ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-14, 10:11 PM
ADDvanced Member

SB1985 is a jewel in the roughSB1985 is a jewel in the roughSB1985 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Do you tell people you have ADD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB1985 View Post
I was worried about telling my s/o other too because she is the type who is VERY organized, takes planning very seriously, overly detail-oriented (military) and for months we've both been frustrated because I am the complete opposite. I thought she'd tell me I am reaching for excuses when I told her but so far she's been.. about as supportive as one would expect from her I guess..
Ha.. "it was all good just a week ago.."
Old 02-06-14, 03:59 AM
Suspended Account

Thanked 5,300 Times in 2,835 Posts
Gilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond reputeGilthranon has a reputation beyond repute

With recent successes of practically everyone I tell coming out of the closet themselves, whenever I tell about mine - yeah I tell it - also partially cause of the neutral rep it has in French countries

A colleague of mine has come out of the closet
The Following User Says Thank You to Gilthranon For This Useful Post:
stef (02-06-14)
Old 02-06-14, 04:24 AM
Zen moderator

Thanked 26,882 Times in 13,055 Posts
stef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond reputestef has a reputation beyond repute

I really should try this more often! I just have always had the impression that they will have no idea what I'm talking about in the first place.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-14, 01:10 PM
Jr Member

gbregnz is on a distinguished road

I only tell people if I need to. I guess this is due to negative experiences of telling those who I am close with. They are not always understanding and sometimes I feel like they baby me.
Old 02-26-14, 12:31 PM

gazingupwards is on a distinguished road

I am extremely open, and my main reason for letting my boss know that I had ADD was because I was just starting the medication. If my performance was adversely affected or she could see negative changes in me I wanted to know. My work performance has only increased and she has no probs letting me go by pharmacy anytime to pick up a new scriot.. And why should she since she has a dependable happy worker? I could not honestly tell you if ADD is a real medical problem, or just a difference in thinking which can be overcome. I have always had the symptoms of ADD since childhood but, managed them. After a divorce and a new job my symptoms became so overwhelming that it became in my best interest to try out medicine. I have talked openly about it with others and have heard different opinions. Sometimes the opinions annoy me, but I listen. I think that my willingness to be open would also depend on the importance and position of the job. For example if I were to work with mentally ill patients, I might be hesitant to talk about being on meds for add out of fear of being seen as a mental patient myself. Honestly though sometimes I feel so strongly about the benefits of Adderall that I wish they'd just add it to our water supply..lol It helps all people not just those with severe symptoms, and that is the curious thing about this drug. I am naturally interested in a million things and have a tendency to crave to share the information I have learned with others. I enjoy a good debate for the fun of it at times too. I blame my upbringing.
Old 04-04-14, 12:09 PM
Jr Member

Rjinnx is on a distinguished road

I've told a few people in the past about circumstances. They get annoyed with how I handle, what I do, or how I am anyway so we just distance, even if I don't take any of that frustration out on anyone at all. I don't talk or tell anyone about it anymore and keep it private.
Old 04-12-14, 04:40 AM

chavvy132 will become famous soon enough

You can tell, but quite a lot don't listen. I advise go to Blurb Publishing and search user ProSo or The Toolbox for Happiness with the Controversial Truth. Best step you will ever take in your life, its simply a no brainer :-)
Old 04-12-14, 06:14 PM

whitsitt is on a distinguished road

medicated: NO

when not medicated: try not to, but do

when meds are not working right: dude hows my mood?
Old 04-15-14, 03:46 AM

seanmotive is on a distinguished road

Being in college, I usually don't tell people I have ADD. It is super annoying to hear almost every single college student answer back, "yeah me too, just not too bad" or "dude, can you hook me up with Adderall?"
The Following User Says Thank You to seanmotive For This Useful Post:
teleporter (07-31-14)
Old 04-21-14, 06:07 PM
Forum ADDvocate

xraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud ofxraylady33 has much to be proud of

I am truly amazed how long ago I posted this thread!!!! wow..I hope everyone is well!!!

