ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Wellbutrin
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Wellbutrin (bupropion hcl)

Old 07-17-18, 08:46 PM
Committee Member

euboea67 is on a distinguished road
How was being on welbutrin impacted your ability to date and make friends?

Just curious - Iím on Wellbutrin and I think itís impacted me in this area, especially when it comes to trying while going through the initial side effects
Old 07-18-18, 06:57 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,561 Times in 861 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: How was being on welbutrin impacted your ability to date and make friends?

I am on Wellbutrin. Can you give specific examples?
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 07-18-18, 07:25 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by euboea67 View Post
Just curious - Iím on Wellbutrin and I think itís impacted me in this area, especially when it comes to trying while going through the initial side effects
Are you talking about sexual side effects? Or about how it affect your ability to socialize?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-18, 04:34 PM
Committee Member

I'm talking about ability to socialize
Old 07-22-18, 03:52 PM

finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that it has caused me to have restricted emotions in some ways. I'm never very high nor very low in mood and I'm can be blase about things. I really don't have close friends and though it is bothering me more now than it had so I've attended and joined more Meetups, I've gotten so used to not having a group of girlfriends and chatting on the phone (a long story having nothing to do with Wellbutrin) that it feels normal. I haven't sought to date in years but am seriously considering it.

However,

I did go on an official (I think) date a few weeks ago. I met a guy at the pool at our apartment complex, started talking and found that we have similar jobs so on we chatted about it and then other things. He asked if I wanted to go out that evening (it was already 7 pm ) and I said yes. We went to dinner and it was nice. We have significant differences in religion so any of the other things pale so no love connection but for me, it was a huge leap into getting a normal life.

Wellbutrin has helped keep me out of the pit of MDD so I see it as helping me get to a point that I'm even considering dating and wanting to go- and actually going to more Meetups.

Old 07-22-18, 04:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by euboea67 View Post
I'm talking about ability to socialize
It's considered to be a "stimulating" antidepressant, so in theory it'd could help provide a boost of energy, if that's what you need in order to socialize.

Just my experience - didn't seem to have much noticeable effect on me, besides making my hands tremor.
Old 07-23-18, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
It's considered to be a "stimulating" antidepressant, so in theory it'd could help provide a boost of energy, if that's what you need in order to socialize.

Just my experience - didn't seem to have much noticeable effect on me, besides making my hands tremor.

My hands tremor too! Sometimes it's worse than others.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (07-24-18)
Old 07-24-18, 03:56 PM
Committee Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finallyfound10 View Post
I think that it has caused me to have restricted emotions in some ways. I'm never very high nor very low in mood and I'm can be blase about things. I really don't have close friends and though it is bothering me more now than it had so I've attended and joined more Meetups, I've gotten so used to not having a group of girlfriends and chatting on the phone (a long story having nothing to do with Wellbutrin) that it feoels normal. I haven't sought to date in years but am seriously considering it.

However,

I did go on an official (I think) date a few weeks ago. I met a guy at the pool at our apartment complex, started talking and found that we have similar jobs so on we chatted about it and then other things. He asked if I wanted to go out that evening (it was already 7 pm ) and I said yes. We went to dinner and it was nice. We have significant differences in religion so any of the other things pale so no love connection but for me, it was a huge leap into getting a normal life.

Wellbutrin has helped keep me out of the pit of MDD so I see it as helping me get to a point that I'm even considering dating and wanting to go- and actually going to more Meetups.
The last person I tried to date (a friend who i'd been into for a while) I went back on the antidepressants at the same time. So it wasn't the normal effect that was affecting me, it was the side effects you get during the first two to three weeks. Fun time.