more.) I have quit drinking completely, I never have the feeling I want to abuse my medications anymore, and the vast majority of things that impeded my life are gone. I'm eating healthy, sleeping well and keeping a good schedule with it, and able to handle work and responsibility without feeling dread or putting it off and failing.

I doubt my story is a common one, and maybe it was just me personally that Adderall managed to give these effects to, but now I can't imagine life without it. The first time I said that sentence to myself, I thought "oh wait, I'm addicted." My psychologist explained to me in detail, there is no addiction in what I'm feeling. What I'm feeling is the same as a diabetic who has to take their insulin. I feel exactly the way I should feel, and, like a diabetic, this is, for me, a necessary medication to allow my brain to function the way it should. All I've ever known is 'addiction', but, now, I've accepted that medicine like Xanax and Adderall are just necessary in some cases.

While I don't know others experiences with ADD medications, Adderall was the only option for me as time-release medication doesn't work with my body for some reason (it eliminates very quickly or isn't very effective.) The doctor explained to me that some people, the way their bodies and stomach or intestines work, time-release medication is ineffective or washes out too fast.

To wrap this up, I'll also say any side effects I had from the Adderall (a bit of elevated pulse and blood pressure, heartburn, and mild headaches) wore off after a few weeks and never came back.

I hope that I didn't put you to sleep, and thanks for taking the time to read this far. I hope some of it was interesting, or maybe helped you see some patterns in yourself that maybe even we share that can help you identify problems. It's nice to meet all of you, and I hope everyone is doing great.

P.S. -- Funny thing? Turns out my mother is ADD, too, we discovered. Imagine that.
Old 07-06-14, 04:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

vpilar has a spectacular aura aboutvpilar has a spectacular aura about
Re: Greetings to all, and my journey.

Jeez! this is long! I think I'm gonna have to read it like a book, a few paragraphs each time! .. and when I'm done, I may say something .....
If I could find it through all of the other threads...

For now: Very welcome
The Following User Says Thank You to vpilar For This Useful Post:
StayingOnTrack (07-06-14)
Old 07-07-14, 06:01 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,657 Times in 14,615 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

This is very moving and really moves my heart. My heart truly goes out to you. So very many of us struggle with drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness. We try and numb the pain, even when we do not know the cause of the pain. We often have adhd or other mental health issues overlooked because doctors are so focused on addiction and their liability, they refuse to see the facts. The facts are that adhd people are more likely to have issues with drug abuse. That is an undisputed fact. Trying to organize very chaotic conditions within ourselves and externally turns many of us to drugs and alcohol. Many times those substances can have opposite effects. For me, I am an alcoholice (in recovery) and when I was drinking ( and man, it became my full time job at the expense of my family) I wasnt sloppy or dopey. I was almost more focused and social then when sober. This set up a pattern of abuse combined with my predisposed genetics that run rampant in my family.

You are not alone,
You are NOT: lazy,useless,evil,horrible,worthless, unworthy,unlovable,stupid, or undeserving. You are a lovely human and you deserve peace, hope and happiness.
xoxoxo
((big hugs))

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayingOnTrack View Post
Hello! It's great to meet all of you. I've been watching these forums for some time and I feel like I could get a lot of great help from this community. However, you might want to get a drink and use the restroom before starting, this is a long one.

I'm 31 years old, and for the majority of my life (since the age of 8 or 9) I have been struggling with severe panic attacks, anxiety, and OCD. I never looked into it deeply about how genetics affect such a thing, but, the majority of my family also has these issues, especially my mother and grandfather.

My panic disorder manifests usually with the very swift and rapid attack, and usually lasts hours. In between these attacks, I usually was at a level of anxiety that made it impossible to eat or hold down food. After awhile when it became really severe and I was going without eating for days, we finally visited doctors. I had various tests, all kinds of things, and no one anywhere could ever find anything physically wrong with me.

Eventually, my mother who has all these conditions, but just didn't think it was going to happen to her child, especially starting that young, took me to a psychologist that she had been seeing for a large portion of her life.

After a few sessions and I eased into talking to this complete stranger about myself, without a doubt he picked up on what was going on. From that point forward, I was seeing him a few times a month, an although medicine was discussed, I never wanted to take any.

This, again, lead to having to leave high school, and eventually get my GED in place of it. After many years of being stuck in the house, anxiety up and down, problems on and off, I eventually gave in and started medication, which was Clonazepam at the time. It was the miracle drug that actually fixed the majority of my anxiety and panic issues and allowed me to get out and about. Things seemed so wonderful, I even applied to college, and got in!

