ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Old 09-28-04, 04:53 AM
Jr Member

Kainenable is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Help! Concerta and Panic Attacks Anyone else have this?

I am mostly inattentive/nonhyper ADD.

Today i had a terrifying experience and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

I have been taking concerta now for about a month with the usual side effects for me, lack of appitite, trouble sleeping, dulled personality.

Today i took my dosage, 2 18 mg pills at about 7:00 am. Things progressed well during the day untill my last class 7:00 pm. At this time i think my concerta had worn of so i had alot of problems concentrating and couldnt follow what the professor was talking about. I was worrying about it all the way home and couldnt get it out of my head. I went to sleep at about 11:30 and woke up at 2:30. I tried to get back asleep but couldnt. My mind seemed to be locked in a state of ineffectivly anylizing things which wouldnt allow me to sleep, i was also a bit sweaty. I thought i might as well make the best of it and try to go over what we went over in class. I became increasingly frustrated and paniky because i couldnt understand how to do the assignment the professor assigned.

Then things got really bad. My heart rate was really fast and weak i had trouble breathing, i got really sweaty, my hands were trembling, i though i was going to go crazy. The mental aspect of this was the worst!

Being that I am a healty 22 year old and know the signs of a heart attack i didnt go to emerg. Being that i am also a bit of a computer nerd I just put my symptoms into google and it came up with Panic Attack. Which fit what i was going through perfectally, the website instructions helped me deal with what i was going through.

I HAVE NEVER HAD A PANIC ATTACK BEFORE. I would have remembered something like that . I have felt anxious before but NOT like this. My questions for you are these.

1) Should i stop taking concerta?
2) Is this a side effect from taking concerta?
3) Has anyone else had these problems after using concerta?
4) If this is a normal side effect how do i stop myself from having another Panic Attack.

Im not sure if this should also be noted but i didnt really have alot to eat today either.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Last edited by Kainenable; 09-28-04 at 05:02 AM..
Old 09-28-04, 06:08 AM
Contributor

Sc@tterBr@in_UK has disabled reputation
Since the Concerta seems to have worn off by the time you had the attack, it seems a bit premature to stop the meds because of the attack.

Luckily for me, I have LESS of these now because a lot of my panic attacks were due to delayed processing and being overwhelmed/shut down, and the Concerta helps me process stuff so there is less unprocessed stress and anxiety going on. This may be different for you though.

Is there anything that has changed in your life recently, or anything that you are worried about? Sometimes worrying about the effect medication will have can even cause panic attacks!

[Diagnosed HFA/AS 'with considerable attentional dysfunction in December 2003]
Old 09-28-04, 01:12 PM
Forum ADDvocate

Gregster has a spectacular aura aboutGregster has a spectacular aura about
I agree - I don't think the Concerta was the cause of your panic attack - and it does sound like one. Since the drug would have been pretty much gone from your system by 7pm when your class started, your awareness of your lack of focus probably percipitated the attack(?)
You should talk to your doctor with regards to this, of course, as there are treatments for anxiety and methods that may be helpful in preventing another occurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gregster For This Useful Post:
dawnf (03-04-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-04, 10:08 PM
Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc@tterBr@in_UK
Since the Concerta seems to have worn off by the time you had the attack, it seems a bit premature to stop the meds because of the attack.

Is there anything that has changed in your life recently, or anything that you are worried about? Sometimes worrying about the effect medication will have can even cause panic attacks!
hehe, well i suppose a major change would be going back to school and pushing myself to do well and not fall behind.

If you couldnt tell I was still in panic mode when I wrote that post. The lack of sleep didn't help either. I think my mind just became overloaded, this was probably exaservated by the fact that the Concerta had worn off. Also the fact that i was pretty sleep deprived.

I find that that once concerta wears off for the next 2-3 hours my mind is even more disorganized than it was before I took the medication. After the 2 -3 hours my mind goes back to its Baseline disorganization.

