ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 10-13-18, 12:37 PM

ShipwreckSiren is on a distinguished road
Adderral works perfectly.... but I can't sleep on it no matter the dose

I was diagnosed at age 25 in March. Before that I carried the following diagnoses: Bipolar II, Depression, Anxiety, OCD.

Took SSRIs through childhood, and mood stabilizers from age 19 on. They helped, but not really. Finally got a diagnosis for ADHD in March and everything made sense. My doctor kept me on my mood stabilizer (just in case I do have bipolar). We trialed every medication to find the right fit. We tried:

Adderall IR: 2.5mg, 5mg, 10mg
Ritalin IR: 10mg, 20mg
Adderall XR: 15mg, 20mg
Ritalin XR: 20mg

Ritalin doesn't do anything for me. It doesn't seem to affect me at all. Adderrall is the perfect fit for me. I literally have no side effects on Adderrall, save for one. No matter how low of a dose I take, I will NOT sleep that night. I've had other ADHDers tell me to just take less. Believe me, I've tried. I can take 2.5mg of instant release Adderrall at 6a.m. and not sleep that night. Also while realizing that 2.5mg isn't managing my symptoms. I've always been sensitive to stimulants and can't even have caffeine after a certain time or I won't sleep. I can be dead tired but can't come down from the adrenaline to fall asleep, or if I do, I wake up every two hours.

I tried everything. I was prescribed trazodone before and it is effective while off stimulants. Same with Ativan. Same with cannabis. None of those things work when I take Adderrall. The only thing that does work is Seroquel or Remeron. The reason is because at low doses they have a strong antihistamine effect. Well, that knocks me right out and I sleep fairly well. But the next day I have the lingering antihistamine effect and it's like I get less benefit from the Adderall.

The first day I take Adderrall after a break it is magnificient. But I have to take Seroquel that night and then the days after aren't as productive and clear.

Me and my doctor are working on this, but it is so frustrating. I envy those ADHDers who can drink coffee or take vyvanse at 1pm and sleep like a baby that night. My doctor assures me that he does have other patients with the same problem and that it doesn't mean that I DON'T have ADHD. He told me usually about 2-3 our of 10 people with ADHD have difficulty with falling asleep on stims.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 10-16-18, 03:35 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,270 Times in 14,935 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Adderral works perfectly.... but I can't sleep on it no matter the dose

I havent but I am wondering if you take xr or ir? If its ir I wonder if one dose of xr early in the morning would help?

I carried a watermelon?