After about two months into classes, something didn't seem right. I couldn't concentrate on what people were saying, even though I thought I was so clear headed now without the anxiety clouding my brain. I could never sit still, even though I was supposed to be relaxed on this medicine. I didn't feel anxious, but, I tapped my leg nonstop most of the time, or twirled my hair, or fidgeted with my clothes. I never felt comfortable just sitting still (something that I had an issue with since I was very young.)

I never turned in assignments on time. I procrastinated doing, literally, everything I was given by my professors. It wasn't for lack of trying. I would get so angry and try to force myself to just sit down and do the work, but within minutes I realized my mind had been somewhere else. Or I found an excuse to get up and go to the bathroom, walk to the kitchen, flip on a DVD randomly without thinking. I would do mostly anything but what I needed to do. If it seemed like a responsibility, or that I had a deadline and it was going to be work that I needed to just concentrate on, I just wouldn't or couldn't do it.

It didn't take long before I had failed out of college. I didn't know what was wrong. All my problems were solved, my anxiety was gone, I could eat regularly, I didn't feel terrified being around other people, I could sleep normally.

This is when, at the time, my psychiatrist brought up ADD to me and my mother. All I remember is seeing all my friends when I was younger in my late years of middle school, being on Ritalin because they were ADD. They'd come back after lunch from the nurses office and sleep for the rest of the day with their heads down. My families point of view was that it wasn't really a thing, it was just kids being kids who were loud and obnoxious (like me, but much worse.) I always trusted my mother, because she always made me feel safe and comforted about the anxiety and panic attacks, she understood and empathized. Her thoughts on ADD, were my thoughts on ADD. Regardless of what the doctor said, my mother knew what was what, and I wasn't one of the people who had it.

I never went on any ADD medications.

I went through several more psychologists into my late teens and early to mid twenties. Things were always brought up, 'bipolar', 'borderline personality', 'anger issues', and lots of other explanations for why I was the way I am. Never again did I consider even addressing or bringing up things like my procrastination, fidgeting, concentration issues, because, I thought this was exactly how a normal person was supposed to be. Everyone had to read a paragraph in a book 5 times because their mind would wander. Everyone couldn't bring themselves to do work and pass it in on time, everyone has a lazy streak, right?

One or two of the doctors, regardless of me never bringing it up, asked me if I had been diagnosed with ADD. I'd always say no, I just have panic disorder and I'm _________ (fill in the blank with whatever previous doctors had told me, anything but ADD.)

Now we're in my early twenties. I had been fired from several jobs for failure to show up, quitting, or constantly messing up at work. My anxiety and panic were mostly under control, but, I couldn't seem to hold a job. I thought, you know what, let me give college one last try, I'm getting older, all my friends have already graduated, and I can't even make minimum wage. I really was lost and didn't know what exactly I should have been doing, so I went to a community college.

After some years, I managed to actually graduate with an associates. After lots of withdrawals from classes, constant lateness, issues with assignments, needing to be in a quiet room to take tests (I had to ask the professors for this because even a pencil tapping would ruin my train of thought.) I had done it, all my problems were solved. I fully completed something, even if it took more than the normal amount of years. Now it's time to go back to that 4 year institution, and finally conquer it... with the help of too much Xanax, which is what I had been taking during these years.

I never made it back to the college for my bachelors. I put it off, and put it off, and put it off. I can look into it tomorrow, I'd tell myself, I have plenty of time. Xanax was running the show, now. Mad cause I can't concentrate on something? Take another Xanax. Having trouble reading this book? Take a few more Xanax, I'll calm down, things will seem better. The time between pills, as they had began happening in college, became shorter and shorter. Save up a few pills, take more later, feel even better. Suffer all day, then take a bunch at night, and feel amazing!

Inevitably, I didn't realize this addiction until it was too late. Finally I said no more, and stopped cold turkey. As many of you might know, that was probably the worst possible thing I could have done. After a hospital visit and having to be treated with phenobartital so I wouldn't have any seizures, I eventually got off Xanax, and was unmedicated fully.

Anxiety is back. Life is horrible. I need something, but, I don't want to be on a pill like that again, I can't 'trust' myself. I began drinking. It started a little at first, but after some months, it was morning to night. It helped ease the anxiety so I could eat, I didn't worry about things as much, and I felt ok. Shacked up in my family, I sat in my room, and drank and existed. My friends would stop by, and we would have some good times, but I was always drunk. If I went to their house, I was drunk. Went to a party, I they'd have to carry me to the car. I became that guy.

