ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-18, 02:27 AM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBL07 View Post
I love driving and have no issues doing it. Even drove as a job for many years with zero issues.
In the past, I didn't like driving much, and especially if there was a lot of traffic, I always felt a little jittery.

And my mind tended to wander a little sometimes, too, so that about seven or eight years ago, I went through a stop sign into oncoming traffic and was hit by another car. Both my own car and that of the driver who hit me were totaled and I got a scalp laceration that had to be stitched up in the emergency room. The driver of the other car suffered a broken arm. It's lucky no one got killed. I have no recollection of approaching the intersection and think that my mind must have been somewhere else.

But over the last year since I started taking medication for my ADHD (Vyvanse), one of the places where I've really noticed a very significant change is in my driving. This has completely transformed my driving experience. I'm much more aware of the other cars around me and just feel so much more relaxed when I drive now than what I used to.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
DUBL07 (09-13-18)
Old 09-09-18, 01:09 PM

Funky8 is on a distinguished road

I got the driving licence at age 19 ( I had the luck that my parents paid for it).
But I needed to do almost three times more driving hours for exercising others, before I took the practical driving exam.
The theoretical part I have learnt from a CD, from which I have started learning about half a year before I passed the exam.

Now, my driving gets worse, also my anxiety while driving.
That is because I cannot properly judge spaces, distances and speed of other drivers.
I only drive on "safe" roads, where there aren`t many other drivers and trucks passing by....
I also don`t like driving at highways, at night or long distances and I keep my speed at land routes lower then allowed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Funky8 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-09-18)
Old 09-09-18, 05:20 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky8 View Post
Now, my driving gets worse, also my anxiety while driving.
That is because I cannot properly judge spaces, distances and speed of other drivers.
I only drive on "safe" roads, where there aren`t many other drivers and trucks passing by....
I also don`t like driving at highways, at night or long distances and I keep my speed at land routes lower then allowed.
I used to feel kind of anxious, too, especially if I was driving on a big highway with four lanes. Just looking in my rear-view mirror at all the cars behind me and having to be aware of how fast the cars were approaching, and which lanes they were in always felt a little overwhelming.

It made me very nervous about changing lanes if there was much traffic since I was always worried that I might have missed a car approaching in the lane I wanted to move to, perhaps having moved into my blind-spot. As a result, I often got stuck behind slow moving cars or trucks.

Also, because my mind tended to wander, my speed would often decrease because I was thinking about other things and I would be going slower than I should have.

There are some areas where my ADHD medication doesn't seem to have helped hardly at all such as my awareness of the passage of time which means that I still have a difficult time managing my time. But I'm still amazed at how much difference being medicated has made in my driving. I feel so much more in control of my car and so much more relaxed than what I was before.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-18, 12:27 AM

DUBL07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
In the past, I didn't like driving much, and especially if there was a lot of traffic, I always felt a little jittery.

And my mind tended to wander a little sometimes, too, so that about seven or eight years ago, I went through a stop sign into oncoming traffic and was hit by another car. Both my own car and that of the driver who hit me were totaled and I got a scalp laceration that had to be stitched up in the emergency room. The driver of the other car suffered a broken arm. It's lucky no one got killed. I have no recollection of approaching the intersection and think that my mind must have been somewhere else.

But over the last year since I started taking medication for my ADHD (Vyvanse), one of the places where I've really noticed a very significant change is in my driving. This has completely transformed my driving experience. I'm much more aware of the other cars around me and just feel so much more relaxed when I drive now than what I used to.
I have heard so many stories from ADD people that driving is impossible. That's about the only thing I can really focus on. I really like driving around, road trips don't stress me out. Driving in foreign towns makes me even sharper behind the wheel. Everywhere else in life i'm totally useless. I hate vyvanse, tried it out over the last 20 days or so. Not a drug I will continue to use. Going back to instant release adderall i guess. Getting tired of changing drugs all the time. I haven't really had my ahah moment yet. All the drugs seem pretty useless to me. I don't get much benefit from them. Had hoped i would as i really need the boost. And my new job is super stressful and not ADHD friendly at all. Basically the worst possible career choice for an ADHD'r haha. I'm on the phone doing tech support all day. Have tons to remember, get yelled at all day for broken things. No right answers ever, ahhh good times. I need a nice long road trip. Driving around calms me, plus i have a sports car.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (09-13-18), PoppnNSailinMan (09-14-18), SashaBV (09-13-18)
Old 09-13-18, 03:46 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,434 Times in 15,027 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

