ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-18, 04:27 PM
Jr Member

hipsterdoofus is on a distinguished road
Any tips for following multi-step directions?

I'm currently in a lab course and am having the same troubles I've always had in lab courses. I'm provided a written list of directions for an experiment, yet I somehow always fail to do them in order, do them correctly, and simply sort out the directions in my head. It's kind of like my brain gets overwhelmed by all of the steps and then I have trouble getting started. Typical ADHD, I guess. Does anyone have tips for how to combat this? I'd really like to improve my lab skills this semester.
Old 09-05-18, 06:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,868 Times in 1,992 Posts
acdc01 has disabled reputation
Re: Any tips for following multi-step directions?

So the list is written and in sequential order? If so, would it help to highlight/cross out what you finished as you go along. That way you can see exactly where the highlight ends so start at the task right after that?
Old 09-05-18, 07:35 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

Don't you have a lab partner? I found that I had to frequently ask others for help in figuring out exactly how to go about science lab procedures. If lab partner isn't more knowledgeable, ask others and if necessary, watch what they are doing. Quite often the written-out lab procedures we had were inadequate and confusing. For one lab, one single person in the lab knew how to do it. The rest of us followed his procedure. Might help to look at the written procedure the day before so you can try to figure it out.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-18, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

diced is a jewel in the roughdiced is a jewel in the roughdiced is a jewel in the rough

When reading through the exercises, try to form a habit.

Maybe make some lists:
1. Preperations: What do you need.
2. Expected results: What do you record, when, where.

Perform the "motions", so you know when you might get distracted, or need something new, (this way, it is not unexpected anymore)

Ask before things get out of hand. That's what tutors (or assistents or whatever you call them are for)