ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 06-07-18, 09:29 PM
Jr Member

MartinB is on a distinguished road
Accountability as an Accommodation

Hi!

I am struggling with organization and time-management. I think having someone who checks in with me daily and helps me with organization would help me a lot.

I tried teaming up with someone else who has ADHD and being accountability buddies but it didn't work out very well. The ideal accountability buddy is someone who is very organized, basically the opposite of someone who has ADHD.

I spoke with HR about this and they said it might be possible to get help with this as a workplace accommodation. My company already has a small team of people that assist employees with disabilities (mostly for blind people). However, I would have to make the request very concrete.

What do you think about this idea? Has anyone here tried something like this?

Any ideas how I can make the request more concrete? Is there maybe a specific system that has been used in research studies?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinB For This Useful Post:
namazu (06-07-18), peripatetic (06-08-18)
Old 06-08-18, 04:27 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,440 Times in 15,031 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Accountability as an Accommodation

Does your employer already know about your disabilities?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 06-08-18, 04:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,190 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I think no. Here's my reason. I've been sacked from every job I've ever had except this one. But in this one I've been able to move around to different areas.

Disclosing adhd is something I do but in light of having been sacked so many times I'm very conscious about what kind of accomodation I ask for and how that can be used against me.

I will ask for help with learning and understanding procedures and legislation but not with being accountable. I use outlook to remind me and I meet my deadlines because they may see that learning difficulties are disability but accountability could be seen as attitudinal.

And I get a lot of accomodation because of my good attitude. They know I am self aware and how hard I try so I get a lot of consideration and understanding.

Up to you though as I live in a different country with a different culture so what I say may not be relevant to your situation at all.
Old 06-08-18, 12:16 PM
Jr Member

MartinB is on a distinguished road

I have disclosed to HR. I was afraid of getting fired and doing so gave me some legal protections, but right now the situation is better. I have not told my manager or anyone on my team.

My company is trying to be inclusive, even if you request an accommodation which involves your manager they would only tell them that you have a need for the accommodation but not why.
Old 06-08-18, 06:35 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,190 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Totally different rights and protections too it seems. Good luck at least it sounds like they can't hold it against you so that's good.