I think what you have said makes alot of sence. I certianly hope that this isnt a recurring thing. My mother (of all people) came up with an interesting hypothesis. I dealt with stress when untreated by utilizing my add. If i had some stress in my life it was easy to get rid of it just by shifting my focus to something else.

An ability i think probably everyone here has. Subsequently i was never really stressed out about anything. In fact stuff that would normally really stress people out didnt really phase me all that much. Through the power of APITHY and ignoring the problem.

I never was able to deal with stress "normally". While im on concerta i think i deal with stresss in a different way. Or at least am trying to. But have never really had the practice.

Anyway, its just a hypothesis and im going to the psychyatrist for a follow up visit anyway on friday just to track down its possible cause. Thanks for your input. I am still taking concerta and will at least continue doing so untill I am told otherwise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kainenable For This Useful Post:
dawnf (03-04-11), jucafelix (06-07-10)
Old 09-29-04, 07:35 AM
Contributor

If you have problems like this when the meds wear off, ask for a smal dose of Ritalin to counter the effect. Some docs also prescribe low doses of antidepressants to counter the rebound and anxiety if this is a problem.

Old 09-29-04, 07:36 AM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
your awareness of your lack of focus probably percipitated the attack
That makes a lot of sense. I have mild reactive hypoglycaemia and and when I get the fuzzy/dizzy thing after eating something I shouldn't have, it often triggers a panic attack because the sudden loss of focus freaks me out.

Old 10-11-04, 04:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

bunnystar is on a distinguished road
I had the same expierence with Adderall, although I also had one on Strattera (calmed myself out of it) and I currently fight them even now as we speak. My chest is tight, anxious etc.

I thought that Adderall (okay maybe I still think) caused me to have have a other wise non-exsistant panic disorder.

I am taking Buspirone for anxiety now.

Sorry you had to go throught that, it's a terrible expierence, I hope you don't get them anymore.

Take care
Old 11-09-04, 01:39 PM
Jr Member

Just an update.

First thing, I really appriciate all the advice. It helped alot. I continued to take the Concerta as perscribed. It seems like it was a combination of many things that triggered it. I was a bit anxious the next 2-3 days afterwards but then returned to normal. I havent had one since then.

Phew...
Old 03-17-05, 11:39 PM

nelziq is on a distinguished road
Kainenable,
I started on ritalin 2 weeks ago and I also recently had a similar experience. I have had a couple panic attacks before and I now recognize it as that. I am in a similar position in that i am inattentive type, 24 years old and in college. Being diagnosed and seeing what a difference that add medication can make is a very dramatic experience and can have some strong psychological effects. Also stimulant medication can increase levels of anxiety. I am glad to hear that you feel normal again, I now feel more optimistic continuing with my medication.
Old 03-18-05, 12:28 AM

Misery is on a distinguished road
FYI - Never asssume you know what heart attacks signs look/feel like. Had a guy a few years ago come through emergency via paramedics. His only complaint to the paramedic was severe toothache in the back of his mouth. The EKG told a different story. Full blown MI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Misery For This Useful Post:
dawnf (03-04-11)
Old 06-07-10, 11:06 PM
Jr Member

jucafelix is on a distinguished road
Re: Help! Concerta and Panic Attacks Anyone else have this?

What an interesting theory the one your mother came up with Kainenable. I also feel like i`m anxious all the time but never focused on anything, just switching from a issue to another one. It is posible that the meds make you focus, and you lose the " ability" to do some mind escape..I tried COncerta for a while and it made me really anxious too. Im now on a ssri and thinking about give the stimulants a try again. I might have missed my escape skills while on it, having to deal with my issues, instead of avoiding them.
Old 05-02-11, 10:53 PM
Jr Member

monik_76 is on a distinguished road

I'm also inatentive ADD, and had some panick attacks through my life, I was diagnosed when I was 25 years old and allready had 2 kids, now I'm 34, was never on medication, one of my daughters is on concerta, havn't had a panic attack yet, but her fears are extreme she is scared of darkness, whater, insects, everything.

