ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Bipolar
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-12, 05:48 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 8,348 Times in 3,313 Posts
salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute
Stephen Fry .....

.....I know that most people know that Stephen Fry is bi-polar.....what you may not know is that he has done a series about it ....and as usual with anything Stephen Fry does....it is well thought out, and brilliant ....

..The man has been a personal hero of mine for many years....I have watched his show Qi on you tube for years, each episode about 6 times so far ....he is amazing ...

...but this is for you guys, the first episode of the bi-polar tape

..oh and for you younger folks ...if you watch "House" that is Hugh Laurie playing House ...he and Stephen Fry were comedy partners in many shows in England for years...they went to Cambridge together with Emma Thomson and have been friends since then ....

there are episodes of "A bit of Fry and Laurie" on you tube , as well as parts of the Jeeves Series they did together ....

.....he is a remarkable talent .....

....This isn't life in the fast lane, it's life in the oncoming traffic lane"
Terry Pratchett

....If you're going through hell, ......keep going.....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
Abi (09-01-12), ADDinHDefgHi?! (09-21-12), ana futura (08-31-12), BR549 (09-21-12), CheekyMonkey (08-31-12), Fuzzy12 (08-31-12), keliza (09-04-12)
Old 08-31-12, 06:32 PM

Thanked 30,277 Times in 13,951 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Stephen Fry .....

i loved him as jeeves. And Hugh Laurie is just brilliant. I've never watched house but i think he must be one of the best actors ever. Sal have you seen the travel program with Stephen fry in the us? Maybe i just imagined it but his mood really seemed to be different. He seemed very subdued. I always wondered if he was going through a depressive episode.
Old 09-01-12, 12:38 AM
Forum Guru

mad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to beholdmad83 is a splendid one to behold

I wasn't a big fan of Jeeves and Wooster. A Bit of Fry and Laurie is hilarious though.

I loved them both in Blackadder.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-12, 12:47 AM

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,333 Posts
CheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud ofCheekyMonkey has much to be proud of

I love him!

I started watching this and then had to go do something else. I hope I remember to come back and finish it. Although living through a partner getting hospitalized/diagnosed I'm a little worried about triggers.

Is it super depressing?

[0,0]
|)__)
-”-”-
Old 09-01-12, 03:17 AM

salleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond reputesalleh has a reputation beyond repute

That's a hard question to answer ....I think that bi-polar is a rough problem to have and he pulls no punches ......I just wish those of us with ADHD had a spokesperson 1/2 as eloquent as Stephen Fry ......

I think he is serioulsy afficted with it .....I don't really know much about bi-polarness....I am assuming that it is also a spectrum disorder like ADHD .....but I am not sure about that ....

It seems to me to be a lot more extreme than ADHD as far as behaviour goes ....the mood swings are SO extreme.....

I forgot about Blcak ADDer . oo I didn't do that on purpose ....I look at the keyboard when I type and looked up to see ADDer ...*snert*

no one watches Qi huh? ..that show makes me fall of the chair laughing .....but British shows are always sharper and more racy than American shows .....there's too much Puritan/ they shall remain nameless but apparently they went through the birth process twice kind of folks influencing American TV ....you know ....lame .....

been watching MInd the Buzzcocks for the last 4 days and giggling maniacally at it ....never heard of pretty much all of the musicians they have one it ...but it is one of the funniest things I have seen, well, since the last time I watched anything British on you tube ....

Terry Pratchett

Old 09-01-12, 03:37 AM
Contributor

Lisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of lightLisa_Mac is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
no one watches Qi huh? ..that show makes me fall of the chair laughing .....but British shows are always sharper and more racy than American shows .....there's too much Puritan/ they shall remain nameless but apparently they went through the birth process twice kind of folks influencing American TV ....you know ....lame .....
Thanks for posting this video Salleh. I love QI. It's the funniest show EVER. I wasn't aware that he was bi polar. Such a brilliant man.

Lx
The Following User Says Thank You to Lisa_Mac For This Useful Post:
salleh (09-01-12)
Old 09-04-12, 11:42 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,917 Times in 823 Posts
keliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond reputekeliza has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
I think he is serioulsy afficted with it .....I don't really know much about bi-polarness....I am assuming that it is also a spectrum disorder like ADHD .....but I am not sure about that ....

It seems to me to be a lot more extreme than ADHD as far as behaviour goes ....the mood swings are SO extreme.....
Thanks for the video share, Salleh! I adore Stephen Fry, he's such a great advocate for bipolar disorder.