After some time, again, this needed to stop I realized. I had to go through detox at a hospital, and I was back to where I first started. I spent the next few years never leaving the house and developing pretty severe agoraphobia.

I'm in my late twenties, going on 30, and I have only an associates degree, no job, and I'm living with family. I began having suicidal thoughts and feelings, because, I figured I had just hit the end of the line. I had always done everything the doctors told me to do, tried all the medications they had offered, and read every book on conquering anxiety and self-help you could imagine.

I ended up going back to seeing my old psychologist, the same one I had started with and had been on and off with, but hadn't seen in many, many years, as I had given up. I told him, I need to find a solution today, and I just wanted to see if you had any before I ended my life. Trusting him, I went into a stay at a psychiatric hospital.

Now, remember: At this point, I'm a drug addict or seeker to doctors. I've had Xanax abuse, and a bout with alcoholism. I wasn't to be trusted with medicine. I didn't actually want any, but my psychologist, and family, were pushing for me to be back on something. The hospital actively refused to treat my anxiety, and I was in worse shape when I left, then when I went in. So, this was it for me, I thought.

If any of you know have a good psychologist or therapist that has helped you, then you know they can be a superhero in times of need. He spent over our session time in his office when I got out and saw him the day after calling places nonstop, until we found a place that specialized in anxiety. I couldn't get in with them that day, but he pulled some favors at a local clinic and had a doctor there evaluate me and give me a temporary supply of anxiety medication to tide me over until my actual appointment.

This got me back on track to the point where I wasn't suicidal anymore, and was willing to just let him take the wheel and find out why my life has ended up at this point.

The topic of ADD came back up. I still didn't really even think about it, as my life had become so routine in how it operated, I was just me, and ADD were other people. I absolutely didn't have it, we established it when I was younger, me and my mother definitely agreed.

He continually asked me, well, why don't you just try a medication such as Adderall, and see if anything happens. If you don't like it, you don't have to keep taking it, what's there to lose? I was older now, I mean, it made sense, just trying wouldn't hurt.

The next hurtle was my history haunting me again. On paper, I was a druggie. I had abused xanax. I had abused alcohol. I can't be trusted with medication, and especially not ADD medication, because apparently it would make my symptoms worse (as stated by the psychiatrist I was seeing at the time.) They refused to even give me a one day dose at my psychologists request just to evaluate me on it, and have him evaluate me on it.

Sound the batsignal again, he called around places nonstop until he found somewhere that actually specialized in ADD, and they told me to come right in. I figured, now how can a test determine if I'm ADD, I'm past my 20's now, even if I did have it, it's long gone.

The test turned out to be catastrophic. After the doctor reviewed the results of my test, and talked to me for a few hours about my life, habits, and schooling, she had a very sympathetic look on her face. I told her about my alcohol abuse, xanax abuse, my suicidal thoughts in the past, the unhealthy ways in which I deal with my anxiety from time to time, everything. I didn't really care what she thought or was gonna do, so I was just honest with her like my psychologist told me to be.

She told me point blank, without a doubt, I was severely ADD. I had all three issues, hyperactivity, impulsivity, and inattention. She showed me the test results, she showed me lists, diagrams. I didn't believe any of it really, as she spent quite a lot of time trying to explain what ADD was, and literally convince me I had it, when I knew I didn't. She did her best to give me a clear picture of what the disorder was, and that my previous psychiatrist obviously had no idea how ADD worked, or how ADD medications worked. Eventually, with nothing to lose, I walked out of the office with a prescription of Adderall, with strict instructions, and her keeping contact with my psychologist in case there were any problems.

I did some research on it before I even thought about taking the first pill. The internet was littered with all these horror stories. All the abusers, the people who take it for recreation, all this stuff that just made me want to try taking it even less. I didn't want to become victim again and abuse a substance. I had learned my lesson with the benzodiazepines, and although I was (and still am) back on xanax, I didn't abuse it. I wanted to abuse it, but, I had to try my hardest to stop myself from abusing it, like locking it up.

Here I am, having trouble with wanting to go back to alcohol, tempted daily by wanting to take more xanax than I should just to get a high feeling and be even happier, and I had what seemed like the most dangerous and backwards thing for me to be taking.

So I thought, fine, screw it. If this stuff is so great, I guess it'll save me from needing to abuse my xanax, I can just abuse this, right?