What her doctor explained to me is thad ADD or ADHD most of the times don't come alone, but the symptoms of those complications often show after starting with meds, in my daughters case, she also has anxiety disorder and obsesive compolsive disorder.

So talk to your doctor about this, and yes the panic atacks are something you will remember always, but they can be controled, I learned it the hard way, and I just had to find a way to get over them by myself, because no one would believe me.

I'm sure you will find the way of avoinding them because you do have the support of a mother an a doctor, wich some of us just couldn't get.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 07-13-17, 03:25 PM

SamanthaDADHD is on a distinguished road

I take Lorazepam for my panic/anxiety attacks. I have ADHD and Asperger's and anxiety attacks and other things.
Might help you, Kainenable.
Old 07-14-17, 11:34 AM

shapes3366 is on a distinguished road

I had horrible experience with Concreta aswell. 36 MG oral with water in the morning on a empty stomach.

Side effects were:

Horrible panic attacks. I suffered form panic attacks before but didnt have any for at least 2 years. After the panic attacks subsided a bit i felt depressed & extremely tired and went to bed. I stayed in the bed the whole day while feeling uncomfortable and permanently having the urge to check my hart rate. I also felt a bit sick.

I switched back to Ritalin LA 20mg which works much better. I also had good experience with Focalin XR 10mg but i i prefere Ritalin after all.
Old 09-08-17, 02:09 AM

Vicchan1234 is on a distinguished road

Here's my back story to begin with ; I'm a college student, and on Adderal 30XR. I love it, no complaints at all. I have a history of bad anxiety since the time I was young and I get panic attacks occasionally lasting about 5 - 30 minutes. I haven't had one in a few months ( I think cause I'm taking my adderal more frequently now that school started back up) but usually they just come out of nowhere.

I come from a family of 7 and 5 out of the 7 kids including me have ADHD. To cut to the chase everyone in my family that has ADHD has tried lots of different medication for it so they can see what helps them best. My brother used to take concerta and he had no complaints. He is now on adderal though taking the same dosage I am . I couldn't find my adderal today and usually I wouldn't care and go on my day without it. But today, I had a lot to do and I was convinced that in order to do it all I NEEDED to take my adderal . I didn't end up finding it but my brother had his concerta left from when he stopped taking it. It was about 1 p.m and I decided to take it thinking it would be the same as adderal. I didn't eat much but I don't eat much even before taking my adderal so I didn't think anything of it.

About 3 hours after taking it, I felt my heart drop to the pit of my stomach, I felt shaky, I felt like my heart was going to pop out of my chest, and I kept my hand on it the whole time because it was racing so fast that I thought it was the only way that it'd be okay. I knew immediately that it was a panic attack, but I also knew that it was the worst one I have ever had . I thought I was literally going to die and never see the light of day again . It helped me focus but the only thing it "helped " me focus on was the fact that my heart was gunna explode and that I was gunna die. I was drinking water nonstop in hopes that it would help . I took The concerta to get stuff done and instead I sat in bed all day freaking out .

It's now almost 2 a.m , so about 12 hours after I took it and 9 hours since I hit panic mode. And it's still not going away. I'm NOT sleeping until this goes away. I've never have a panic attack for this long before. It goes away for a few minutes but it just comes right back. It feels like it's never ending. I know I'm probably thinking myself into more of a panic attack but I can't help it. My sister told me she took my brothers before as well and felt like she was going to go crazy (mind you , she has bad anxiety too) . But no one can relate to me and they think I'm overreacting cause they have never been through this before. I looked up a few things and it said if u do have anxiety to begin with than u shouldn't take concerta because it'll increase the anxiety. But also my brother said it could be cause it was extended release and I hadn't ate much . After I hit panic mode I couldn't even look at food, and I still can't. This was by far the worst experience I've EVER had with any type of medication .

Last edited by midnightstar; 09-08-17 at 10:20 AM..