Also, yes, bipolar disorder is a spectrum disorder, in that you can be diagnosed in many different ways along the bipolar spectrum (bipolar I, bipolar II, cyclothymia, or bipolar NOS).

The diagnostic criteria are based on the intensity of the types of episodes a person has. Bipolar I has both full-blown manic and depressive episodes. Bipolar II has full-blown depressive episodes but only mild manias (hypomania). Cyclothymia has mild depressive episodes and hypomanias. Bipolar NOS is a "not otherwise specified" diagnosis that basically means the person has abnormal moods that don't fit into the diagnostic criteria for any of the other forms of bipolar disorder, but are clearly more abnormal than major depression alone.

You're also right that bipolar disorder is generally more extreme than ADHD as far as behavior goes. ADHD sucks, but it won't land you in the psych ward for a 72 hour hold like bipolar disorder will. They're just completely different kinds of disorders, really. They do overlap in a statistically significant way, more so than would be expected by stats alone, but they are quite separate illnesses.

"I've got a mountain to climb before I get over this hill
I've got the world to unwind before I ever sit still..."
- A Long Way to Get, Bob Schneider
The Following User Says Thank You to keliza For This Useful Post:
salleh (09-04-12)
Old 09-04-12, 12:07 PM
Suspended Account

Thanked 4,738 Times in 2,556 Posts
Blueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond reputeBlueranne has a reputation beyond repute

I remember watching his docu-video on being bipolar. I remember liking it for the most part, but there was something about it that also bugged me... Of course what exactly that was is the part that I can't remember.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueranne For This Useful Post:
salleh (09-04-12)
Old 09-19-12, 03:55 PM

Thanked 1,373 Times in 901 Posts
avjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond reputeavjgirsijdhtjhs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by salleh View Post
That's a hard question to answer ....I think that bi-polar is a rough problem to have and he pulls no punches ......I just wish those of us with ADHD had a spokesperson 1/2 as eloquent as Stephen Fry ......

I'll just say this: Fry's a handful, and that's putting it extremely lightly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoweringvirt View Post
Fry has admitted that he intends to put deplorable thoughts in our children's minds. Okay, that may have been a particularly bald-faced and unsubtle example, but mass anxiety is the equivalent of steroids for Fry. If we feel helpless, Fry is energized and ramps up his efforts to prop up corrupt despots around the world. Until we address this issue, we will never move beyond it.
Old 09-19-12, 04:40 PM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,193 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future

I really enjoy watching QI, my husband knows it's guaranteed to make me giggle.
I liked Stephen Fry's appearance as a pdoc in the tv series Bones. He lends something special to all of his characters.

I didn't know he had bi-polar but I guess it makes sense.
Old 09-19-12, 07:11 PM

What on earth is flowering whatever talking about ...and where did you find that ? ....I don't see it on this thread .....

it doesn't even make any sense .....

Terry Pratchett

The Following User Says Thank You to salleh For This Useful Post:
avjgirsijdhtjhs (09-19-12)
Old 09-19-12, 07:23 PM
Well Modulated Moderator

Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,193 Posts
amberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant futureamberwillow has a brilliant future

That quote by thetoweringvirt was taken from another thread - The Hiliarious Letter Generator.

Weird!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amberwillow For This Useful Post:
avjgirsijdhtjhs (09-19-12), salleh (09-19-12)
Old 09-21-12, 07:17 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud ofADDinHDefgHi?! has much to be proud of

I watched this documentary about a year ago, it's really good, I enjoyed it. Very interesting in ways I wouldn't have expected, like how all of the people in it if they had a choice would prefer to be Bipolar than not. (except for one person)

Stephen Fry is very interesting to me, I also love Hugh Laurie. British TV shows almost always make me laugh harder than American ones. Richard Dreyfuss is in this documentary too, he lives close to the town I live in (or has a house here and lives here sometimes) and I have seen him at random times, I saw him at super cuts, which surprised me. It's interesting to hear about his struggles with Bipolar since I love his work and see him randomly around town.

Thanks for posting this I'm gonna watch it again.
“I hate turkeys. If you stand in the meat section at the grocery store long enough, you start to get mad at turkeys. There's turkey ham, turkey bologna, turkey pastrami,...someone needs to tell the turkey, man, just be yourself!”
-Mitch Hedberg

“My nephew has HDADHD. High Definition Attention Deficit Disorder. He can barely pay attention, but when he does it's unbelievably clear.”
-Steven Wright

"Consistency is the last refuge of the unimaginative."
-Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to ADDinHDefgHi?! For This Useful Post:
salleh (09-21-12)