ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 01-26-09, 09:42 PM

ColinADD will become famous soon enough
Vitamins to take on Adderall?

Hey I was wondering if there's any certains vitamins that I could take that would help my brain functions with the Adderall i'm taking. I'm sure I need to replenish the neurotransmitters and if there's any specific vitamins I could take that would help while taking this medication.
Old 01-29-09, 02:45 AM
Contributor

stillfightin will become famous soon enough
Re: Vitamins to take on Adderall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinADD View Post
Hey I was wondering if there's any certains vitamins that I could take that would help my brain functions with the Adderall i'm taking. I'm sure I need to replenish the neurotransmitters and if there's any specific vitamins I could take that would help while taking this medication.
Give focus fast a try... works well for me (but im not on medication)
Old 01-29-09, 05:22 PM

nurse708 is on a distinguished road

I had the same question when I first started my medication. I did a lot of searching on here and this is the combo that I pretty much came up with. I also only take these at night before bed so there is no chance that they will decrease or increase the absorption of the Adderall.

A multivitamin
Vitamin C 1000mg
Chelated Magnesium Gluconate 30mg
Omega-3 Fish Oil 2400mg
Vitamin B-6 100mg

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nurse708 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (01-30-09), ColinADD (01-29-09)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-09, 07:19 PM

ColinADD will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse708 View Post
I had the same question when I first started my medication. I did a lot of searching on here and this is the combo that I pretty much came up with. I also only take these at night before bed so there is no chance that they will decrease or increase the absorption of the Adderall.

A multivitamin
Vitamin C 1000mg
Chelated Magnesium Gluconate 30mg
Omega-3 Fish Oil 2400mg
Vitamin B-6 100mg
I looked into the vitamins more shortly after I made this post and saw many recommending: Magnesium, Vitamin B6, and L-Tyrosine. I got a 250mg Magnesium supplement and picked up a Vitamin B-50 Complex aswell.

I know many people here have been talking about the Fish Oil, does it really help with the medication? And does anybody know about L-Tyrosine? I was wondering if I should start supplementing these into my diet aswell. I know i'm probably not getting as much vitamins as I should from not eating as much and having more of a binge eating habit. Any recommendations and input are appreciated.
Old 01-29-09, 11:07 PM
Contributor

demo3210 is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're not eating well I definitely recommend a multi-vitamin. If you eat a lot of meat maybe you want to find one without so much Iron. I take One A Day Men's Health as it has no Iron, personally.

But other than that Fish Oil has been scientifically shown to regulate dopamine better in the brain and people with ADHD have been shown to have lower levels of DHA (main ingredient in Fish Oil). Whether this is consistent data or not I do not know, but it's been shown at least once.

Also Vitamin C might help with the oxidative stress that amphetamines cause. I also take Green Tea supplements as they are supposed to help as an antioxidant. I also take magnesium.
ADHDTigger (01-30-09)
Old 01-31-09, 02:28 PM

nurse708 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinADD View Post
I looked into the vitamins more shortly after I made this post and saw many recommending: Magnesium, Vitamin B6, and L-Tyrosine. I got a 250mg Magnesium supplement and picked up a Vitamin B-50 Complex aswell.

I know many people here have been talking about the Fish Oil, does it really help with the medication? And does anybody know about L-Tyrosine? I was wondering if I should start supplementing these into my diet aswell. I know i'm probably not getting as much vitamins as I should from not eating as much and having more of a binge eating habit. Any recommendations and input are appreciated.
I personally cannot take the L-Tyrosine. It speeds me up too much and makes me very nauseated. I have heard other people say that they take the L-Tyrosine on the days that they don't take the Adderall.

"In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."
Old 02-03-09, 08:56 AM

demoez will become famous soon enough

I have found vitamins extremely important in the way my body responds to Adderall. I don't think doctors stress enough the importance of them. Read this thread so you don't make the same mistakes I did.

http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57996
Old 02-03-09, 07:46 PM
Contributor

anonone will become famous soon enough

WARNING

As I understand it,
L-Tyrosine amplifies Adderall (dangerously), and should only be taken later in the day. (this would explain nausia).

Magnesium amplifies Adderall, and should be taken later in the day.

After a month of taking fish oil, and momentary discontinuation of Adderall, I was able to speak very long sentences with out losing my place, or losing track of my conclusion. To me this was evidence that fish oil has a profound affect on some nasty side effects I suffer (ADD related if you will). I was also extremely self motivated. When I recontinued adderall (journled in first post of http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62353) at a lowish dose I actually noticed a decrease in my motivation (wasn't running around doing productive things anymore, AND my head still wasn't "calmed down" enough to do school work). Still looking into that.. but it's off topic anyway, and I g2g.
Old 02-03-09, 08:08 PM
Jr Member

Dexidrone is on a distinguished road

Both L-Tyrosine and L-Phenylalanine (the later is a precursor to the former) are precursors to dopamine which is the primary neurotransmitter dexidrine/adderall works on.

