ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-02-18, 10:54 PM

teenuh216 is on a distinguished road
Post Is Adderall IR really PRN??

I was told Adderall IR is fine PRN, but now I'm getting mixed reviews. People are saying you need to take it daily for a period of time to see if it works, and to allow your body to get used to it.

I'm bringing my dose down to 7.5mg tomorrow to see if it helps. I was getting headache-like symptoms. Not unbearable and not throbbing. Just felt like something wasn't right upstairs.

I tried: 30, 22.5, and it varies on 15mg whether or not I get a headache.
The point is, I have not been taking the med daily. in fact, there have been several days in between.

Also, do you guys take it on an empty stomach? I have called two different pharmacists and each tells me different things.

Pharmacist #1: Take on an empty stomach and wait 60 mins before eating. They also said a headache was normal in the beginning and I need to allow my body to adjust and to take daily to allow it to happen.

Pharmacist #2: Take with food and headaches aren't normal.
Old 09-03-18, 12:23 AM
Mind Racing Moderator

Thanked 14,832 Times in 7,138 Posts
Greyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond reputeGreyhound1 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is Adderall IR really PRN??

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenuh216 View Post
I was told Adderall IR is fine PRN, but now I'm getting mixed reviews. People are saying you need to take it daily for a period of time to see if it works, and to allow your body to get used to it.

I'm bringing my dose down to 7.5mg tomorrow to see if it helps. I was getting headache-like symptoms. Not unbearable and not throbbing. Just felt like something wasn't right upstairs.

The point is, I have not been taking the med daily. in fact, there have been several days in between.

Also, do you guys take it on an empty stomach? I have called two different pharmacists and each tells me different things.

Pharmacist #1: Take on an empty stomach and wait 60 mins before eating. They also said a headache was normal in the beginning and I need to allow my body to adjust and to take daily to allow it to happen.

Welcome to the forum!

From my experience and my Drs. recommendations, Pharmacist 1 is correct for most people.

I was told to begin my dose on empty stomach 60 mins. prior to eating a protein based meal. I had headaches at first and also found out how important staying hydrated is. Headache was mild to moderate and consistent for less than a week.

They subsided as long as I long as I stay hydrated. Now, I take my morning dose with at least 20-30 oz. of water and keep drinking more throughout the day and rarely have any headaches since.

Also, avoiding caffeine may greatly help.
Old 09-03-18, 02:59 AM

benito is on a distinguished road

Quote:

How about with 7.5mg today? better?

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg and effexor xr 150mg

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 100mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 100mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-18, 07:11 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,950 Times in 14,766 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I believe in taking it daily because adhd causes daily impairments. If it didnt it wouldnt be adhd.
Quote:
Yes and no. I had gastric bypass ten years ago and because of absorption issues and the smaller stomach I am starving when I get up. I tend to eat right away but only something small and take my meds. Both happen in the first 10 minutes of being awake. That is not to say I dont have days where I dont eat for an hour but take my meds on an empty stomach. In both cases I do not notice a difference.

Quote:

Sometimes I think what pharmacists say is subjective.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-03-18, 01:14 PM

Yeah, that is what I was guessing too, but I wasn't sure. My psychiatrist said people only use this PRN, and this is what I wanted. To only use it at school, but then I would forget to take it, or self medicate with coffee and go days or weeks without taking. So, it was like I was starting over.
Old 09-03-18, 01:15 PM

7.5mg today isn't working either. Still feel jittery, but I'm not shakey. Hard to explain. Ugh.
Old 09-14-18, 12:26 AM

Kungfuninja is on a distinguished road

I got headaches when I first started Adderral (thereís a post on here somewhere) and found that a few things triggered it:

-skipping coffee. I donít need the caffeine, but I get a headache if I donít have any. I only drink half a cup per day, but skipping it is not an option.
-I get headache and nausea if I donít eat with my morning dose. I need at least a bit of food (a pop tart is enough if Iím in a hurry) and at least 1-2 cups of water either before or right after I take the Adderrall.
-my dose was too high, I went down just a bit and it helped

My doctor prescribed it PRN and has emphasized that I should only take it when I need to get ***** done. I donít take it on pms days because itís ineffective anyway (doctor agrees), and I skip it on days when Iím doing all people facing work because thatís the one situation my adhd has never been a problem (Iím a high energy extrovert, so itís easy to mask any symptoms that might arise). I end up averaging about 4-5 days per week. I like taking off days because I donít want to get addicted and taking a day off makes me feel safer.