ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 03-19-17, 07:32 PM
Registered

Postulate is infamous around these partsPostulate is infamous around these parts
Re: School Projects and Parent Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Adhd is actually underdiagnosed especially in girls.I think a lot of people think its something easy to walk in and walk out with a diagnosis. Sure, there are people who are misdiagnosed but its sort of more of a myth that is so easy. But youre right, a doctor must rule out all other things before coming to the conclusion that its adhd. Many doctors dont worry about those distinctions and would rather slap any old label on someone less they look incompetent.
You know, I would go as far as saying that doctors should not disclose the terminology of the diagnosis to the patients. Instead of saying "she has ADHD" the doctor should say "your daughter's attention span is deficient, way below average, so we'll get her some Dexedrine for attention".

The wording of the diagnosis can cause confusion people who go to the doctor like they go to the mechanic to get their car fixed, and don't know much about how the brain works.

Last edited by namazu; Yesterday at 05:17 PM.. Reason: Removed insulting language.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post
You know, I would go as far as saying that doctors should not disclose the terminology of the diagnosis to the patients. Instead of saying "she has ADHD" the doctor should say "your daughter's attention span is deficient, way below average, so we'll get her some Dexedrine for attention".

The wording of the diagnosis can cause confusion people who go to the doctor like they go to the mechanic to get their car fixed, and don't know much about how the brain works.
I logged on here late night after a really busy week plus of not having the luxury to do so, with the plan to catch up on some reading for my and a few other threads I was reading.

Last edited by namazu; Yesterday at 05:18 PM.. Reason: Removed insults. Please see ADDF guidelines.
Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,821 Times in 5,184 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Things that worked for me to lessen homework load (as a kid in advanced classes with an IEP) were reduced workload (helps with the busy work, especially in subjects that she grasps well). What that looked like for me was doing every other math problem in order to show that I understood the concept, but not beat that concept to death.

That obviously doesn't help with the writing. I write very well, but I also can take a long while to organize my thoughts, especially for longer projects. I don't know that having an extra day or two to work would've helped me any (I am an inveterate procrastinator), but having someone to bounce ideas off of would have.

The index cards are supposed to help kids organize (especially those who have trouble with the structure and function of writing). Unfortunately, standard ways of doing things often don't fit non-standard thinkers.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (Yesterday), Vandeluca (Yesterday)
Sponsored Links
Old Yesterday, 09:41 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
Things that worked for me to lessen homework load (as a kid in advanced classes with an IEP) were reduced workload (helps with the busy work, especially in subjects that she grasps well). What that looked like for me was doing every other math problem in order to show that I understood the concept, but not beat that concept to death.

That obviously doesn't help with the writing. I write very well, but I also can take a long while to organize my thoughts, especially for longer projects. I don't know that having an extra day or two to work would've helped me any (I am an inveterate procrastinator), but having someone to bounce ideas off of would have.

The index cards are supposed to help kids organize (especially those who have trouble with the structure and function of writing). Unfortunately, standard ways of doing things often don't fit non-standard thinkers.
That's where my son and daughter both are. Standard ways of doing things are not working for them. My son was finally able to get in classes that have linear teaching. XYZ happened. you will be tested on XYZ. The classes he use to have were more of a free thinking style of teaching asking the students:
1. Why do you think Mercutio died in Romeo and Juliet?
2. Could it have been avoided?
3. What resulted from his death?

My son didn't understand what the teacher wanted. His responses would have been literal:
1. Because he had a sword in his chest.
2. Maybe if he had moved to the side he could have avoided the sword.
3. He was dead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
namazu (Yesterday), Vandeluca (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 12,821 Times in 5,184 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My son didn't understand what the teacher wanted. His responses would have been literal:
1. Because he had a sword in his chest.
2. Maybe if he had moved to the side he could have avoided the sword.
3. He was dead.
Any one of the students in the classes I frequent would answer those questions exactly the way your son did. Fortunately, the teachers are tuned in, and redirect/prompt/poke/prod the kids into the more abstract lines of thought.

Part of that is just maturity, however. Kids develop the ability to think abstractly at different ages (from as young as 11 to still struggling to grasp them as adults). If you're not ready, then you're not ready. That's what makes math classes like algebra a challenge as well. If you can't understand what a variable is, it's very difficult to do well in a class that is nothing but abstraction with variables.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following User Says Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
namazu (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerSan View Post
Any one of the students in the classes I frequent would answer those questions exactly the way your son did. Fortunately, the teachers are tuned in, and redirect/prompt/poke/prod the kids into the more abstract lines of thought.

Part of that is just maturity, however. Kids develop the ability to think abstractly at different ages (from as young as 11 to still struggling to grasp them as adults). If you're not ready, then you're not ready. That's what makes math classes like algebra a challenge as well. If you can't understand what a variable is, it's very difficult to do well in a class that is nothing but abstraction with variables.
I once asked him why math was his favorite and best subject and he said "Because there is ONE answer." He's 14, last year is when he was diagnosed with ADHD and it was me jumping up and down saying "He is failing three classes but has an A in advanced Math you can't tell me something isn't wrong here!"
The Following User Says Thank You to Caco3girl For This Useful Post:
namazu (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Vandeluca will become famous soon enough

Funny...mine likes math too! She has to work at it but does really well..Never in a million years did I think math would be one of her best. She also has a knack for grammar too, which is difficult so I am told for some.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vandeluca For This Useful Post:
namazu (Today)
Old Today, 12:54 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,299 Times in 8,631 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many "it dependses".

I don't think it's always clear why one thing and why not another, though I'm sure there are some general trends.

I ended up with a strength in language (grammar, spelling, vocabulary, foreign languages, etc) and a major weakness in spatial and visual.

So, I may be a bit of a language master, but in terms of space I'm definitely not a master - more like one of those novice space trainees... what were they called again... Oh yeah - I'm a space cadet.
Postmodernism, the school of 'thought' that proclaimed 'There are no truths, only interpretations' has largely played itself out in absurdity, but it has left behind a generation of academics in the humanities disabled by their distrust of the very idea of truth and their disrespect for evidence, settling for 'conversations' in which nobody is wrong and nothing can be confirmed, only asserted with whatever style you can muster.
The Following User Says Thank You to dvdnvwls For This Useful Post:
namazu (Today)
Old Today, 02:53 AM

Thanked 26,652 Times in 11,876 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulate View Post

I think in the case of a child the idea of going to a doc like someone who would go to the mechanic wouldnt apply.

I carried a watermelon?