About an hour after taking my first dose of adderall (and all subsequent months since), something happened that was so alien to me, that I actually just sat in amazement for awhile. I felt... ok. The thoughts in my head had lined up, and were waiting their turn to address me. They weren't all trying to bust through my brain like the zombie apocalypse and pull my attention a thousand directions. Then I realized something even more strange.

I hadn't been tapping my leg at all, for the first time in probably 25 years.

But, the most amazing thing that happened? I suddenly had no inclination to abuse this medication. I sat there trying to work it out in my head: Wait a second, this is making me feel calm, collected, and generally good. I'm getting a good feeling from this thing. When I get good feelings from things, I want to take more of them, feel even better. I want to keep taking them so that this good feeling doesn't disappear.

I didn't feel that way at all. It's as if the feeling, or even the need that my brain always felt like it was forcing me to have, to abuse something, disappeared. I was content with just feeling the way I was. I didn't want this feeling to increase by taking more Adderall. After a few days, I realized those feelings I always had about wanting to take xanax in order to get higher, or just feel better... had also disappeared. I thought, well, this is clearly just temporary, once this wears off, I'll be able to think "clearly" (read: like I always have) and immediately want to start abusing this medicine. It's giving me this feeling, so, once it's gone, it has to come back, and surely this next time I'll need or want to take more, and feel even better.

But it never happened. I just went back to being... the old me, and I started to get the inklings slowly do the go-to and use my xanax, but not the Adderall for some reason. It didn't really enter my mind to take more Adderall to get that 'feeling' it gave me back. It's like I couldn't really fathom what the feeling was like anymore, and my brain wasn't pushing me to take anymore of it. It was pretty darn weird.

After my next visit with the ADD doctor, I addressed the fact that the Adderall wasn't lasting all day. In fact, it's only lasting about 4 hours before it begins to fade quickly. I assumed automatically that I was going to be treated like an addict looking for pills. To my surprise, she said, that sound about right. She said in some older patients she's seen it last as long as all day, but, for my body, it just only lasts 3 and a half to 4 hours roughly. I wasn't looking for a high she told me, that was just the reality of how long the drug was effective for me. So, the dose got upped to twice a day, and another reevaluation again after a few weeks.

Turns out she was right.

I was taking my Xanax on time every day, never wanting any more, and even able to skip a few on some days, because I was so calm. I began showing up to appointments on time. My room, which was always a mess since I was a child, suddenly, it was clean. I realized over time, I had just slowly picked things up as I came across them and threw them away, or organized a small bookshelf, instead of ignoring it or putting it off.

After a month, I was able to go down on my xanax dose, because I didn't need as much to stay calm and keep from panicking.

A former abuser, and still want-to-be abuser of xanax, and suddenly, I voluntarily on my own lowered my dose of it.

It really all came home when I went out with some friends I had reconnected with to a bar, and we began ordering, and of course, they knew the score. Since they hadn't seen me in awhile, they went ahead and ordered us a round of beers and shots, but, without even really thinking about it, I just said, "I'm good, water is fine. It's just good to see you guys."

I really can't describe the look on their face. They had came over to my house in the past when I was drinking, and I would always outdrink them. I always get blackout drunk. That was my thing, it's who I was, I couldn't control my drinking, and I definitely never refused a beer.

If you've read this far, I hope some of it was interesting, or maybe helped you see some patterns in yourself that maybe even we share.

Now I'm currently heading back to school in the fall, my anxiety is completely under control on the Xanax and Adderall (I'm even still working to go down on the Xanax even more.) I have quit drinking completely, I never have the feeling I want to abuse my medications anymore, and the vast majority of things that impeded my life are gone. I'm eating healthy, sleeping well and keeping a good schedule with it, and able to handle work and responsibility without feeling dread or putting it off and failing.

I doubt my story is a common one, and maybe it was just me personally that Adderall managed to give these effects to, but now I can't imagine life without it. The first time I said that sentence to myself, I thought "oh wait, I'm addicted." My psychologist explained to me in detail, there is no addiction in what I'm feeling. What I'm feeling is the same as a diabetic who has to take their insulin. I feel exactly the way I should feel, and, like a diabetic, this is, for me, a necessary medication to allow my brain to function the way it should. All I've ever known is 'addiction', but, now, I've accepted that medicine like Xanax and Adderall are just necessary in some cases.

While I don't know others experiences with ADD medications, Adderall was the only option for me as time-release medication doesn't work with my body for some reason (it eliminates very quickly or isn't very effective.) The doctor explained to me that some people, the way their bodies and stomach or intestines work, time-release medication is ineffective or washes out too fast.

