ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 02-01-18, 08:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
How many types of anxiety are there?

1)chronically overaroused FEAR system (freeze or flight responses)
2)chronically overaroused GRIEF system (separation anxiety)
3)....

(Feel free to add to the list)

M
Old 02-02-18, 02:13 AM

Thanked 1,141 Times in 857 Posts
mildadhd has disabled reputation
Re: How many types of anxiety are there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mildadhd View Post
1)chronically overaroused FEAR system (freeze or flight responses)
2)chronically overaroused GRIEF system (separation anxiety)
3)
(Revision #1)

1) The chronically aroused FEAR system can produce a freeze response i) a type of hypoactive (sluggish/inattentive) anxiety, and the chronically aroused FEAR system can also produce a flight response ii) a type of hyperactive anxiety.

2)The chronically overaroused PANIC/GRIEF system (separation anxiety/separation depression) can produce i) a type of hyperactive anxiety and ii) a type of hypoactive (sluggish/inattentive) depression.

3) (feel free to add to the list)

M

Last edited by sarahsweets; 03-04-18 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: mistakenly hit the wrong button.
Old 03-04-18, 10:53 AM

Lash107 is on a distinguished road

Are you asking how many types of disorders?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lash107 For This Useful Post:
mildadhd (03-13-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-18, 12:08 PM

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I found this helpful in understanding anxiety:

Image result for Anxiety

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 03-04-18, 12:15 PM

Thanked 25,450 Times in 11,835 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

And this is from the DSM-5:

Quote:
B]Sections[/b]
  • Separation Anxiety Disorder
  • Selective Mutism
  • Specific Phobia
  • Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia)
  • Panic Disorder
  • Panic Attack Specifier
  • Agoraphobia
  • Generalized Anxiety Disorder
  • Substance/Medication-Induced Anxiety Disorder
  • Anxiety Disorder Due to Another Medical Condition
  • Other Specified Anxiety Disorder
  • Unspecified Anxiety Disorder

Excerpt
Anxiety disorders include disorders that share features of excessive fear and anxiety and related behavioral disturbances. Fear is the emotional response to real or perceived imminent threat, whereas anxiety is anticipation of future threat.

Obviously, these two states overlap, but they also differ, with fear more often associated with surges of autonomic arousal necessary for fight or flight, thoughts of immediate danger, and escape behaviors, and anxiety more often associated with muscle tension and vigilance in preparation for future danger and cautious or avoidant behaviors.

Sometimes the level of fear or anxiety is reduced by pervasive avoidance behaviors. Panic attacks feature prominently within the anxiety disorders as a particular type of fear response. Panic attacks are not limited to anxiety disorders but rather can be seen in other mental disorders as well.
I found the second paragraph especially interesting. Fear comes and goes but
anxiety is chronic.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunacie For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-04-18)
Old 03-04-18, 02:01 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 31,445 Times in 14,474 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think I am having a hard time understanding what you are asking about. You list terms that I am getting confused by because they are not typical names for anxiety.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lash107 (03-09-18), psychopathetic (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 08:20 AM
Secret Squirrel!! Moderator

Thanked 13,179 Times in 5,335 Posts
TygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond reputeTygerSan has a reputation beyond repute

When I was working in a lab researching anxiety, there was a real effort to distinguish between a generalized state of anxiety, without a specific environmental trigger, and a more specific fear response that was triggered by a very specific environmental cue. The former state we hypothesized was more related to generalized anxiety disorder whereas response to the specific cue we hypothesized would be more related to the anxiety/fear responses we would get with a specific phobia.

"being lost,/ being crazy maybe/ is not so bad/ if you can be/ that way/ undisturbed."
Charles Bukowski
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TygerSan For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (03-07-18), mildadhd (03-13-18), namazu (03-07-18)
Old 03-07-18, 08:50 AM
e-(((hug))) extraordinaire!

Thanked 14,365 Times in 7,150 Posts
psychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond reputepsychopathetic has a reputation beyond repute

I counted them once.

There were exactly 1,486 of them.

P.S.
I'm lying.
I can't count pass 20.

(((((((MOM)))))))
I'll always fondly remember.