ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 01-27-05, 01:47 AM
Contributor

pittguy578 is on a distinguished road
Lack Of Direction/Job Problems

I graduated in April of 2000 from a major university. I graduated with high honors despite having ADHD and living in a frat house. I can't believe how many items I lost and how disorganized I was. It was definitely a miracle.. I graduated in 4 years, but I was not able to work during the school year. It took all I had to focus on school.

I got a job with a large automotive finance company, and then I was laid off due to a restructuring. I got another job,this time in the insurance industry, and I have been currently employed with the same company for a little over two years.

I do a good job despite my lack of organizational skills. Every single supervisor has noted my lack of them. I can't seem to focus on being neat and appearing organized, especially when there are other more important things to be done (at least in my mind). I was rated an as asset to my unit, and I have a good relationship with my boss. He likes the fact that I think outside the box, and I am very bright and able to make quick decisions with very little information. I have only been there two years, and I have been able to solve problems managers with many more years of experience weren't sure about.

However, despite my good reviews, I absolutely hate my job. I have applied for other jobs within the same company, not within the same office though, in areas that I may want to pursue such as marketing, but I feel like there is something in my file indicating that I have ADHD because I feel like I am continually blocked despite my performance. I feel kind of aimless. I know I am not happy doing what I am doing, but I feel stuck, and even more so because of my ADHD quirks. I really want to get out of there, but the job market sucks..but I feel like if I stay there, it will be harder to transition to something that I really want to do such as sales/marketing.I am not sure how long I can keep working just for a paycheck. ...I am ready to quit my job and do something else. less stressful until I figure out what to do..I was even considering getting my CDL license...

Anyone else in a similar situation? How did you get out?
Old 01-27-05, 08:46 PM

Lazy Daisy is on a distinguished road
Hang in there, Pittguy!

The sayings "One day at a time" and "Make lemonade out of lemons" got me through some rough times at an old job. Luckily things brightened up for me and I've been at my current place for 15 years!

In the mean time, try builiding up more "resume food" by volunteering or freelancing your sales/marketing talents. And don't forget about getting those all important references and letters of recommendation along the way.
Old 01-27-05, 09:12 PM

thoughthopping is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Man, I'd love to give you advice, but were in the exact same boat. I've been out of college a few years now and I've had several different jobs. My problem is not becoming aimed, but staying aimed. My last job for instance, was in sales. At first, I performed like I had a flame under my a**. I was promoted twice within a month and was even beginning to train new hires and coach them on selling. However slowly but surely, my interest faded and my performance went downhill. Before I knew it, one day I just stopped going to work all together. Now I find myself in a horrible job market taking any kind of work I can get. Right now I'm shoveling snow. Last month king of the world, today... snow shoveler. So I wish I had some advice for you, but all I have to offer you is my experience in your situation so you could use it as something you probably don't want to do. I can also tell you that the lesson I learned from this is that sometimes you have to take a step back and re-dedicate yourself to your job. By the way an office is an ADD nightmare. Consider a job where scenary changes everyday.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-05, 11:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

Swamp Donkey is on a distinguished road
I can't imagine having ADHD and working in an office. Or rather, I can imagine it and the thought terrifies me. Talk about a caged animal!
I guess I've been fortunate in that I've understood myself well enough or something that I've almost always had unusualy jobs with lots of variety.
I've noticed that you are making a lot of posts about your employment, so obviously this is a big issue for you.
My thoughts are to first spend some time really figuring out what you like and don't like in terms of work and work environment, and then start looking for jobs/careers that you might fit in to.
I've never just up and quit a job on a whim, but I've made many job changes over the years, and its made my work life a lot more interesting that it would have been other wise.
I don't know why, but as I read your post I envision you needing to be in a job doing outside sales or something: travel, variety, stimulation, challenge, variety, stimulation, etc. Did I mention variety and stimulation?

How about being an insurance adjuster and going around to fires, floods, accidents and other calamities for a job?
Ever been out in the woods and felt like you were being watched?
** Photo taken March 1999 near The Forks, Maine.**
Old 01-28-05, 07:54 PM
Contributor

Thanks for the advice. I am looking for something else. Pittsburgh isn't exactly a booming job market. I keep on applying, and I am getting some interviews. No one has bitten yet. I just redicated myself to the job search after a hiatus. I had a number of personal issues late last summer and fall which kept me from looking for another job. I was in no emotional state to start a new one. I actually got job in sales in Chicago early last summer, but one of my immediate family members got very ill during the time between my last interview and between when I received the offer..I couldn't relocate due to the family situation..

I am applying for other positions within the same company that aren't in my local office. I hate to move, but I may have no choice. I need to do something different. I feel like I am not utiliziing my potential..
Old 02-01-05, 08:18 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughthopping
Man, I'd love to give you advice, but were in the exact same boat. I've been out of college a few years now and I've had several different jobs. My problem is not becoming aimed, but staying aimed. My last job for instance, was in sales. At first, I performed like I had a flame under my a**. I was promoted twice within a month and was even beginning to train new hires and coach them on selling. However slowly but surely, my interest faded and my performance went downhill. Before I knew it, one day I just stopped going to work all together
I have felt like just not going to work. It's so hard for me to change even when there is an opportunity. My friend told me about the the practice of "burning the boat" . I think that may be my only impetus to change. I have enough money saved that it would not be a big deal for me to lay low, and I am not afraid of taking part time jobs to make ends meet until I find something that I actually want to do.