What you are talking about isnt all that unheard of. My husband has major adhd but is the best driver and amazing with maps and sense of direction. I dont know how he does it. Once years ago I took the wrong exit going to Long Island and ended up in Brooklyn and he navigated me out back onto the belt parkway. This was before smart phones. All I had was this ridiculous suitcase car phone.
Quote:
I have heard so many stories from ADD people that driving is impossible. That's about the only thing I can really focus on. I really like driving around, road trips don't stress me out. Driving in foreign towns makes me even sharper behind the wheel. Everywhere else in life i'm totally useless. I hate vyvanse, tried it out over the last 20 days or so. Not a drug I will continue to use. Going back to instant release adderall i guess. Getting tired of changing drugs all the time. I haven't really had my ahah moment yet. All the drugs seem pretty useless to me. I don't get much benefit from them. Had hoped i would as i really need the boost. And my new job is super stressful and not ADHD friendly at all. Basically the worst possible career choice for an ADHD'r haha. I'm on the phone doing tech support all day. Have tons to remember, get yelled at all day for broken things. No right answers ever, ahhh good times. I need a nice long road trip. Driving around calms me, plus i have a sports car.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 09-13-18, 12:02 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
That's about the only thing I can really focus on. I really like driving around, road trips don't stress me out.
Describes me as well. I love the sense of adventure.
Old 09-13-18, 06:49 PM
ADDvanced Member

thorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to allthorfinnur is a name known to all

I do have a licence and I am supposedly not the worst driver around.

When I was younger I was a lousy driver. Poor decision making and even worse situational awareness were big factors in that. I am by far better when on medication but frankly my wife is three times the driver I am.

I do well on gravel roads and muddy trails though. Could be because driving on those might be engaging enough to demand all of my attention.

I do like driving in the countryside but I loathe driving in the city. I'd rather take the bus or just walk.
Old 09-13-18, 10:12 PM

DUBL07 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
What you are talking about isnt all that unheard of. My husband has major adhd but is the best driver and amazing with maps and sense of direction. I dont know how he does it. Once years ago I took the wrong exit going to Long Island and ended up in Brooklyn and he navigated me out back onto the belt parkway. This was before smart phones. All I had was this ridiculous suitcase car phone.
I remember the bag phone haha. I get the calls "I'm lost" then end up giving directions based on stuff around them. Turn right at the Mcd's then left before the park kinda thing. I can sit and see that route in my head. My brain picks it all up. But sit and read a book? nah. Stay focused and get things done? nope. My brain is so odd. Don't get me started about music. How come I can remember songs i haven't heard in ten years. I make myself laugh all the time. Things I do awesome vs things i'm so beyond horrible at.
The Following User Says Thank You to DUBL07 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (09-14-18)
Old 09-13-18, 10:28 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,265 Times in 5,503 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

ive managed to be a decent drive

a couple aspects of ADHD really stand out in my driving though

impatience, even when I have plenty of time, I get easily irritated at others

while I never lash out at anyone it cant be good for my health

and other times I can daydream myself into complete autopilot its actually startling to snap out of sometimes

while a lot of people might do this, like all symptoms of adhd I feel like its extreme
Old 09-13-18, 11:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

SashaBV will become famous soon enough

I hate rush hour traffic! I hate city driving! I hate the construction on the road I have to use to get out of my area...blocks of one lane only, solar signals to alternate between northbound and southbound traffic. Still, I'm not a bad driver.
Old 09-14-18, 12:57 AM

Quote:
I hate vyvanse, tried it out over the last 20 days or so. Not a drug I will continue to use. Going back to instant release adderall i guess. Getting tired of changing drugs all the time.
I've been on Vyvanse for a little over a year now, and it certainly helps quite a lot in some things, but not in others that are still causing me problems. In particular, it has done almost nothing to tame my tendency to hyperfocus for hours and it might even be worse than before. My doctor suggested during my last visit that I consider trying out Adderall just to see if it works better for me than the Vyvanse. I probably should give it a try, but I hate the thought of going through another titration process.
Old 09-14-18, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
and other times I can daydream myself into complete autopilot its actually startling to snap out of sometimes
Daydreaming while you're driving doesn't sound like a good thing. That's probably what I was doing when I went through the stop sign and got into an accident.