ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Concerta
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Concerta (methylphenidate) Time released Ritalin - 10 hour long acting tablet.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-04, 01:26 PM
Davesings Davesings is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 12
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Davesings is on a distinguished road
72 mg of Concerta for a Child

Hi,
My son's psychiatrist recommended giving two 36mg tabs of Concerta for my 9 yr old son (about 95 pounds). He was taking previously 40mg of Metadate CD...He also takes Abilify to control his temper. He was on Risperdal but he gained weight on that. does anyone whether this is too much Concerta or does it just depend on the metabolism? He has been crying at night a little more lately and we don't know whether it is related to coming down from the Concerta or if his Abilify is not working enough to control his temper.
Thanks David
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-04, 05:28 PM
Kimalimah's Avatar
Kimalimah Kimalimah is offline
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate
 

Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Wherever I happen to be
Posts: 3,566
Thanks: 1
Thanked 100 Times in 31 Posts
Kimalimah has a spectacular aura aboutKimalimah has a spectacular aura about
It sure sounds like a lot, but I'm not a dr. and don't know what the whole situation looks like. My son has also always needed more Ritalin than others because it doesn't work as long for him. At 9 he was on 60 mg of regular Ritalin. Now, at 12 and 120 lbs. he's on 54 mg Concerta and 10 mg regular Ritalin.

I guess, though, it sounds like you're concerned and I would suggest you talk it over with your dr. so that he is aware of your fears and any changes that have taken place since starting the new regime.

Kim
__________________
"Character cannot be developed in ease and quiet. Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved." - Helen Keller
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-01-05, 08:54 PM
m's mom m's mom is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 53
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
m's mom is on a distinguished road
David, I just started my daughter on Concerta (age 7, 65 lbs) and she is also very weepy (and/or aggressive) in the afternoon and even more wound-up than usual during the day. I'm going to be talking with her doctor on Monday, but I think the weepiness/aggression is just too much. It sounds like you might want to talk w/ you doctor as well . . .
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #4  
Old 11-19-08, 05:49 PM
hacsince91 hacsince91 is offline
Jr Member
 

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: virginia
Posts: 13
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hacsince91 is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

hi there
im actually 17 years old, and am on 54 mg of concerta
and in the afternoon, i have been getting these horrible 'weepy'/irritable spells
its really quite bad and i just made an emergency appointment with my psychiatrist today to see him/decide what to do from here
and i would definitely recommend doing same thing for your child
xox
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-08, 06:37 PM
ADHDNEWB ADHDNEWB is offline
Banned
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Texas - Hook'em
Posts: 362
Thanks: 90
Thanked 60 Times in 53 Posts
ADHDNEWB is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

Wow, that seems like a lot to me. I was on 36mg's and that was too much for me. I had nothing but bad side effects on that stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-16-14, 01:55 AM
STPOVRDSNGYRKDS STPOVRDSNGYRKDS is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
STPOVRDSNGYRKDS is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacsince91 View Post
hi there
im actually 17 years old, and am on 54 mg of concerta
and in the afternoon, i have been getting these horrible 'weepy'/irritable spells
its really quite bad and i just made an emergency appointment with my psychiatrist today to see him/decide what to do from here
and i would definitely recommend doing same thing for your child
xox
yur doctor is over prescribing or over dosing you are taking wrong amount of dose, is why your feeling that way: your correct dose is 36 mg: not 54 mg of concerta: i sometimes think there is not a single human with common sense.
54 mg conerta is for tall people and if that person is older than 18 years old, else limited to 36 mg even if tall, that if u need more than 36 mg, then [36 + 36] or [36 + 27] or [36 + 18], is very simple, but not [54] meaning not use nor buy nor allow nor allow to yourself 54 mg is for not only tall people but for those older than 18, else if younger than 18 then use 36 mg. tell your doctor ought to lose medical license for being such utter moron and an idiot. if you need more than 36 then get an extra 36 mg tablet or 27 or 18: not 54 mg is for those older than 18 and also if tall that if person is not tall nor older than 18, then to use 36 or 27 or 18 or combination of 36 or/and 27 or/and 18 mg concerta, including not forget: generic mlkrt concerta is more potent than name brand
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-14, 01:10 PM
STPOVRDSNGYRKDS STPOVRDSNGYRKDS is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
STPOVRDSNGYRKDS is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