Wikipedia says it goes phenylalanine => tyrosine => L-DOPA => dopamine.

I take them both (the aminos I mean), but I also have lowered the dose of my adderall to a very low level. 2.5mg twice a day of the IR is enough... 5mg is almost too much (zombie).

As far as I'm concerned the the less amphetamines I have to use the better because they are slightly neurotoxic. Then again... free form amino acids aren't that well understood either so.... A multi, a B-50, and lots of water are prolly the best if you don't want experiment on your gray matter.
Old 02-03-09, 10:47 PM
Contributor

-Up above I meant "profound affect on some nasty *symptoms* I suffer"

Interesting strategy Dexidrone. Can you comment, do you notice any reduction in negative side effects from the Adderall, or increased performance? I've wondered if reducing the adderall intake by similar means would be safer.
Old 02-06-09, 06:01 AM
Jr Member

Rhinn is on a distinguished road

I'm confused. I thought things like Vitamin C and Citric Acid nulled out Adderall?
Old 02-06-09, 01:47 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhinn View Post
I'm confused. I thought things like Vitamin C and Citric Acid nulled out Adderall?
They do if you take them at the same time, so you just need to make a point of having them later in the day.
Old 02-09-09, 09:35 PM

WickedGirl is on a distinguished road

Depends on the form of Vitamin C I believe. No one should take Ascorbic Acid as their form of Vitamin C anyway. It is cheap and the chemical processes it undergoes in the body is not necessarily beneficial.Read "The Vitamin Code" for good information on this process. Ester C is an excellent form of C and should not interfere with the Adderall (it has not for me).

Tyrosine and Phenylalanine are great for me later in the day when the meds seem to be wearing off. Also, taking a tablespoon of Flax Oil twice a day, taking 400mg to 800mg of SAMe a day, taking a good B Complex once or twice a day, and definitely a good Magnesium supplement daily all seem helpful. Please purchase your supplements from a good vitamin store, not Walmart, Target, general drug stores, etc. The cheap sources of vitamins are just that...cheap, and in addition, contain additives, fillers, binders and colorings that most A.D.D. people should avoid.

Most cheap sources of Magnesium are made up of Magnesium Oxide. This is also not the best form of usable magnesium for the body (although it is a good laxative). Try to find a chelated magnesium, or one of the better forms of magnesium. Please Google.

By the way, in addition to a B Complex, taking extra B12 in the form of methylcobalamin is essential for A.D.D. folks. Most B12 sold is the cyanocobalamin form. Pretty useless for cognitive issues. Methylcobalamin os the only form of B12 known to actually cross the blood/brain barrier according to the research. Methylcobalamin has excellent effects on the nervous system in general. You will not get the same benefit from regular, cheap B12.

Oh, and I almost forgot. I also take an iron supplement now. I have located research stating that people with cognitive issues are often anemic or borderline anemic. I have always been borderline anemic. Since dehydration can cause blood results to look better than they really are in the iron area, and since Adderall causes me to be dehydrated, I have to assume that my "borderline" anemia is really true anemia. When I take my iron supplement, I feel much better (I take Hemaplex by Nature's Plus...no constipation ladies).

By the way....IT IS DANGEROUS TO SUPPLEMENT WITH IRON UNLESS YOU KNOW YOU ARE ANEMIC!!!. A large portion of the African-American population carries a genetic predisposition for something called Hemochromatosis. With Hemochromatosis, iron is not processed out of the body efficiently, so it can build up and cause heart damage, kidney damage, etc. Other population types can have this as well. So, know your iron store levels, and have them checked every so often while you take iron. Don't just arbitrarily take this one. http://www.hemochromatosis.org/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WickedGirl For This Useful Post:
kat-am (07-30-14), u4619 (02-10-09)
Old 12-13-11, 07:01 AM

drb10080 is on a distinguished road

I personally cannot take the L-Tyrosine. It speeds me up too much and makes me very nauseated. I have heard other people say that they take the L-Tyrosine on the days that they don't take the Adderall.Thank you! I've been trying for days to figure out was has been making me so sick. I had heard so many good things about L-Tyrosine that that was what it could be. I never took it with the adderall..either 150mg 4 hours before or during the comedown, but whenever I took it I felt so sick. Your post just validated that for me. I'm throwing out the darn bottle....it's too bad since it's so expensive and I hardly touched it.
Old 12-13-11, 07:03 AM

drb10080 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse708 View Post
I personally cannot take the L-Tyrosine. It speeds me up too much and makes me very nauseated. I have heard other people say that they take the L-Tyrosine on the days that they don't take the Adderall.
Thank you! I've been trying for days to figure out was has been making me so sick. I had heard so many good things about L-Tyrosine that that was what it could be. I never took it with the adderall..either 150mg 4 hours before or during the comedown, but whenever I took it I felt so sick. Your post just validated that for me. I'm throwing out the darn bottle....it's too bad since it's so expensive and I hardly touched it.