ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Inattentive ADD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Inattentive ADD A forum set aside for the the discussion of inattention and inattentive ADD

Old 02-18-10, 08:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

dude102 has a spectacular aura aboutdude102 has a spectacular aura about
Anxiety triggered motivation

Has anyone gone from vegetated states, thats utterly unproductive, to being very motivated and productive by situations that trigger anxiety? I find i'm able to think a lot clearer, faster, and accurately when I have something to worry about (like tests), than if I'm worry free and expected to complete things whenever. I also notice my mood improving this way.
The Following User Says Thank You to dude102 For This Useful Post:
Pensosa (02-22-10)
Old 02-18-10, 10:43 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Anxiety triggered motivation

Yeah. Lightswitch motivation - on/off. Wish I could control it!

Re: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76433
Old 02-18-10, 10:47 PM
Forum Guru

Thanked 1,022 Times in 360 Posts
Schroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of lightSchroeder is a glorious beacon of light

Oh also, I've found that clarifying the tasks at hand helps clear the vegetative state. It's not as motivating as avoidance behavior or anxiety, but it definitely helps. At work I sometimes have to do some really boring things and it's like my brain's energy meter drops to the "molasses" setting, but the MOMENT I get something more interesting to do, the motivation lightswitch flicks back up and I'm rolling again.

So I have a physical reaction to things I perceive as boring or vague. Clearly defining the desired outcome of the task and the very next physical action helps me a bunch in terms of getting my brain moving again. Doing that requires energy though, and it's sometimes hard to do that throughout the day, especially if I'm tired. What works really well is doing all that planning the night before so that I can just kill clearly-defined tasks throughout the day and not have to make too many clarifying-type of decisions.

Most people yawn when they do boring things...we get dumber
ADHDTigger (02-19-10), Pensosa (02-22-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-10, 12:54 PM
Jr Member

Laynz is on a distinguished road

I'm in a rush to get to work every morning. It doesn't matter what time I get up, I can never get out of the house when I need to. Anxiety gives me the motivation to get moving. I actually crave the rush of adrenaline and I feel like I require it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Laynz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-19-10)
Old 02-19-10, 12:56 PM

hangar is on a distinguished road

There's two different types of motivation: that energy to do less-important things when something's looming (avoidance cleaning), and the burst of energy you get when you realize you have a midterm in 20 mins.
The Following User Says Thank You to hangar For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-19-10)
Old 02-19-10, 04:20 PM
ADDvanced Member

losethefire will become famous soon enough

Absolutely. The physiological response to stress or anxiety can actually affect the same neurotransmitters that stimulants target. It makes perfect sense to me, and explains why I'm able to sit in a chair and write an essay for 7 hours straight, but ONLY when the paper is due the next morning...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to losethefire For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-19-10), Kiri (02-25-10), Laynz (02-22-10)
Old 02-19-10, 11:31 PM

Missi will become famous soon enough

I really thought I was the only one. For 25 years, when I get ready for work or to go somewhere, I am in a constant heightened/anxious state, regardless of how much time I have, to the point of sweating a bit, winter or summer. And yes, am always late so the car ride is always a speedrace and ends with running towards the doors of work. I really thought no one else did this. I like this board.
The Following User Says Thank You to Missi For This Useful Post:
Laynz (02-22-10)
Old 02-20-10, 03:31 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by losethefire View Post
Absolutely. The physiological response to stress or anxiety can actually affect the same neurotransmitters that stimulants target. It makes perfect sense to me, and explains why I'm able to sit in a chair and write an essay for 7 hours straight, but ONLY when the paper is due the next morning...

That's BS though... it seems that my mood actually improves the less I relax. If I relax and try to not think, my motivation decreases, thinking decreases, memory gets crappy, depression increases... does this happen to people?

So basically, compared to normal people, we cannot relax or we get completely nothing done. My friend who is NT says that he gets work done w/ anxiety but he gets far more work done than me... ****
Old 02-20-10, 03:56 AM

calavera is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude102 View Post
That's BS though... it seems that my mood actually improves the less I relax. If I relax and try to not think, my motivation decreases, thinking decreases, memory gets crappy, depression increases... does this happen to people?

So basically, compared to normal people, we cannot relax or we get completely nothing done. My friend who is NT says that he gets work done w/ anxiety but he gets far more work done than me... ****
This basically describes me, except that I only know the concept of relaxing intellectually, not from personal experience. I never get to a relaxed state because of the things you mention, but my thinking doesn't decrease, it continues jumping around and keeps me from relaxing.
Old 02-20-10, 04:55 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calavera View Post
This basically describes me, except that I only know the concept of relaxing intellectually, not from personal experience. I never get to a relaxed state because of the things you mention, but my thinking doesn't decrease, it continues jumping around and keeps me from relaxing.
You know what I mean by going into depression by not thinking right? Like by not focusing on something, the mind seems to wander into dark alleys and thats when I get into a depressive state.

Also doesn't this contradict the purpose of meditation?? I was trying to clear my mind of racing thoughts, and by doing so, I end up worse than where I first started!
Old 02-21-10, 03:47 AM

calavera is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You know what I mean by going into depression by not thinking right? Like by not focusing on something, the mind seems to wander into dark alleys and thats when I get into a depressive state.

Also doesn't this contradict the purpose of meditation?? I was trying to clear my mind of racing thoughts, and by doing so, I end up worse than where I first started!
yes that sounds more familiar to me. if i don't have something to put my attention on i definitely get depressed.

as far as the meditation thing goes, have you tried mindfullness? I've just been starting to try it with my psychologist, and the good thing about it is that you do focus/concentrate on something. Basically you focus on one particular part of your body, or sounds you hear, etc. It helps you not have racing thoughts but also focus on something so you're not getting bored/depressed. Seems like good concentration practice as well.
Old 02-21-10, 03:38 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calavera View Post
yes that sounds more familiar to me. if i don't have something to put my attention on i definitely get depressed.

as far as the meditation thing goes, have you tried mindfullness? I've just been starting to try it with my psychologist, and the good thing about it is that you do focus/concentrate on something. Basically you focus on one particular part of your body, or sounds you hear, etc. It helps you not have racing thoughts but also focus on something so you're not getting bored/depressed. Seems like good concentration practice as well.

How would that work? No i haven't tried something like that yet... my psychologist didn't really give me much info besides "Put your worries in a box" and put it away. I'm gonna cancel next weeks appointment.
Old 02-21-10, 04:16 PM
ADDvanced Member

losethefire will become famous soon enough

Quote:

How is it BS? I've been studying the stress response for about a week now and don't see how anything I've said is wrong. Just anecdotal?
Old 02-21-10, 04:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by losethefire View Post
How is it BS? I've been studying the stress response for about a week now and don't see how anything I've said is wrong. Just anecdotal?

I mean its bull how this has to happen to us.
Old 02-21-10, 08:43 PM
Contributor

ADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really nice

This prompted me to ask, is motivation a reaction ,emotion or desire?