ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-18, 01:17 PM

DarkMaGiicS is on a distinguished road
Delayed

When someone is speaking to me, They look at me weird waiting for a reply, But actually, I am listening but it takes my brain to realise what that person has actually said to me, I could easily be there talking to someone eye to eye and they don't get a response from me because i'm either thinking about something completely off-topic, or it take's me at least some time for my brain to function what that person said.

It's like my partner asks me to do something, She repeats it 2 more times and i'm just standing there like "Huh?"

Some people just don't know that US with ADHD/ADD can't listen or function what that other person is saying, Even if your looking directly at them
Old 09-10-18, 02:06 PM

benito is on a distinguished road
Re: Delayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMaGiicS View Post
When someone is speaking to me, They look at me weird waiting for a reply, But actually, I am listening but it takes my brain to realise what that person has actually said to me, I could easily be there talking to someone eye to eye and they don't get a response from me because i'm either thinking about something completely off-topic, or it take's me at least some time for my brain to function what that person said.

It's like my partner asks me to do something, She repeats it 2 more times and i'm just standing there like "Huh?"

Some people just don't know that US with ADHD/ADD can't listen or function what that other person is saying, Even if your looking directly at them

If the person is trustworthy I explain that maybe I do not pay attention to him and he may have to repeat what he said, but he does not take it personally.
For your comment I guess you just had an episode of this type. Have you been struck by something like that recently?
We are what we are, we are clueless, but also sensitive, good people and good partners. Do not let a negative aspect influence you.

EDIT: I'm sorry for my English, sometimes I do not express myself well

My meds

Morning: Vyvanse 30mg and effexor xr 150mg

night: effexor xr 150mg, lamictal 100mg, abilify 5mg, seroquel 100mg and clonazepam 0.5mg
Old 09-14-18, 12:52 PM
Jr Member

mets91428 is on a distinguished road

It's very common with people who have ADD/ADHD to be unable to carry on with a conversation. The region of the brain responsible for focus and concentration isn't functioning at normal levels, thus why people often complain about not, "paying attention." They're distracted, it's like their brains can't filter out the noise around them. I'm sure this has to do with problems in executive functioning.

Based off other people's experience similar to yours, it seems like stimulants better address this issue. It has something to do with working memory. Will you be forgetful, need things repeated back, yes, but it shouldn't happen as much, or not as severe.
The Following User Says Thank You to mets91428 For This Useful Post:
DanielGM1970 (09-14-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-18, 04:34 PM
Jr Member

apertxre is on a distinguished road

I totally get how you feel. The only difference is that instead of waiting until I fully process what was said, I impulsively respond. It’s really feels as though it’s either a hit or miss at that point.

The truth is:

I am a toy that people enjoy

'Til all of the tricks don't work anymore

And then they are bored of me.

~♬~
Old Today, 04:06 PM
Jr Member

Mr. Prickles is on a distinguished road

This is exactly the response I get from people. The look at you like they're saying "Hello in there, anyone home." Most of the time I just ignore the look. Sometimes I tell people to give me a second, it takes a bit for my brain to engage. I'm 49 and over the years my mental startup delay seems to be increasing. Generally, the more it annoys someone, the funnier I think it is.