ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 11-30-12, 01:00 AM
Contributor

nanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the roughnanners is a jewel in the rough
Re: Proud Moments

My 11 year old diagnosed daughter has been struggling with insecurity for the last couple of years. One area in particular that she struggles with is math. She has had to be put in the "small group" in her class, that works on easier problems. I have tried to explain to her how this may be her struggle area, but others struggle in areas that she does not. (how many times can i say struggle?)

Anyway, I re-entered her into therapy to help with her insecurities.
Her doctor decided to run some tests on her.
The results came back and amongst other things, her IQ is in the top 5% for her age group. She is considered "GATE". This is no surprise to me, but she was in shock. Her doctor went over the results in detail and pointed out her difficult areas (focus, etc, obviously) but also pointed out how many areas she completely excels in.

Afterwards, she told me she might want to be a therapist when she grows up. Hehe. I told her she can be anything she wants...some things may be harder than others, but that doesn't mean she can't make it happen. She responded, "Really? I can do anything I want?"

My god, brought tears to my eyes. She actually did not know this before?

She is walking with her head held high lately...not over doing it, but just with the confidence she was needing, to know that she really is important and special in this world.

sorry, just had to gush somewhere
amberwillow (11-30-12), Amtram (11-30-12), LynneC (11-30-12), Ms. Mango (11-30-12), psychokitty (11-21-13)
Old 12-14-13, 07:20 PM
Jr Member

Supermom is on a distinguished road

My son always has trouble studying, he's in grade 9 now. I've noticed a huge improvement in his work ethic lately and he seems to be becoming very passionate about music!

He has such a hard time listening in class, studying and doing work but he's able to sit down for hours and concentrate on guitar and piano. It's fascinating and i'm very happy he's found something he enjoys to do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Supermom For This Useful Post:
LynneC (12-15-13)
Old 12-26-13, 01:50 PM
Jr Member

HeatherP will become famous soon enough

School wasn't easy for my boy - teachers tore his books up because the work wasn't good enough; he struggled to find friends who would let him go and play; organisation a disaster; and he regularly was caned.

We tried medication which had terrible side effects and so decided to soldier along without it. Then we tried the diet and his life changed - there were still very difficult times ahead but we were far better equipped to deal with them.

Today my child has a very responsible job in an international company. He is well respected and much in demand; I'm having a very proud moment!
The Following User Says Thank You to HeatherP For This Useful Post:
pooka (12-26-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-14, 07:15 AM

window is on a distinguished road

JJ is making me proud at a time, out of blue can remember a thing which seems impossible for him: e.g He learned about Philip the evangelist on Sunday school, on the following "He was asked JJ, who was the guy whowas the guy who had 3 daughters? He replied "Phillip the Evangelist" even though He was busy playing with his ipad. JJ is a 5 year old boy, he has development delays, his teacher was so amazed the way JJ's able to remember.
Old 12-02-14, 05:24 PM

MomToOne will become famous soon enough

My son brought home his first grade 2 report card on Friday. I admit to a certain amount of apprehension, because although we are in contact with his teacher frequently, and I see his "green light" every day save one coming home in his agenda, I still wasn't sure what to expect. Needless to say, I was happy with the results.

Academically, he is doing really well. I would say a little better than last year, but academics was never his issue. He is meeting expectations in every category, and got "Excellent Achievement" in several, especially math and science, but surprisingly in social studies as well. He is reading above grade level in both French and English, despite not starting to read in English until September of this year.

Where I was really pleased, however, is in his effort. He went from getting mostly "requires attention" last year to "generally shows good effort" and even some "consistently". He did not get marked as "requires attention" in any subject area! Plus, his gym teacher, who noted last year that he seemed to like gym but really struggled with staying on task, wrote a comment that he is a much more focused learner this year and is achieving more success as a result.

Each student also did a self-assessment checklist of their own skills and abilities as a member of the classroom. It covered everything from respecting other peoples' property, to raising their hand in class, to organization, etc. DS was very thoughtful in how he responded, and his own interpretation of his strengths and weaknesses seemed to be in line with what his teachers reported.

He still doesn't love school. I wish he did, but he finds it boring and would rather be playing. Still, I am a very proud mom right now!

Strategies: Medication (20mg Adderall XR in the morning) and behavioural therapy, along with a ton of love, compassion and understanding...for him. I rely on wine.
Old 04-03-17, 04:54 AM

JessicaC306 is on a distinguished road

I will do the same thing to my child with ADHD, thanks for this info
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevors_mom View Post
I thought it would be good to share something that made us proud about our ADHD kids this week, kinda a lift me up type thread. I will go first.

yesterday we were moving our Hoosier and the place I wanted to move it it woudl not fit, I measured and looked and told T that it wont fit. He looked for a few minutes then said

Mom if you pull the TV stand out a bit then the book shelf can move over and it will fit.

Well he was right! I was so proud that he figured that out on his own, and he was paying attention.
Old 04-04-17, 07:00 PM

zzzsmokeyzzz is on a distinguished road

My son FINALLY started brushing his teeth by himself every night for 2 months now. A small accomplishment but a big one at the same time!
Old 04-08-17, 02:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 25,722 Times in 12,001 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzsmokeyzzz View Post
My son FINALLY started brushing his teeth by himself every night for 2 months now. A small accomplishment but a big one at the same time!
Parents of neuro-typical children brag when their child makes Honor Roll.

We brag when our kids brush their teeth, wash their own hair, pick up their
rooms, don't get any red tickets at school.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 04-08-17, 02:08 PM
Contrapunctual Moderator

Thanked 20,388 Times in 10,226 Posts
namazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond reputenamazu has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
Parents of neuro-typical children brag when their child makes Honor Roll.
We brag when our kids brush their teeth, wash their own hair, pick up their
rooms, don't get any red tickets at school.
And sometimes parents of kids with ADHD brag about their kid making honor roll (because they did) even though they still don't brush their teeth or clean their rooms or wash their hair...

(Way to go, smokey's kid!)
The Following User Says Thank You to namazu For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (04-08-17)
Old 06-18-18, 04:21 AM

natnatroswell22 is on a distinguished road

For a parents like us, It will really make us proud seeing our kids doing things like this. It lifts up my heart.
The Following User Says Thank You to natnatroswell22 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-14-18)
Old 09-14-18, 01:13 AM

DanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of lightDanielGM1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Last year, 9 year old daughter with ADHD really struggled at Ballet, although she was a natural dancer - she can break into interpretive dance anytime she hears music and it's really beautiful.

But in class, there were tears, lack of focus, faked illnesses and injuries, inability to remember routines, having to look at the teachers or other students for guidance so always being a step behind.

She's been on Concerta for a year now, and the new ballet class started a few weeks ago. Tonight she had a 5 mg booster pill a half hour before class, and I don't know if it was that, or a combination with advancing maturity, but I saw a focus and determination (and skill level) that really made me proud. There was one move that she kept making a minor mistake on (foot landing in front rather than back, or vice versa - sorry I have ADHD too!), and the teacher (who was the REALLY tough owner of the school) kept drilling her on it until she got it just right, and at the end she was nailing it beautifully. I don't think the teacher would have paid that much attention to her if she didn't think it was worth her time.

Just a proud moment.

D.

I cease trying to be perfect, and instead stay faithful to my psychological and spiritual practice. - Dr. David Richo

Be yourself, and the rest will follow.

DG

Last edited by DanielGM1970; 09-14-18 at 01:15 AM.. Reason: Left something out
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DanielGM1970 For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (09-14-18), namazu (09-14-18)