Old 04-21-14, 11:20 PM
Jr Member

Un_Contained is on a distinguished road

I straight up tell people I have ADD. I post articles about what a person with ADD/ADHD suffers on my Facebook, so that if I've done something that others may think is weird, they might per chance stumble upon my post and read the article to gain a better understanding of my behavior (which I do sometimes regret). But I also post about it because I am a creative and artistic person who has accomplished some pretty neat stuff in my life so far, and I want people to know that those of us with ADD/ADHD can still contribute something positive to society (because all I see is a lot of negativity when discussing ADD/ADHD). I also don't want people to give up on kids they may know with ADD/ADHD. I want them to give those kids a chance, especially in school. Traditional teaching methods really don't work for ADD'rs like me. My mind is not wired to think inside the box, it's wired to think outside of it. The box works as a trap and suffocates my interest in learning. And before anyone beats me to it, yes, I do know the tale about Pandora.
The Following User Says Thank You to Un_Contained For This Useful Post:
LmpySpcPrincess (05-05-14)
Old 05-05-14, 11:39 AM
Jr Member

LmpySpcPrincess is on a distinguished road

I've been debating this. As of now I've shared my "suspicions" with my husband, mother, sister and a close friend. I think my sister may have it too but she doesn't seem interested. She's got a difficult personality. My mom thought it made a lot of sense and believes she and my father probably both have it too, though she's developed some good coping mechanisms and has been pretty successful. My husband has been supportive but he's not to interested in discussing it. My friend was really excited for me, lol. She's dyslexic and knows how good it can feel to finally understand what's going on and then be able to work with it. I've always been considered intelligent and creative so I think mostly they're happy that I can start overcoming some of the challenges I've faced, like my education.

I may tell a few more close friends, but other than that I feel conflicted. I'd like to share, but the popular opinion right now is that it's not a "real disorder". I don't really feel like defending myself, or people thinking it's an excuse.
Old 05-15-14, 12:27 AM
Jr Member

Sunshineblue is on a distinguished road

I was diagnosed a year ago, in my early 40's, after years of dysthymia and recurrent depression. I've tried to be pretty open with friends and family, but the most common response is awkward silence.
My dad's response was classic: "That's ridiculous! If YOU have AD/HD then this whole family has AD/HD!" I chose not to fill the silence that followed that outburst.
Eventually I got some acceptance along with, "but you aren't going to take medication for it are you? Promise me you'll talk to me before you do that!"
...So I've been keeping the Rx to myself...which sucks...
Old 05-31-14, 05:25 PM

Johnny OndaSpot is on a distinguished road

Lot of stuff to think about here. And again, a big thank you to everyone sharing from their experiences.

I kinda jumped from around page 18 to the end, did we ever find a supplier for the capes or settle on a logo?

I hope to be re-entering the full time job market soon and the job I have in my cross-hairs is a Federal position where I get fingerprinted, background checked, inspected-injected-infected-dejected, and fondled in a way I usually would have to pay a proctologist. It's not a question of IF I tell them, but a question of when and how. On one hand, with diagnosis, I get points in my favor for the "Do you have a disability?" question. On the other, it's a detail oriented sort of job.

Can anyone share some pointers with me?
Old 06-01-14, 07:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

ADDofftheWall will become famous soon enough

I used to all the time, but then I started noticing that I was blaming everything on the ADHD. For example, if I forgot to text someone back or fulfill an obligation, I would just say "My bad, it's the ADD".Kind of got out of control. However, after some time I stopped drawing attention to it. Once people get to know me they might notice the occasional lapse of attention and ask about it, in which case I'll tell them. Most people sort of guess or figure it out. My girlfriend knew for awhile and when I finally told her about it after months of dating she wasn't surprised but it did not affect our relationship. I try not to tell people that I work with because I don't want it to affect their opinion. The disorder is still slightly stigmatized since >5% of the population meets the criteria for diagnosis and most people are able to work around it or seek out environments or activities that are ADD/ADHD friendly.

When I had an internship at my university a few years ago, my supervisor asked if I had the condition to which I said yes. And he told me that he knew way ahead of time and that there wasn't anything to be ashamed of because he too suffers from it so it worked well.

Basically, you should be wary of who you disclose the illness too. Family and close friends is fine because chances are they will not judge you for it. But if you are able to develop efficient coping mechanisms to work around the impairment, people may never seem to notice as long as it doesn't interfere with your functioning (especially in social and occupational contexts).