ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Meditation and Spirituality
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-13, 05:09 PM

quickiB is on a distinguished road
easy how to meditate?

I have a yoga mat and I just thought about taking up meditation. I know there's probably techniques and such a million other places, but it tends to overwhelm me and I get even more tense and unwilling to try.

So, if you please, tell me about a simple way to get started meditation, breathing, etc and how you got started, timeframe, etc. I think this could be helpful so I want an easy simple start.

As a side note, the only experience I have with mental stuff like this is sometimes when I'm in bed, instead of just naturally going to sleep, I'll be self-aware and feel my body becoming numb/stiff and I sort of will myself to feel "anaesthetized" and I'll see through my eyelids or blindfold (closed!!) and start to see the room around me and I always get scared and my heart beats super fast and I move and that's it.

This anecodte is perhaps strange, but its what has got me really interested in the capacities of the mind and awareness in this sense. I have started to realize that pretty much everything is socially constructed, and that maybe meditation and other techniques aren't useless after all.

Thanks everyone
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to quickiB For This Useful Post:
Daydreamin22 (10-01-13), MX2012 (09-28-13), sarek (09-16-13), Stevuke79 (10-08-13)
Old 09-16-13, 05:24 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: easy how to meditate?

The easy how-to is:

Join a meditation group, one whose approach feels like it suits you.

Without that, there are so many pitfalls, so many ways to give up.
Old 09-16-13, 05:31 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,271 Times in 8,601 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

You will find most of what you are looking for in mindfulness meditations. Personally, I am using a method where the idea is to try and attain awareness in ordinary daily life situations.
someothertime (10-02-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-13, 05:33 PM

quickiB is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the thought, but I am not really committed to becoming committed at this point. There really aren't any local groups, and I don't want to overcomplicate this.

"Actual" techniques please, thanks. Like, sit this way, breathe this many times etc...
Old 09-16-13, 05:53 PM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,967 Times in 9,011 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

Search on mindfulness meditation and Daniel Siegel. His plans and ideas make sense to me.
Old 09-16-13, 05:58 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Location: you carry your claim wherever you go - bob wier ACE
Thanked 1,469 Times in 924 Posts
Blanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant futureBlanched Dubois has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickiB View Post
I appreciate the thought, but I am not really committed to becoming committed at this point. There really aren't any local groups, and I don't want to overcomplicate this.

"Actual" techniques please, thanks. Like, sit this way, breathe this many times etc...
google it or bing it and please thanks best of luck and welcome hope you can learn meditation it takes breathing and not not thinking or and not not feeling ahahahaha

check out tomkenyon.com

lol

shpongle is a good technique and pay it forward

~ Sir Winston Churchill
Old 09-16-13, 07:05 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Here is a short instructional video that will walk you through the basics of mindfulness exercise in about 10 minutes. I've found it very helpful, even going back to it from time to time when I've slacked off for a while and need a little aid to get back into it. I don't think it gets any simpler than this.

Once you're ready to try it on your own, without the video, you might want to go for just 5 or 10 minutes, and increase the time as you are able. It takes some getting used to. If you use an iOS device, there's a free timer app called Timer+ by Minima that has a few timer sounds that aren't too jarring, including a tibetan bell and an airplane chime. Eventually, I bought some counting beads to use instead of a timer, but that's just a preference.

(I'm glad you posted this question because as it happens, I *have* been slacking off for a while, and procrastinating on getting started again. Even though I have seen first-hand how beneficial this exercise is, even practiced sporadically as I have done, I still find that it's a challenge to keep up the habit, just like physical exercise. This was a good reminder!)

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
sarek (09-17-13)
Old 09-19-13, 06:19 PM
Forum Guru

purpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud ofpurpleToes has much to be proud of

Overheard just now...

Young woman riding by on a bike, talking on her cell: "Dude, I just meditated for like, 5 hours, yesterday...and now it's like it's all rrRIGHT out the window!"

If life was like the Walking Dead then stupid people are like the zombies. They eat your face and slowly walk all over the place and get in your way.

--sarahsweets

I'm oblivious.
The Following User Says Thank You to purpleToes For This Useful Post:
ana futura (09-25-13)
Old 09-25-13, 12:22 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people think meditation involves sitting and not thinking. This is a mistake.