To wrap this up, I'll also say any side effects I had from the Adderall (a bit of elevated pulse and blood pressure, heartburn, and mild headaches) wore off after a few weeks and never came back.

I hope that I didn't put you to sleep, and thanks for taking the time to read this far. I hope some of it was interesting, or maybe helped you see some patterns in yourself that maybe even we share that can help you identify problems. It's nice to meet all of you, and I hope everyone is doing great.

P.S. -- Funny thing? Turns out my mother is ADD, too, we discovered. Imagine that.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
StayingOnTrack (07-07-14)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-14, 11:08 AM
ADDvanced Member

Meteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the roughMeteodan is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for sharing your moving story! I'm very happy to hear that you are turning your life around and have finally received the help you need. While I don't (seemingly) have nearly as severe ADHD as you do, I've dealt with many of the same issues you've had on a smaller scale. I'm 34, and recently diagnosed earlier this Spring. Just like you described, when I first started on medication (at least the one that finally worked!), it was like a veil had been lifted from my mind, and I could think clearly and evenly for what seemed like the first time in my life. I felt calm and my normal "background" anxiety all but disappeared.

And yes, your post was long, but I read the whole thing steadily in one sitting. Before treatment, that would have been a monumental, even impossible task for me!

Welcome to the forums!
The Following User Says Thank You to Meteodan For This Useful Post:
StayingOnTrack (07-07-14)
Old 07-07-14, 12:24 PM

StayingOnTrack has a spectacular aura aboutStayingOnTrack has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Greetings to all, and my journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteodan View Post
Thanks for sharing your moving story! I'm very happy to hear that you are turning your life around and have finally received the help you need. While I don't (seemingly) have nearly as severe ADHD as you do, I've dealt with many of the same issues you've had on a smaller scale. I'm 34, and recently diagnosed earlier this Spring. Just like you described, when I first started on medication (at least the one that finally worked!), it was like a veil had been lifted from my mind, and I could think clearly and evenly for what seemed like the first time in my life. I felt calm and my normal "background" anxiety all but disappeared.

And yes, your post was long, but I read the whole thing steadily in one sitting. Before treatment, that would have been a monumental, even impossible task for me!

Welcome to the forums!
Before treatment, WRITING it would have been an impossible task for me!

Thanks so much for your kind words and nice to meet you.
The Following User Says Thank You to StayingOnTrack For This Useful Post:
Meteodan (07-07-14)
Old 07-07-14, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
This is very moving and really moves my heart. My heart truly goes out to you. So very many of us struggle with drug and alcohol abuse and mental illness. We try and numb the pain, even when we do not know the cause of the pain. We often have adhd or other mental health issues overlooked because doctors are so focused on addiction and their liability, they refuse to see the facts. The facts are that adhd people are more likely to have issues with drug abuse. That is an undisputed fact. Trying to organize very chaotic conditions within ourselves and externally turns many of us to drugs and alcohol. Many times those substances can have opposite effects. For me, I am an alcoholice (in recovery) and when I was drinking ( and man, it became my full time job at the expense of my family) I wasnt sloppy or dopey. I was almost more focused and social then when sober. This set up a pattern of abuse combined with my predisposed genetics that run rampant in my family.

You are not alone,
You are NOT: lazy,useless,evil,horrible,worthless, unworthy,unlovable,stupid, or undeserving. You are a lovely human and you deserve peace, hope and happiness.
xoxoxo
((big hugs))
Thank you so much, it always helps to hear I'm not broken, just different. If it wasn't for my wonderful psychologist I probably wouldn't have been able to find such a wonderful ADHD specialist. Now that I'm on the Adderall, and researched it and talked to others about it, I've discovered the stigma that comes along with it. The three reactions are usually either an ADHD person who understands, a non-ADHD person who has abused them and thinks I 'hit the jackpot', or non-ADHD people who think I am an abuser myself because of the negative press they've read on the drug.

I decided I'm just going to keep my ADHD and medication information to myself among the rest of my friends, because it just seems most people don't understand.

I'm really sorry to hear about your past, and definitely you know I understand, but I hope you're doing really wonderful now.
Old 07-07-14, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpilar View Post
Jeez! this is long! I think I'm gonna have to read it like a book, a few paragraphs each time! .. and when I'm done, I may say something .....
If I could find it through all of the other threads...

For now: Very welcome
Just giving me a kind welcome is good enough for me. Thanks!