9 year old ought to be limited to 18 mg concerta: if he or she needs more, THEN [not than] multiple 18 mg concerta tablets, such as 18 mg in morning and 18 mg in afternoon, and if he still needs more than another 18 mg in evening, but ought to not need more than 18 or 2x18
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-14, 01:17 PM
STPOVRDSNGYRKDS STPOVRDSNGYRKDS is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: TEXAS
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
STPOVRDSNGYRKDS is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

if younger than 18 if between 14 to 18 years of age, then use 27 to 36 mg concerta, else if 18 years of age then 36 mg @ most, else 27 mg if of age of 14, that between age of 14 to 18 ought to be limited to 27 to 36 mg or combination of 27 or/and 36 mg of concerta, but NOT 54, is for tall people and if older than 18 years of age, else if short and older than 18, then to use 27 to 36 mg concerta with 18 mg as optional, but not 54 mg unless person is tall to prevent overdose happens when user or/and parent or/and doctor not understand obvious which is to divide up total dose into smaller or smallest unit, such as 27+27 mg, meaning each higher dose tablet has double potency that of smaller unit is often ignored to why wrong dose is given or to why wrong dose is used, is why correct dose is important
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-17-14, 03:37 PM
Babylon5's Avatar
Babylon5 Babylon5 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 31
Thanks: 4
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Babylon5 can only hope to improve
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by STPOVRDSNGYRKDS View Post
if younger than 18 if between 14 to 18 years of age, then use 27 to 36 mg concerta, else if 18 years of age then 36 mg @ most, else 27 mg if of age of 14, that between age of 14 to 18 ought to be limited to 27 to 36 mg or combination of 27 or/and 36 mg of concerta, but NOT 54, is for tall people and if older than 18 years of age, else if short and older than 18, then to use 27 to 36 mg concerta with 18 mg as optional, but not 54 mg unless person is tall to prevent overdose happens when user or/and parent or/and doctor not understand obvious which is to divide up total dose into smaller or smallest unit, such as 27+27 mg, meaning each higher dose tablet has double potency that of smaller unit is often ignored to why wrong dose is given or to why wrong dose is used, is why correct dose is important
You do know that this thread is 10 years old, right?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-17-14, 03:57 PM
michaelaisabell's Avatar
michaelaisabell michaelaisabell is offline
Contributor
 

Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 482
Thanks: 570
Thanked 289 Times in 190 Posts
michaelaisabell has a spectacular aura aboutmichaelaisabell has a spectacular aura about
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

My bad just saw noticed someone bumped a really old post.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-09-15, 07:59 AM
outlawdeputy outlawdeputy is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
outlawdeputy is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

And I am not aware that medication is prescribed for tall or short people. Recommended dose may by age-pediatric-adult-geriatric owing to how different ages metabolize. And since dosing is mg/kg weight may be a factor. Height is new one for me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-09-15, 08:04 AM
outlawdeputy outlawdeputy is offline
Newbie
 

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Twin Cities, Minnesota USA
Posts: 6
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
outlawdeputy is on a distinguished road
Re: 72 mg of Concerta for a Child

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davesings View Post
Hi,
My son's psychiatrist recommended giving two 36mg tabs of Concerta for my 9 yr old son (about 95 pounds). He was taking previously 40mg of Metadate CD...He also takes Abilify to control his temper. He was on Risperdal but he gained weight on that. does anyone whether this is too much Concerta or does it just depend on the metabolism? He has been crying at night a little more lately and we don't know whether it is related to coming down from the Concerta or if his Abilify is not working enough to control his temper.
Thanks David
Because the post is ten years old, let me ask If you are willing to respond, did your son have side effects from the Abilify?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yesterday's Child timh General ADD Talk 5 09-23-05 04:29 PM
A slow-to-warm-up child needs time to gain confidence Andi Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD 1 08-25-05 07:34 PM
Homeschooling the child with ADD or other special needs. Digitl General Parenting Issues 0 03-26-05 05:17 PM
New Girl On The Block (ADHD son being treated badly by others) CryForHelp General Parenting Issues 22 08-04-04 02:54 AM
Explaining parent's ADD/ADHD to a 10-yr old..? GOLDILOCKS General ADD Talk 6 07-20-04 09:22 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
(c) 2003 - 2015 ADD Forums