Meditation involves sitting and experiencing what is happening. Thoughts happen. Let them come, let them go, without grasping. Notice that the come without your intention, they go without your intention. Realize that the thoughts are not "you" or "yours" because you cannot control when they come or go.

By so realizing, realize that they are just a thing that happens. Like waves rolling into shore from the sea, and then drawing back out, thoughts rise and fall but cannot be said to be yours. They cannot even be said to be real.

The actual benefit of meditation does not come from the time that you can sit there in single-pointed focus, but in the time that you realize that, while trying to sit in single-pointed focus, thoughts have arisen without your control. The realization that you've become distracted is far more important than not becoming distracted, because this is where mindfulness is achieved.
ana futura (09-25-13), daveddd (09-25-13), JFK4525 (03-22-14), mattif (10-02-13), Nachons (10-03-13), sarek (09-25-13)
Old 09-25-13, 12:24 AM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Sit how you're comfortable. Breathe naturally. Focus on the sensation of breathing, not the process of breathing. Experience what it feels like to breathe in and to breathe out.

Don't force anything. Don't grasp.

In the words of Tilopa, a great Yogi of Tibet:

Don't recall.
Don't imagine.
Don't think.
Don't examine.
Don't control.
Rest.

In other words:

Let go of what's passed.
Let go of what may come.
Let go of what is happening now.
Don't try to figure anything out.
Don't try to make anything happen.
Relax, right now, and rest.
daveddd (09-25-13), JFK4525 (03-22-14)
Old 09-25-13, 12:34 AM

Thanked 6,241 Times in 3,064 Posts
ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

I find it "easiest" to start with guided meditations.

The body scan is one of my favorites.

There's a body scan here along with several other guided meditations-
http://health.ucsd.edu/specialties/m...ges/audio.aspx

These are from John Kabat Zinn's Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction program, which is often offered as an 8 week course, sometimes paid, sometimes for free. It was own my first lengthy intro to meditation, and I got a lot out of it. Google MBSR for more info or to find a course near you. Or just read Zinn's "Full Catastrophe Living" and do the meditations I linked to on your own.

Zen centers are also a great option for free instruction.

My favorite book on meditation for ADHD is Lydia Zylowska's "The Mindfulness Prescription for ADHD", which also comes with shorter guided audio meditations.

There is really no substitute for a good, real live, instructor though. Meditation is not always pleasant, sometimes it's nice to have another human to help you through the process. A therapist familiar with mindfulness (and there are many) could also help you interpret your experiences. At the very least, do some reading beforehand so you have a better idea of what to expect (and not expect)

I would say, since you don't want to "commit" right now, start with the body scan and do that for a few weeks. Then, if your interest has increased, seek out further instruction, from a human or book.
The Following User Says Thank You to ana futura For This Useful Post:
ActionAimz (10-08-13)
Old 09-25-13, 12:40 AM

ana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond reputeana futura has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleToes View Post
Overheard just now...

Young woman riding by on a bike, talking on her cell: "Dude, I just meditated for like, 5 hours, yesterday...and now it's like it's all rrRIGHT out the window!"
That was probably me
Old 09-25-13, 12:44 AM

Quote:
There really aren't any local groups, and I don't want to overcomplicate this.
I doubt that's true, unless you live in a very rural area. Google "sangha locator" or "sangha" plus where you live to see if you find anything.

Or scroll down to Canada on this page-
http://www.dharmaweb.org/index.php/North_America
Old 09-25-13, 12:45 AM
Contributor

Reekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to allReekwind is a name known to all

What is your goal? What is it you aspire to gain through meditation? I've personally come to conclude that there is no *right* way of meditating. But there certainly are ways that generally are more efficient but it all depends and it's very personal.

That one worked wonders for me the first time I meditated, just sit still and concentrate on listening to the music and you'll eventually realize what you are supposed to work for and how. It came quite naturally for me atleast after I got a taste for it, it's like that feeling of gaining an important insight regarding life.

/Good luck, kramisar! ^^ J.
Old 09-25-13, 04:24 AM
Jr Member

SteveEk is on a distinguished road

Thanks to all who share their valuable thoughts on meditation. According to me the easiest way to meditate is to stay alone and focus on your goal, this I tell you from my personal experience.